1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Oct '12 14:34
    During the dark ages, priests saved books from destruction and degradation from weather and such. Now religious right wing nuts want to do just the opposite, 1000 years later. Who said repression is dead?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Oct '12 14:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    During the dark ages, priests saved books from destruction and degradation from weather and such. Now religious right wing nuts want to do just the opposite, 1000 years later. Who said repression is dead?
    Priests were also responsible for the destruction of a lot of books/knowledge and deliberately and systematically suppressed anything they saw as a threat.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 14:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Priests were also responsible for the destruction of a lot of books/knowledge and deliberately and systematically suppressed anything they saw as a threat.
    Well, do you want everybody to know how to use voodoo against you?
  4. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 15:06
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Since it is ineffectual, I couldn't give a monkey's personally.

--- Penguin.
  5. Wat?
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 15:11
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Since it is ineffectual, I couldn't give a monkey's personally.

--- Penguin.
    Come on RJ. Make a doll of Mikelom, stick pins in it and see if it hurts me half-way around the globe from you.

As Penguin said, voodoo is ineffectual and can't hurt me neither.

Do you care to differ?

-m.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 15:20
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am generally against the hording of information. I don't like the way governments hoard secrets to protect themselves (I think it is fundamentally wrong that a democratic government gets to hide what they are doing from the populace). I don't like the way governments try to control information flow to other nations - mostly for selfish reasons ie they want to profit from the information. I don't like the way scientific institutions and culture is generally structures such that scientists hoard their findings and do not want to share or assist others.
    I am a strong believer that sharing benefits us all - especially when it comes to knowledge.
    So, my answer is that if everyone can learn voodoo then we will, together, find ways to use it to make the world a better place. Keeping yourself and others ignorant of voodoo is ultimately not the best strategy.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 18:402 edits
    I am generally against the hording of information. I don't like the way governments hoard secrets to protect themselves (I think it is fundamentally wrong that a democratic government gets to hide what they are doing from the populace). I don't like the way governments try to control information flow to other nations - mostly for selfish reasons ie they w er place. Keeping yourself and others ignorant of voodoo is ultimately not the best strategy.
    Replace 'voodoo' with 'atomic fission'.

Would your statements (and the other statements in this thread) make sense then?

The US (and Israel) are trying to keep the secrets of atomic fission (as a weapon) hidden from Iran (and Hezbollah). Is that good, or bad?
  8. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 19:561 edit
    To be accurate, between the Fourth and the Fourteenth centuries priests - who had a monopoly of learning - systematically destroyed or concealed or re-wrote in their own way books that did not suit their purposes. What was saved in that huge interval of theocracy was saved by the Muslims, from whom Western Europe were later able to rediscover the works of the Greeks and the later developments achieved in Islamic countries including Spain prior to the so called "reconquista" and the inquisition that reduced Spain to an intellectually barren wasteland of conformity.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 02:39
    Originally posted by finnegan
    To be accurate, between the Fourth and the Fourteenth centuries priests - who had a monopoly of learning - systematically destroyed or concealed or re-wrote in their own way books that did not suit their purposes. What was saved in that huge interval of theocracy was saved by the Muslims, from whom Western Europe were later able to rediscover the works of t ...[text shortened]... a" and the inquisition that reduced Spain to an intellectually barren wasteland of conformity.
    Where do you guys come up with this crap?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 02:53
    What in the world are you talking about?
    Kelly
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 09:04
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Replace 'voodoo' with 'atomic fission'.

Would your statements (and the other statements in this thread) make sense then?
    Yes, my statements still stand.

The US (and Israel) are trying to keep the secrets of atomic fission (as a weapon) hidden from Iran (and Hezbollah). Is that good, or bad?
    Bad.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 11:19
    Yes, my statements still stand.

[b]The US (and Israel) are trying to keep the secrets of atomic fission (as a weapon) hidden from Iran (and Hezbollah). Is that good, or bad?

Bad.[/b]
    So it would be ok for a small terrorist group to threaten large countries with atomic bombs instead of regular bombs as it is now?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 11:22
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What in the world are you talking about?
    Kelly
    I'm talking about the right wing nut jobs in the US and elsewhere wanting to kill evolution and other sciences refuting biblical fairy tales.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 13:32
    So it would be ok for a small terrorist group to threaten large countries with atomic bombs instead of regular bombs as it is now?
    Its not OK for terrorists to threaten anybody.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 15:38
    I'm talking about the right wing nut jobs in the US and elsewhere wanting to kill evolution and other sciences refuting biblical fairy tales.
    We wish to revive the truth for everyone. Evolution does not fit in with the truth. So pedal your wares to the science forum. 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree