1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Nov '10 15:29
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    For example, the moment you accept that Jesus rose from the dead, you are disrespecting the science of Biology.
    Why is that? Biology, like all sciences, is an unfinished business.
  2. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 01:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes but why? for indeed as Paul states, if Christ has not arisen from the dead then our faith is certainly futile, he them quotes the Epicureans, 'If the dead are not to be raised up, “let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we are to die.” Without the resurrection scripture makes absolutely no sense and a Christians faith is certainly in vain.
    That Paul experienced some phenomenon is highly probable. But its cause and nature is unconfirmed. And it appears true that Christianity would have to let go a lot with its central historic insistence that a dead corpse literally "rose again and ascended into heaven".

But there are those of liberal persuasion that appear to get a lot from the path despite not believing in a literal resurrection. It was a gnostic theme at the time, divine personages sent direct from God. Virgin births and resurrections were found in numerous gnostic stories of the time unrelated to the Jesus story. Christians tend to conveniently ignore the historic setting of the time.

The compilation of the New Testament accounts were mostly nearly a century, (or more) after the man's life. Jesus appears to have been a compelling figure closely associated with the mystical Essenes of the time. Mark was the earliest and it presents a far more human Jesus than the later doctrinally more influenced writings. There is clearly a lot of "cut and pasting" in the compilation of the New Testament.

It appears also very naive and simplistic to think that one must have a person "resurrect" to live a life of value or to have a death transcendent understanding of life. It also appears the then Jewish belief of "raising the dead" at the return of the Messiah (a physical rising) is a tad hard to take in these days.

I think accepting ancient myth-making is a more fruitful way to go, and still much to be had from some streams of Christianity, with a rich history of deep theological reflection and contemplation.

These mythological add-ons happen in all the religions, even Buddhism that principally persuades me.. Humans like a good story, and "stories" can also be the manipulating self-serving means of those seeking some sort of power, religious or political.
  3. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 01:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i never chose anything as representative of the developed, it was merely a point of interest used for its content rather than any insidious attempt at defamation, it was never intended to be reflective of the site itself, but now that you mention it. . . . well who can say, as for the intentions of the heart, are you yet claiming to be able to discern them? to read them so as to form an understanding, well well, how intwesting 😉
    I think I may have over interpreted your intention. The site is good and varied and it appeared as if you were dismissing it on the basis of one poster's rather incoherent statements.
    I think the poster's emotional energy comes through the incoherence clearly. Not hard to read at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree