1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 01:31
    2 Thessalonians 3:10New American Standard Bible (NASB)

10 For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either.

This is the definition of Christian charity. Offer someone work that he can do to earn his food.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 01:41
    Originally posted by @eladar

10 For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either.

This is the definition of Christian charity. Offer someone work that he can do to earn his food.
    This is the kinds of foolishness that people end up believing when they the writings of the Apostles out of context. Read the whole story and you will see the reason for what Paul is saying. Personally I stick with what Jesus says.

Since many Christians dont like the teachings of Christ here is James take on the same issue

My friends, what good is it for one of you to say that you have faith if your actions do not prove it?
    Can that faith save you?
    Suppose there are brothers or sisters who need clothes and don't have enough to eat.
    What good is there in your saying to them,
    "God bless you! Keep warm and eat well!"---if you don't give them the necessities of life?
    So it is with faith: if it is alone and includes no actions, then it is dead.
    (James 2:14-17 GNB)
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 01:49
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    This is the kinds of foolishness that people end up believing when they the writings of the Apostles out of context. Read the whole story and you will see the reason for what Paul is saying. Personally I stick with what Jesus says.

Since many Christians dont like the teachings of Christ here is James take on the same issue

My friends, what good i ...[text shortened]... s with faith: if it is alone and includes no actions, then it is dead.
    (James 2:14-17 GNB)
    So why is not giving people an opportunity to work for food and shelter evil?

There is no contradiction.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 02:31

And Jesus said unto them, as you have done to the least of these (except for lazy bums...it's cool if you treat them badly), you have done unto me.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 02:40
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    And Jesus said unto them, as you have done to the least of these (except for lazy bums...it's cool if you treat them badly), you have done unto me.
    People who are viewed as lazy bums are quite often depressed. Giving a guy job who doesn't have one is good for a person's depression.

People like you are simply enablers who care not about self respect.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 03:01

Or it is the definition of ants (god bless their souls).

Moral people take care of their infirmed, their elderly, their overburdend and their veterans and the kids. And they don't stop there.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 03:19
    People who are viewed as lazy bums are quite often depressed. Giving a guy job who doesn't have one is good for a person's depression.

By "bum" I meant "person who refuses work".
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 03:43
    Originally posted by @apathist

Moral people take care of their infirmed, their elderly, their overburdend and their veterans and the kids. And they don't stop there.
    I do not believe the message was for those who could not work.

It was for those who can work but choose not to work.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 03:45
    Our system propogates bums and depressed people.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 08:48

"Not willing" is not the same as "not able".

For God's sake, stop 'weaponizing' the Bible.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 08:59

And you are a fool.

Show me ONE CEO who would hire a person "off the street". And I mean right off the street. Because they live there.

But people like you are the same people who spit on these people as you step over them, going about your business.

And you actually have the huevos to sit there and preach about self-respect. I wager you yourself have way TOO much self-respect and not enough plain-old respect for those less fortunate than you. Why don't YOU go give that guy a job, Mr. "Self-respect"? You can't even bring yourself to bring that guy some food or even water on a hot day, much less actually work a few hours trying to give that guy and others like him a home OFF the streets.

"Just give him a job." This is exactly like saying to these people, as you step over them, to "Get a job".

"Enablers" my ass. Do you give even one little damn whether these people live another day or not?

And here you sit, quoting the Bible. I STILL don't see you doing anything for them.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 09:03
    Originally posted by @apathist

Bravo.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 09:04
    And I had assumed you were being sarcastic.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 09:16
    I do not believe the message was for those who could not work.

It was for those who can work but choose not to work.
    This really shows your complete hatred of these people.

You are so beholden to your inaction that you must make up a moral outlook for these people. I don't know how many times I hear idiot conservatives like you, who chafe at the idea of putting help for these people in the budget, say this bold-faced lie: "These people just don't want to work."

Let me ask you. Do you honestly think that these people would even BE on the street, putting up with people trying to rip them off every day, taking what little they have, putting up with sanctimonious idiots like you, if they COULD work? A lot of these people are mentally ill; you try getting them a job. A lot of them are vets, most of whom are ill, without medication. But no, you don't want to bother with them. Maybe they make you uncomfortable and so you turn away and refuse to see them. And then you sit back, in your comfortable home, and make EXCUSES why you can't help them.

Trust me, no one is on the street because they WANT to be there. Do you really think they're sitting back saying, "Oh man, what a life! I do nothing all day and these liberals come along and feed me, bring me clothing, show me a safe place to sleep at night! I don't have to do a damned thing!" Of course they don't say that, because the street is a horrible place to live, if you want to call it living. But here you sit, making excuses, and doing NOTHING. You disgust me.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 11:45
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    "Not willing" is not the same as "not able".

For God's sake, stop 'weaponizing' the Bible.
    Oh, so you are saying that there are no such people as the ones Paul describes?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree