1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 19:04
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Summary: Jesus Christ (3); Constantine the Great (2); Elvis Presley (2); Seventeen others (1 each) = Total 24

Detail:
    Eve; Adam; Satan; Isaac Newton; Galileo Galilei; Archimedes of Syracuse; Jesus Christ (3); Constantine the Great (2); Johann Gutenburg; Saint Paul (2); Saint Gregory; King Henry VIII; Jesus the Christ; The Apostle St. Paul; Con ...[text shortened]... ; Jesus; Elvis; Roy Orbison; Ori; Jacob Hutter; Menno Simons; Jakob Ammann;

(to be continued)[/b]
    Your OP was ambiguous ... are we nominating or voting?
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 20:00
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

Your OP was ambiguous ... are we nominating or voting?
    2013 Poll: 100 Most Influential Religious People of All Time

"Please post your top three choices from the list given. I'll provide a ranked summary
    of our poll's results by page. Comments supporting your nominations are welcome." (OP)

"Nomination is part of the process of selecting a candidate for either
    election to an of, or the bestowing of an honor or award." (wiki)

http://www.adherents.com/adh_influ.html

Disambiguous, we're not engaged in some technical debate.
    OP simply asks for three choices (or nominations, if you like)
    of those most influential in historical, 'religious' impact.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 22:53
    [b]2013 Poll: 100 Most Influential Religious People of All Time

"Please post your top three choices from the list given. I'll provide a ranked summary
    of our poll's results by page. Comments supporting your nominations are welcome." (OP)

"Nomination is part of the process of selecting a candidate for either
    election to an of, or th ...[text shortened]... inations, if you like)
    of those most influential in historical, 'religious' impact.
    .[/b]
    I dont need definitions from you regarding defintions thank you

But there is a clear difference between asking for nominations and voting.

It is no wonder people cannot understand you.

And for your further education disambiguous is not a word, I assume you
    mean unambiguous.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 13:15
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

I dont need definitions from you regarding defintions thank you

But there is a clear difference between asking for nominations and voting.

It is no wonder people cannot understand you.

And for your further education disambiguous is not a word, I assume you
    mean unambiguous.
    "I dont need definitions from you regarding defintions thank you. But there is a clear difference between asking for nominations and voting. It is no wonder people cannot understand you. And for your further education disambiguous is not a word, I assume you mean unambiguous."

WG, please post your three choices. Others have complied; follow suit. And, yes, I'm well aware of both the spelling and meaning of the curious word you've taken to task. Maybe an Etymology Thread by wolfgang59 in the General Forum would spare this Spirituality Forum Thread from getting itself all hijacked and garbaged up. Thanks for cooperating. Look forward to your picks.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 13:21
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    [b]2. Constantine the Great - brought Christianity into the mainstream, firmly establishing it as a major religion, and stopped the persecution of Christians in the Roman Empire
    Interesting choice. I rather think the opposite. Sure he helped end alot of persecution amongst Christians, but at what cost? Before Constantine Christians were being thrown to the lions. After Constantine supposide Christians were burning people at the stake.

It is rumored that Constantine did not even convert to Christianity until his death bed. By all accounts he used the religion to achieve political goals. Before he came on the scene the religion was relatively blameless in the eyes of the world and was part of it's charm and the reason it spread so rapidly.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 16:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    Interesting choice. I rather think the opposite. Sure he helped end alot of persecution amongst Christians, but at what cost? Before Constantine Christians were being thrown to the lions. After Constantine supposide Christians were burning people at the stake.

It is rumored that Constantine did not even convert to Christianity until his death bed. By ...[text shortened]... meless in the eyes of the world and was part of it's charm and the reason it spread so rapidly.
    You may have a good point.

I'm going to research this further.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 19:15
    And, yes, I'm well aware of both the spelling and meaning of the curious word you've taken to task. Maybe an Etymology Thread ...
    Congratulations on being aware of the spelling of a word you have invented!

Try looking up the meaning of etymology too as you seem to have used that out of context.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 20:004 edits
    "Disambiguation in Wikipedia is the process of resolving the conflicts that arise when a single term is ambiguous—when it refers to more than one topic covered by Wikipedia articles. For example, the word "Mercury" can refer to an element, a planet, a Roman god, and many other things. There are three important aspects to disambiguation." (wiki)
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 21:16
    "Disambiguation in Wikipedia is the process of resolving the conflicts that arise when a single term is ambiguous—when it refers to more than one topic covered by Wikipedia articles. For example, the word "Mercury" can refer to an element, a planet, a Roman god, and many other things. There are three important aspects to disambiguation." (wiki)
    Disambiguation?
    I am fully aware of that word and its meaning.

The "word" you used was disambiguous.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 21:47
    Summary: Jesus Christ (4); the Apostle Paul (3); Constantine the Great (2); Elvis Presley (2); = (11) plus twenty three others (1 each) = Total (34);

Detail:
    Eve; Adam; Satan; Isaac Newton; Galileo Galilei; Archimedes of Syracuse; Jesus Christ; Constantine the Great; Johann Gutenburg; Saint Paul; Saint Gregory; King Henry VIII; Jesus the Christ; The Apostle St. Paul; Constantine the Great; Elvis Presley; Buddha; Lao Tsu; Jesus; Elvis; Roy Orbison; Ori; Jacob Hutter; Menno Simons; Jakob Ammann; Frank Durocher; Jesus; Paul; Jesus Christ; The Apostles; Church Age Pastors; R J Hinds; Dasa; robbie carrobie;
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    07 Jan '13 12:21
    How the hell did the thread go this far without mention of Martin Luther?
  12. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    07 Jan '13 12:31
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    How the hell did the thread go this far without mention of Martin Luther?
    The way this is going, Lex Luther would make the list before Martin Luther.

Earlier on I expressed surprise that Issac Newton charted ahead of Jesus.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '13 16:17
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    The way this is going, Lex Luther would make the list before Martin Luther.

Earlier on I expressed surprise that Issac Newton charted ahead of Jesus.
    Sadly, I'm not. 😞

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree