1. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 15:161 edit
    Spirituality.

Fearlessness, purifcation of ones existence, cultivation of spiritual knowledge, charity, self control, performance of sacrifice, study of the Vedas, austerity, simplicity, nonviolence, truthfulness, freedom from anger, renunciation, tranquility, aversion to fault finding, compassion to all living entities, freedom from covetousness, gentleness, modesty, steady determination, vigor, forgiveness, fortitude, cleaniness, and freedom from envy and the passion for honour....these trancendental qualities, belong to men endowed with divine nature.

Pride, arrogance, conceit, anger, harshness and ignorance, these qualities belong to those of demoniac nature.

Those who are demoniac do not know what is to be done and what is not to be done, neither cleaniness nor proper behaviour nor truth is found in them.

The transcendental qualities are conducive to liberation, whereas the demoniac qualities make for bondage.

Bhagavad Gita Chapter 16 Verses 1.- 7
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 17:47
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    Spirituality.

Fearlessness, purifcation of ones existence, cultivation of spiritual knowledge, charity, self control, performance of sacrifice, study of the Vedas, austerity, simplicity, nonviolence, truthfulness, freedom from anger, renunciation, tranquility, aversion to fault finding, compassion to all living entities, freedom from covetousness, gent ...[text shortened]... ion, whereas the demoniac qualities make for bondage.

Bhagavad Gita Chapter 16 Verses 1.- 7
    Why "aversion to fault finding" and "passion for honour"? Both of the can be seen as ego-centered.
  3. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 18:00
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Why "aversion to fault finding" and "passion for honour"? Both of the can be seen as ego-centered.
    Could you make your enquiry more clear please.

vishva
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 18:11
    Could you make your enquiry more clear please.

vishva
    Why do those qualities "belong to men endowed with divine nature" when they are ego-centered? The first defers to the egos of others and the second is a matter of pride if it is referring to "reputation", "recognition", "privilege", etc. If the reference is to "integrity", then that would have been a better word choice.
  5. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 18:22
    Why do those qualities "belong to men endowed with divine nature" when they are ego-centered? The first defers to the egos of others and the second is a matter of pride if it is referring to "reputation", "recognition", "privilege", etc. If the reference is to "integrity", then that would have been a better word choice.
    It clearly says "aversion to" and "freedom from" > covetousness,faultfinding,envy, self honour and anger,

vishva
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 18:32
    It clearly says "aversion to" and "freedom from" > covetousness,faultfinding,envy, self honour and anger,

vishva
    Please reread my posts. I'm asking you why "aversion to fault finding" and "passion for honour" "belong to men endowed with divine nature" when they are ego-centric.
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 18:531 edit
    Please reread my posts. I'm asking you why "aversion to fault finding" and "passion for honour" "belong to men endowed with divine nature" when they are ego-centric.
    Well because they are ego-centrical, then persons with the divine nature would automatically have a an aversion to them.....and, or be free from them. (its the opposite to what you are suggesting)

with respect: Do you know what aversion means

vishva
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 18:55
    Okay, I found the following translation which explains the second. Semi-colons make all the difference.

from http://www.bhagavad-gita.us/categories/The-Gita%3A-Chapter-16/:
    "The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: Fearlessness; purification of one’s existence; cultivation of spiritual knowledge; charity; self-control; performance of sacrifice; study of the Vedas; austerity; simplicity; nonviolence; truthfulness; freedom from anger; renunciation; tranquillity; aversion to faultfinding; compassion for all living entities; freedom from covetousness; gentleness; modesty; steady determination; vigor; forgiveness; fortitude; cleanliness; and freedom from envy and from the passion for honor—these transcendental qualities, O son of Bharata, belong to godly men endowed with divine nature."

However that still leaves "aversion to faultfinding".
  9. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 18:581 edit
    So aversion to fault finding, would mean that they are not attracted to being a fault finding person!

vishva

and thankyou for you imput ThinkOfOne
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 18:59
    Well because they are ego-centrical, then persons with the divine nature would automatically have a an aversion to them.....and, or be free from them. (its the opposite to what you are suggesting)

with respect: Do you know what aversion means

vishva
    "Aversion from faultfinding" defers to the egos of others. If someone has a fault, why not speak the truth and tell them? Seems to me it is in deference to THEIR ego.
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 19:02
    "Aversion from faultfinding" defers to the egos of others. If someone has a fault, why not speak the truth and tell them? Seems to me it is in deference to THEIR ego.
    Yes, but are you going to be truthfull, and tell your girl friend she has a fat arse.(said in jest)
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 19:08
    Yes, but are you going to be truthfull, and tell your girl friend she has a fat arse.(said in jest)
    Sounds like the old, "Does this dress make me look fat?".

The answer is "Yes", if it does.

Saying "No" would perpetuate delusion.
  13. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 19:11
    Sounds like the old, "Does this dress make me look fat?".

The answer is "Yes", if it does.

Saying "No" would perpetuate delusion.
    Yes of course your right, but we are getting of track, and i think everyone knows what is implied by the verse in Bhagavad Gita.

vishva
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 19:17
    Yes of course your right, but we are getting of track, and i think everyone knows what is implied by the verse in Bhagavad Gita.

vishva
    I'm asking you to explain the inclusion of "aversion from faultfinding".

For that matter, "performance of sacrifice" seems to be rooted in delusion as well.

Seems like neither of those should have been included.

Agreed?
  15. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 19:29
    I'm asking you to explain the inclusion of "aversion from faultfinding".

For that matter, "performance of sacrifice" seems to be rooted in delusion as well.

Seems like neither of those should have been included.

Agreed?
    It looks like the verse speaks directly to you and about you, because you are reading the verse with a fault finding mentality.....can you see that!

vishva

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree