1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 May '15 00:351 edit
    Originally posted by moonbus
    While you are correct that Rev. was written in Greek, not Hebrew, the Greeks did not feel themselves to be oppressed by Rome. The Hebrews did.

<< Because some believe Revelation 13 speaks of a future prophetic event, "All who dwell on the earth will worship him, whose names have not been written in the Book of Life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of ...[text shortened]... r_of_the_Beast

So, it is really very pedestrian. And in any case topical. No longer relevant.
    It is not unusual for prophets to use a character in the past or present to compare with one that is prophecied to come in the future.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 May '15 06:17
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is not unusual for prophets to use a character in the past or present to compare with one that is prophecied to come in the future.
    Yes, and that is why prophecy should not be confused for predictions about future events. One can prophesy about the past (which is what the Book of Genesis is).
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 May '15 16:07
    Yes, and that is why prophecy should not be confused for predictions about future events. One can prophesy about the past (which is what the Book of Genesis is).
    I hope you learned something, but you still have much to learn. 😏
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 May '15 18:112 edits
    Revelation written in Hebrew or in Greek ? ?

The passages about the Antichrist, it says, are related to the the reader in Greek and in Hebrew.

"They [ the demonic locusts ] have a king over them, the angel of the abyss, his name in HEBREW is Abaddon and in GREEK he has the name Apollyon." (Rev. 9:11)

There is good reason to believe that the angel of the bottomless pit or the abyss here is the Antichrist. And the fact that we are given heads up that he has a Hebrew name and a Greek name could be related to the calculation of his number.

Not checking on the particulars, I do recall that by combining the transliteration of Hebrew syllables and Greek syllables you do come up with the number 666.

It has little to do with what language Revelation was written in.

" Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man; and his number is six hundred sixty six. " (Rev. 13:18)

Maybe, the reference to the Greek and Hebrew names of Antichrist are a hint that the "wisdom" needed to calculate the name calls on this consideration.

Without Greek and Hebrew fonts I cannot print all the info I am looking at at the moment. But we have something like this:

Nero Kaiser (Greek syllable transliterated (?) to Hebrew letter)

50 + 200 + 6 + 50 = 306

100 + 60 + 200 = 360

306 + 360 = 666 .
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 May '15 18:34
    Originally posted by sonship
    Revelation written in Hebrew or in Greek ? ?

The passages about the Antichrist, it says, are related to the the reader in Greek and in Hebrew.

[b] "They [ the demonic locusts ] have a king over them, the angel of the abyss, his name in HEBREW is Abaddon and in GREEK he has the name Apollyon." (Rev. 9:11)

There is g ...[text shortened]... + 200 + 6 + 50 = 306

100 + 60 + 200 = 360

306 + 360 = 666 .[/b]
    Again, remember 2 Timothy 4:3-4.

This kind of calculation only takes our focus off of what God is clearly telling us is coming. We've been warned. We can close our eyes to the warning, or prepare for what we will be called to do. Watch for the "abomination of desolation standing in the holy place". (Matthew 24.)

"Behold, I have told you before."
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 May '15 18:44
    By definition, "prophecy" is about predicting future events. "History" is about the past. "Testimony" can be either.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 May '15 19:034 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Again, remember 2 Timothy 4:3-4.

This kind of calculation only takes our focus off of what God is clearly telling us is coming. We've been warned. We can close our eyes to the warning, or prepare for what we will be called to do. Watch for the "abomination of desolation standing in the holy place". (Matthew 24.)

It could. But remember it was the Scripture itself that told us that the wise mind of the believer would be able to calculate the name.

"Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate ..." (Rev. 13:18a

But I agree that it doesn't say to spend the rest of your whole life trying to do so.

We've been warned. We can close our eyes to the warning, or prepare for what we will be called to do. Watch for the "abomination of desolation standing in the holy place". (Matthew 24.)

That is true.
    Let me add though that both that and watching for Ceasor Nero's spirit to come back from the dead is watching on the negative side.

There is quite much on the positive side to "watch" for.
    Your point though is fully taken.

8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 May '15 20:221 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    It could. But remember it was the Scripture itself that told us that the wise mind of the believer would be able to calculate the name.

"Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate ..." (Rev. 13:18a

But I agree that it doesn't say to spend the rest of your whole life trying to do so.
    Right. I don't claim I have enough understanding to calculate it, and so I'm mainly concerned with understanding enough to recognize it when I see it.

I see your point, though, too.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 May '15 20:40
    0.666 Number of the Millibeast.

😞
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 May '15 22:41
    666 The Number of the Beast.

The Caliphate and the Islamic Mark of the Beast

YouTube
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 May '15 23:31
    Right. I don't claim I have enough understanding to calculate it, and so I'm mainly concerned with understanding enough to recognize it when I see it.

I see your point, though, too.
    Oh, I didn't "calculate" that name either.

After re-thinking your point, I think I understand it better.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 May '15 01:03
    Obama's help to Jihadists is the building of the Antichrist army on earth!

YouTube
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    27 May '15 07:371 edit
    By definition, "prophecy" is about predicting future events. "History" is about the past. "Testimony" can be either.
    That definition misses a crucial distinction, Suzi. "Prediction" is about what will happen. "Prophecy" is an injunction to make something happen.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 May '15 07:42
    That definition misses a crucial distinction, Suzi. "Prediction" is about what will happen. "Prophecy" is an injunction to make something happen.
    Not by the standard definition.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    27 May '15 08:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not by the standard definition.
    Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary Second Ed. (the whacking big library edition): “prophecy: 1. the work, function, vocation of a prophet: utterance under the inspiring influence of religious experience; the utterance of a prophet as recorded. Specif; a. that which is spoken for a god, declaration or interpretation of the will or purpose of a god; esp. Jewish or Christian theology: inspired declaration or revelation of the divine will, including moral teaching by warning, consoling, exhorting, giving an example of fellowship with god, and the like, and on special occasions, particularly in OT times of foretelling, or declaring beforehand, of the purpose of God...”

The primary meaning is the revelation of divine purpose, what has always been so; only secondarily or “on special occasions” a sort of prediction of something to come.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree