1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 19:16
    What's up with putting the @ symbol in front of someone's name? How friggin' ignorant. Did I mention I live in Cleveland, OH?
  2. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 19:24
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    What's up with putting the @ symbol in front of someone's name? How friggin' ignorant. Did I mention I live in Cleveland, OH?
    @FreakyKBH....shut it!
  3. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 19:39
    me @ this post
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 19:401 edit
    Well if the @ sign proceeds the name of the correct person as opposed to say "@ the forum idiot- you know who you are" then clearly they aren't *that* ignorant!

and YEAH!...Manchester UK!!! Reveal Hidden Content
    (with a bloody good set of trainers in case I have to leg it)
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 20:321 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Well if the @ sign proceeds the name of the correct person as opposed to say "@ the forum idiot- you know who you are" then clearly they aren't *that* ignorant!

and YEAH!...Manchester UK!!! [hidden](with a bloody good set of trainers in case I have to leg it)[/hidden]
    Furthermore, who abbreviates a two-letter word, for crap's sake? It takes more effort to say "at sign" then it does to say "at." It's just plain stupid.
    Manchester? Do they play Blackpool, per chance?
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 21:512 edits
    Furthermore, who abbreviates a two-letter word, for crap's sake? It takes more effort to say "at sign" then it does to say "at." It's just plain stupid.
    If you mean at football (or soccer as it is known in the states), though I live in the city which is home to the behemoth of a football team that is Manchester United I don't really follow the sport.
    I was going to say Manchester won't often play Blackpool as they're in different leagues but getting my facts straight as I read this it looks like (to my surprise) they will indeed play each other (their first time in the premier league this year).

I might be barking up the wrong tree and you meant rugby or something though! 😕
  7. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 22:01
    The c@ in the h@ s@ on the m@ ... cuts down in characters I guess?
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 23:09

and YEAH!...Manchester UK!!! [hidden](with a bloody good set of trainers in case I have to leg it)[/hidden]
    Whereabouts in Manchester?
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 23:421 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Whereabouts in Manchester?
    Hmm...a couple of miles from the uni in one of the less affluent districts...one more year of study and I can seek my riches elsewhere! :]

Do you live in/near Manchester yourself?
  10. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateâ„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 00:34
    It's a feature from Twitter that's become a generic trend for addressing a message or posts at a specific person.

Not sure quite how this fits into Spirituality though. Maybe you could use it for e-prayers:

@God - How about a hint at next weeks lottery numbers? /Amen
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 03:59
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    It's a feature from Twitter that's become a generic trend for addressing a message or posts at a specific person.

Not sure quite how this fits into Spirituality though. Maybe you could use it for e-prayers:

@God - How about a hint at next weeks lottery numbers? /Amen
    Here, here.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 05:16
    At FreakyKBH.
    So your email address uses the unabbreviated 'at' and you still get your mail? Or is your email address stupid too?
    Clearly there circumstances where using the @ symbol make sense. I would say that the usage of @ that you are referring too is not simply an abbreviation. You would not for example typically start a letter, or even a post with "At 'proper name'." Once could say @ is an abbreviation for "This post is addressed to".
    Language changes with time, and new mediums increase the rate of such change. Calling new language 'stupid' just because you don't like change wont stop it from changing.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 09:26
    Hmm...a couple of miles from the uni in one of the less affluent districts...one more year of study and I can seek my riches elsewhere! :]

Do you live in/near Manchester yourself?
    I do live in Manchester. I live in the salubrious Whalley Range.

I'm guessing you live Rusholme/Fallowfied end of town?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 12:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    At FreakyKBH.
    So your email address uses the unabbreviated 'at' and you still get your mail? Or is your email address stupid too?
    Clearly there circumstances where using the @ symbol make sense. I would say that the usage of @ that you are referring too is not simply an abbreviation. You would not for example typically start a letter, or even a post wit ...[text shortened]... new language 'stupid' just because you don't like change wont stop it from changing.
    Not to quibble, but...

I believe the @ in email usage is a symbolic trigger with no more meaning other than its superficial one, i.e., 'at,' thereby allowing certain transmissions to be routed to certain domains and others to other domains. So I can somewhat see a person appropriating the sign for these types of ventures, in that they're addressing a specific person for whatever topic.

However, since the post isn't being delivered to the person of interest, but rather to the public at large in care of IMG/RHP/CAW, the post would be more accurately titled "To xxx," or "Attention xxx," or the like. That last one, in my opinion, is really the original intent: using @ erroneously, as an abbreviation for 'attention,' thus my charge of it sounding stupid.
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 15:35
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I do live in Manchester. I live in the salubrious Whalley Range.

I'm guessing you live Rusholme/Fallowfied end of town?
    Used to live in fallowfield a couple of years ago; I have now moved up the ladder now though and find myself living in Longsight...such a nice place! :]

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree