1. Wat?
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 16:51
    Are true Buddhists, in your view, agnostic or atheistic?

-m.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 17:07
    Originally posted by mikelom

-m.
    quote:
    "^ Thanissaro Bhikku (1997). "Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable" (in translated from Pali into English). AN 4.77. Access To Insight. "Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it."

^ Dorothy Figen (1988). "Is Buddhism a Religion?". Beginning Insight Meditation and other essays. Kandy, Sri Lanka: Buddhist Publication Society. pp. Bodhi Leaves. "So to these young Christians I can say, "Believe in Christ if you wish, but remember, Jesus never claimed divinity either." Yes, believe in a unitary God, too, if you wish, but cease your imploring, pleading for personal dispensations, health, wealth, relief from suffering. Study the Eightfold Path. Seek the insights and enlightenment that come through meditative learnings. And find out how to achieve for yourself what prayer and solicitation of forces beyond you are unable to accomplish."

^ Nyanaponika Thera (1994). Buddhism and the God-idea. Kandy, Sri Lanka: Buddhist Publication Society. "Although belief in God does not exclude a favorable rebirth, it is a variety of eternalism, a false affirmation of permanence rooted in the craving for existence, and as such an obstacle to final deliverance."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism
    (References)

It seems to me that a Buddhist would not spend time developing or defending a theistic, atheistic or agnostic position on deity.
  3. Wat?
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 17:14
    Originally posted by JS357
    quote:
    "^ Thanissaro Bhikku (1997). "Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable" (in translated from Pali into English). AN 4.77. Access To Insight. "Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it."

^ Dorothy Figen (1988). "Is Buddhism ...[text shortened]... time developing or defending a theistic, atheistic or agnostic position on deity.
    I need not say anything more regarding. You are well read.

-m. 🙂

(Bhikku I met, and it was an honour. I have a signatory book of his 'Anapanasati Bhavana Meditation'😉
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 19:51

-m.
    For my part - not accepting google's definition of atheist I see an atheist as one who, at the very least, consciously affirms that they do not believe in gods (where a loose definition of god in this context is: a supernatural entity that plays some part in the construction/"evolution" of some region of this universe).

If you fail to invoke god-like (little g for god here) entities in your account of how the universe operates then I have no reason to contest your assertion you are both atheist and a buddhist.
  5. Wat?
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 20:20
    Originally posted by Agerg
    For my part - not accepting google's definition of atheist I see an atheist as one who, at the very least, consciously affirms that they do not believe in gods (where a loose definition of god in this context is: a supernatural entity that plays some part in the construction/"evolution" of some region of this universe).

If you fail to invoke god-like (littl ...[text shortened]... operates then I have no reason to contest your assertion you are both atheist and a buddhist.
    I fail to deny the possibilty of a God-like nobility. I just await the scientific proof of such. Does that maintain an Atheistic outlook, or approach Agnosticism?

-m.
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 20:491 edit
    I fail to deny the possibilty of a God-like nobility. I just await the scientific proof of such. Does that maintain an Atheistic outlook, or approach Agnosticism?

-m.
    For my part I'd say that's as atheist as any practical person is going to get - indeed I say very few atheists will say they deny even a remote possibility at least one god out of the infinite set of all gods might possibly exist - they of course might deny a small subset of those (for example God_{dasa} or God_{RJHinds}, etc... on account of how such gods are silly)
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 23:45
    Any deists out there?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Dec '11 07:48
    I need not say anything more regarding. You are well read.

-m. 🙂

(Bhikku I met, and it was an honour. I have a signatory book of his 'Anapanasati Bhavana Meditation'😉
    He may be well read in false teachings, like what he quoted.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '11 08:071 edit

-m.
    I'd say that is probably an atheist standpoint. My view is that agnostism is more open to spiritual evidence i.e. not holding to scientific proof, but holding the requirement of inner proof.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree