1. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 09:59
    Supose we could find common points for basic spirituality. Points a lot of religions have agreed with over the centuries. Stuff that just makes sense. Not specific to any relgion or way of life.

I'll give some examples and let's see if we can't find more like them:

First do no harm.

Give back as much as you take.

If someone gives you something, treasure it. Share it if you can, pass it on.

Don't expect others to think like you do.

Have respect for all living things.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

You reap what you sow.

These are just some basics. A way to see if we can find common ground among different philosophies and beliefs.

Nyxie
  2. England
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 10:12
    pray for others, stop invading other countrys, be satisfied with your own,
  3. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 13:57
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    Supose we could find common points for basic spirituality. Points a lot of religions have agreed with over the centuries. Stuff that just makes sense. Not specific to any relgion or way of life.

First do no harm.

If someone gives you something, ...[text shortened]... cs. A way to see if we can find common ground among different philosophies and beliefs.

Nyxie
    Very good understanding, but you have not dealt with sin.
  4. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 17:271 edit
    nm
  5. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 17:45
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    If sin was dealt with in a non-christian way, would that satisfy you? Say a suggestion that we are seperated from God/the universe/nirvana and we are doomed to strive out entire lives to bridge that gap, to surrender to a force that we can never know? Would that be good enough? No, of course not. If there is no Bible involved, it can't possibly be the truth, right?

... --- ...
  6. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 18:01
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    I believe I have.

I have'nt had the time to go into greater detail as yet. I am just trying to find a basis that might be universaly accepted across the spirituality forum.

I believe "you reap what you sow", is a direct cause and effect showing that bad leads to worse. It will come back on you.

To see a christian corrlation in these ideas that I and others have listed pay attention to the sermon on the mount, and the beatitudes.

Nyxie
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 18:18

First do no harm.

If someone gives you something, ...[text shortened]... cs. A way to see if we can find common ground among different philosophies and beliefs.

Nyxie
    These seem to be moral guidelines or rules. Is spirituality the same as morality? I find I can accept morality while rejecting the existence of gods and angels quite easily.
  8. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 18:22
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    These seem to be moral guidelines or rules. Is spirituality the same as morality? I find I can accept morality while rejecting the existence of gods and angels quite easily.
    Good question! I would say that following a moral code is spiritual in the sense that a person recognizes that not only are they benefitting themselves through their actions, but others as well.
  9. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 18:25
    Originally posted by eagles54
    Good question! I would say that following a moral code is spiritual in the sense that a person recognizes that not only are they benefitting themselves through their actions, but others as well.
    Yes I think you're starting to understand. Spirituality does not mean that one specifically believes in a god or gods. Do you believe in yourself, and that you are alive?

Nyxie
  10. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 18:31
    Do you believe in yourself, and that you are alive?

Nyxie
    The first part of your question is loaded but yeah, I'm confident that I'm alive alright. The IRS will attest to it anyway. 😉
  11. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 18:40
    The first part of your question is loaded but yeah, I'm confident that I'm alive alright. The IRS will attest to it anyway. 😉
    Sorry the question was aimed at everyone, but I quoted you to keep the line of reasoning going.

I am trying here to find basic similarities in most religions. I believe they are there and always have been. One religion may believe in a god, another may only believe in celestial planes. But the rules that teach us do start with morality, and through this a way to work ourselves to a higher spiritual goal. This is the basis for religion.

Why do we have to follow these laws? The Judgement, the ragnorak, the coming, the rebirth, the time of answering. This is another common theme. If the court of man does not hold you, will you answer to another?

Nyxie

12. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 18:48
    Why do we have to follow these laws? The Judgement, the ragnorak, the coming, the rebirth, the time of answering. This is another common theme. If the court of man does not hold you, will you answer to another?

Nyxie

Good actions generally yield good results. Bad actions have outcomes that are generally the cause of even further suffering. Cause and result is a heck of a reason to pay close attention to personal actions, and more specifically, one's mindstream.
  13. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 18:51
    Good actions generally yield good results. Bad actions have outcomes that are generally the cause of even further suffering. Cause and result is a heck of a reason to pay close attention to personal actions, and more specifically, one's mindstream.
    Karma or Conscious?

14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 18:53
    Hmm. I don't think we have a clear consensus of what 'spirituality' means. The term seems to be getting so general as to be almost useless.
  15. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '05 18:53
    Karma or Conscious?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree