1. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 14:05
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Yeah, I think Mother Teresa fulfills that scripture.

The brother of our Lord goes on to say:

If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture,
    “YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF,” you are doing well.
    But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by
    the law as transgressors. For whoever keeps the ...[text shortened]... t faith in
    Christ.

P.S. The works do not refer to going door passing out Watchtower tracts.
    if one was to go door to door passing out tracts -- and was doing so from a true motivation of love, then yes, this would essentially be a good work that flowed from faith.

but if one was to hand out those same tracts because they were "trying to adhere to some sort of law", or "trying to earn something from God" -- then this would be the type of "works" that cannot save.

likewise, if Mother Theresa's efforts were merely an effort to "impress God" so as to get onto the "inner track" to God, then, as Paul would put it, even Mother Theresa would be nothing more than a clanging gong or a noisy cymbal.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 16:39
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    if one was to go door to door passing out tracts -- and was doing so from a true motivation of love, then yes, this would essentially be a good work that flowed from faith.

but if one was to hand out those same tracts because they were "trying to adhere to some sort of law", or "trying to earn something from God" -- then this would be the type of "work ...[text shortened]... it, even Mother Theresa would be nothing more than a clanging gong or a noisy cymbal.
    What is your opinion on Mother Teresa?
    Was Mother Teresa a clanging gong or a noisy cymbal?
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 17:573 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    What is your opinion on Mother Teresa?
    Was Mother Teresa a clanging gong or a noisy cymbal?
    Only God can judge - but clearly, Mother Theresa seems very deserving of much admiration.

Because what people see when they look at Mother Theresa is someone who was motivated very much by love -- although I'm sure she would've been quick to tell you about various "ulterior motives" that were involved. It seems that saintly people tend to be especially aware of their own sinfulness.

But if Theresa's work was motivated primarily by an effort to, say, "show everyone how wonderful she was" or even to "show everyone how wonderful her church is" -- one can imagine how the whole thing would likely have ended up working out.

On the other hand, a simple act like giving someone a cup of cold water, if done as an act of love, is far greater than someone who moves mountains without love.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree