1. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    02 Feb '24 14:10
    And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

"But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom."

The Bacchae" is a Greek tragedy written by Euripides. The plot revolves around the god Dionysus, the god of wine and fertility, who is persecuted by King Pentheus of Thebes. Dionysus arrives in Thebes disguised as a priest of his own religion, but his true identity is eventually revealed. The main characters are Dionysus, King Pentheus, and Pentheus' mother Agave, Tiresias a blind prophet, among others.

Despite the tragic nature of the story, "The Bacchae" is considered a satyr play, which is a type of Greek drama that combines tragedy with comedy. The presence of comedic elements, such as the antics of the satyr Silenus and the mockery of the women of Thebes, makes it somewhat unique within the genre of Greek tragedies.

However, the overall tone of the play is serious, reflecting the struggle between order and chaos, civilization and barbarism, and humanity and divinity. The play explores themes of identity, deception, and the conflict between tradition and innovation.

YouTube
  2. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Feb '24 14:48
    @pettytalk said
    And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

"But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom."

The Bacchae" is a Greek tragedy written by Euripides. The plot revolves around the god Dion ...[text shortened]... n, and the conflict between tradition and innovation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2wutEzjy_E
    The Bacchae sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to look into it. I read Ulysses by James Joyce back in school and was surprised at how good it was.
  3. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    02 Feb '24 18:24
    @mchill said
    The Bacchae sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to look into it. I read Ulysses by James Joyce back in school and was surprised at how good it was.
    In the West, classical works are not only entertaining but also highly informative. The Ancient Greeks dominated the field of great literature. It's more than plausible that Christ utilized some of their lines.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Feb '24 23:08
    @pettytalk said

The Bacchae" is a Greek tragedy written by Euripides. The plot revolves around the god Dion ...[text shortened]... n, and the conflict between tradition and innovation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2wutEzjy_E
    What was the “funny thing” which happened?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 08:121 edit
    @divegeester said
    What was the “funny thing” which happened?
    Why do you constantly deny others' posts by asking them something that was already addressed??
    I already asked you once today if you can read...
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 09:18
    @suzianne said
    Why do you constantly deny others' posts by asking them something that was already addressed??
    I already asked you once today if you can read...
    Ok, you seem upset again… maybe you can tell me what was the “funny thing that happened on the road to Damascus”?
  7. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 17:58
    For people with intellectual disabilities, who are constantly seeking attention and are in urgent need of understanding. It's all about pricks and humor. This is merely one prick amidst the sea of humor on the road to Damascus.

PAUL: And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

Dionysus:
    Thou mark'st me not, O King, and holdest light
    My solemn words; yet, in thine own despite,
    I warn thee still. Lift thou not up thy spear
    Against a God, but hold thy peace, and fear
    His wrath! He will not brook it, if thou fright
    His Chosen from the hills of their delight.

Pentheus:
    Peace, thou! And if for once thou hast slipped thy chain.
    Give thanks!— Or shall I knot thine arms again?

Dionysus:
    Better to yield him prayer and sacrifice
    Than kick against the pricks, since Dionyse
    Is God and thou but mortal.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 22:10
    @pettytalk said
    For people with intellectual disabilities, who are constantly seeking attention and are in urgent need of understanding.
    Who here is it you think have “intellectual disabilities”.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 02:01
    @PettyTalk
    A Funny Thing Happened On the Road to Damascus

The road to Damascus was the supposed location of the founding myth [the "funny thing"] that facilitated the Roman appropriation of the ~ at that point ~ unconsolidated word-of-mouth legends surrounding Jesus.
  10. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 02:41
    @fmf said
    @PettyTalk
    A Funny Thing Happened On the Road to Damascus

The road to Damascus was the supposed location of the founding myth [the "funny thing"] that facilitated the Roman appropriation of the ~ at that point ~ unconsolidated word-of-mouth legends surrounding Jesus.
    One day we'll find out the extent of the humor.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 03:19
    @pettytalk said
    I don't think we will. All the plausible evidence suggests that our consciousness ceases to exist when we die as do our memories of what this or that ancient literature that we were exposed to claimed when we were alive. Without consciousness, nothing is "found out" when we die.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 10:111 edit
    @pettytalk said
    PettyTalk.

Do you believe in an afterlife?
    Are you a professed Christian?

Edit; apologies if I’ve missed you saying so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree