1. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 22:40
    Originally posted by The Dude 84
    We wrote all their christmas music, why not thrill some kids too? If they still get thrilled by that...

Besides, the Santa you're dressing up as was made up by Coca Cola. It's not like you're being asked to dress up as Jesus, though he was Jewish too.

I'm not at all religious so maybe I'm not the person to ask, but I say it's kosher!

And there's no such thing as a lowly stock boy... all work is noble.
    Besides, the Santa you're dressing up as was made up by Coca Cola. It's not like you're being asked to dress up as Jesus, though he was Jewish too.

Popularised by the Coke advert, but not made up by them.

--- Penguin
  2. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 00:52
    Originally posted by Penguin
    [b]Besides, the Santa you're dressing up as was made up by Coca Cola. It's not like you're being asked to dress up as Jesus, though he was Jewish too.

--- Penguin[/b]
    Right you are, Penguin! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Visit_from_St._Nicholas A Visit From St. Nicholas is generally credited with creating the visual image of Santa used today.
  3. Joined
    16 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 00:58
    For a while when i was a kid I thought Jesus was the son, God was the father, and Santa was the grandfather.
  4. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 02:26
    Originally posted by Penguin
    [b]Besides, the Santa you're dressing up as was made up by Coca Cola. It's not like you're being asked to dress up as Jesus, though he was Jewish too.

--- Penguin[/b]
    I never said Coke invented him. I said "the santa you're dressing up as" as in the red and white santa claus opposed to the green one who existed in Europe before Coca Cola's brilliant marketing scheme.

I'll admit that I'm wrong only provided that the chessisvanity is dressing up as a green santa. I assumed he was not.
  5. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 04:34
    I never said Coke invented him. I said "the santa you're dressing up as" as in the red and white santa claus opposed to the green one who existed in Europe before Coca Cola's brilliant marketing scheme.

I'll admit that I'm wrong only provided that the chessisvanity is dressing up as a green santa. I assumed he was not.
    The red-and-white Santa predates Coca Cola by decades in the US.
  6. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 04:40
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    The red-and-white Santa predates Coca Cola by decades in the US.
    This is from Wikipedia:

Images of Santa Claus were further cemented through Haddon Sundblom's depiction of him for The Coca-Cola Company's Christmas advertising. The popularity of the image spawned urban legends that Santa Claus was in fact invented by Coca-Cola or that Santa wears red and white because those are the Coca-Cola colors. In fact, Coca-Cola was not even the first soft drink company to utilize the modern image Santa Claus in its advertising – White Rock Beverages used Santa in advertisements for its ginger ale in 1923 after first using him to sell mineral water in 1915. Even though Coca-Cola was not the first to do this, their massive campaign was one of the main reasons for why Santa Claus ended up depicted as wearing red and white, in contrast to the variety of colours he wore prior to the campaign. [7][8]

When I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I'll get over it with a nice cold glass of White Rock Beverage Mineral ginger ale!
  7. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 05:51
    This is from Wikipedia:

Images of Santa Claus were further cemented through Haddon Sundblom's depiction of him for The Coca-Cola Company's Christmas advertising. The popularity of the image spawned urban legends that Santa Claus was in fact invented by Coca-Cola or that Santa wears red and white because those are the Coca-Cola colors. In fact, Coca-Co ...[text shortened]... ong, but I'll get over it with a nice cold glass of White Rock Beverage Mineral ginger ale!
    🙂 I'd rec you but I'm out. I'll toast you with my cup of Theraflu instead. Cheers. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree