1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 14:27
    I am very curious if anyone here knows anything about the Church of Scientology and would like to share it with me. Here are the only things I know about it (which may or may not be actually true):

a) Created by rennaissance man L. Ron Hubbard,
    b) They believe in atonement through sweating, and
    c) They believe in aliens.

As you can see, I basically know zilch. But I am dying to know the truth about Scientology, what it is about and how one earns their "rewards" in this church/cult. If anyone could give me a rundown, it would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 14:35
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I am very curious if anyone here knows anything about the Church of Scientology and would like to share it with me. Here are the only things I know about it (which may or may not be actually true):

As you can see, I basical ...[text shortened]... ards" in this church/cult. If anyone could give me a rundown, it would be greatly appreciated.
    cant be bothered to do the old google huh?
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 14:36
    The basic premise, as far as I understand it, is that people are infected with "engrams" (controlling thought forms picked up by the unconscious mind) which can be "cleared" with the help of sessions with an e-meter.

If you want to go in depth:

http://www.whatisscientology.org
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 14:42
    Originally posted by dale21
    cant be bothered to do the old google huh?
    No, I can't. Is that okay with you, your highness?
  5. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 14:42

As you can see, I basical ...[text shortened]... ards" in this church/cult. If anyone could give me a rundown, it would be greatly appreciated.
    It's basicly a spiritually based pyramid scheme . You pay more the higher you get to receive degrees/levels of enlightenment .
  6. Riding the Atom Bomb
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 14:44
    No, I can't. Is that okay with you, your highness?
    Thats fine by me.

should of gone to specsavers
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 14:49
    Originally posted by dale21
    should of gone to specsavers
    You should have finished high school as well.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 14:51
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The basic premise, as far as I understand it, is that people are infected with "engrams" (controlling thought forms picked up by the unconscious mind) which can be "cleared" with the help of sessions with an e-meter.

If you want to go in depth:

http://www.whatisscientology.org
    Thanks for the link, Bosse. I will read the contents once I've finished staring at that portait of L Ron which has me completely mesmerised.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 14:54
    You might want to have your computer "cleared" as well once you're done.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 15:48

actually i was sort of researching this just recently. from what i gathered, i can help you with some of your questions.

yes, and based strictly on his wild imagination. of course, scientologists will tell you that hubbard did not invent the religion, but rather that he merely uncovered its true principles. 🙄

b) They believe in atonement through sweating,

didn't come across this one, but based on the other garbage scientologists 'know' and believe, don't doubt it for a second.

yes -- in fact it is central to their beliefs. they have a wild and crazy ladder of spirituality they must climb which is called the system of Operating Thetan (OT). not sure anybody but hubbard understands what it really is, but part of OT3 is that you learn that earth was inhabited by aliens over 75 million years ago and that before you dish out all the money to become what they call 'clear', your body is really just run by thetans. so the whole process is to exorcise the alien presence from your body so that you can achieve knowledge of your true self.

at least this is part of what i gleaned from my research. if it's not precisely accurate it wouldn't matter because scientology is the funniest joke ever. if you do end up doing some google searching, prepare for hysteria.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 16:01
    Go to wikipedia. They have an article which spells out its beliefs and gives the criticisms to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 16:19
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Go to wikipedia. They have an article which spells out its beliefs and gives the criticisms to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology
    Great link. Thanks, Rob.

I now am wise to the ways of Scientology.
  13. Not Kansas
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 16:25
    For posting this thread you will now be spammed, spammed, spammed and spammed yet again with invitations to an e-meter session.
  14. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 20:511 edit
    In Germany the Scientology Church was (is ?) considered to be a criminal organisation.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Jun '05 21:01
    One thing I can say, is NEVER let them get your name and address. They got mine through a friend back in 1989, and I still get junk mail from them even after having changed my address.

They Suck!

They also stole away 4 or so of my friends that 'bought' into it. They work for the 'church' now, and are paid with room and board, as well as dianetics sessions.

They don't even take asprin, let alone drink or smoke. They've all moved up to Boston, and are trying to get into 'Clear' or 'Fleet'. Some have even have children that are more like robots than anything.

Bad... bad bad bad... but I hope they are happy I guess. Only one of them really 'needed' a change like this.

Gah.

RX

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree