1. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 10:10
    A question for Christians, this is something that has had me puzzled for a while so if you could please explain the logic behind it then I would be thankful. Now correct me if I am wrong but the main message of Jesus was not to judge others, so why in a court do people swear in front of a book that’s most important message is not to judge in a building that’s purpose it to judge. I can see only three reasons why this could be 1) you think you are better at making judgments then Jesus 2) You haven’t thought about it 3) something I haven’t thought of

This has confused me for a while and if and of you could clear this up I would be thankful.
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 10:14
    Originally posted by Will Everitt
    A question for Christians, this is something that has had me puzzled for a while so if you could please explain the logic behind it then I would be thankful. Now correct me if I am wrong but the main message of Jesus was not to judge others, so why in a court do people swear in front of a book that’s most important message is not to judge in a building ...[text shortened]... f

This has confused me for a while and if and of you could clear this up I would be thankful.
    I think the main message of Jesus was salvation.
  3. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 10:21
    Well Jesus main message of what the individual should do to improve there life and the life of those around them.
  4. London
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 10:25
    A question for Christians, this is something that has had me puzzled for a while so if you could please explain the logic behind it then I would be thankful. Now correct me if I am wrong but the main message of Jesus was not to judge others, so why in a court do people swear in front of a book that’s most important message is not to judge in a building ...[text shortened]... f

Quite simply, Jesus was saying that it was not up to human beings to decide who is condemned to Hell. The word 'judge' is used in the sense of condemning, not jurisprudence.
  5. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 10:48

Right, JESUS did say that we are not to judge others. HE also said, in the same way you judge others. You will be judged in the same way.
    HE also said that we ere not to swear an oath. Our answers should simply be, yes or no.
    The swearing on the BIBLE, was started by the founding fathers, of this country.
  6. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 11:22
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    The swearing on the BIBLE, was started by the founding fathers, of this country.
    What - so people didn't swear on the bible before that?
    Don't think so.
  7. Colorado
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 13:33

The Bible says that God judges, and that we are to tell the truth. The swearing part I’m not too sure about, but the concept is simple. Tell the truth or risk damnation.
  8. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    25 Oct '05 16:40
    Originally posted by Redmike
    What - so people didn't swear on the bible before that?
    Don't think so.
    It problely was a tradition that came from Europe. Which was used very much in the same way. Even though it is contrary to what the WORD OF GOD says.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree