1. Joined
    05 Feb '04
    Moves
    73060
    06 Aug '05 16:50
    question: what is fate, does it exist ? what are the ramifications of fate for the modern man?
  2. Joined
    07 Feb '03
    Moves
    1058
    06 Aug '05 16:59
    Originally posted by skywalker red
    question: what is fate, does it exist ? what are the ramifications of fate for the modern man?
    According to the ancient Greeks fate existed and they expressed it within greek theatre in the form of Greek tragedy, Oedipus Rex is a prime example.

    With the advent of Christianity came the idea of free will, which is the polar opposite to fate.

    I personally believe that we will things to happen and when they do we write them off as coincidence or if you like fate.
  3. Joined
    16 Jul '05
    Moves
    167
    06 Aug '05 17:01
    Originally posted by Serendipity
    According to the ancient Greeks fate existed and they expressed it within greek theatre in the form of Greek tragedy, Oedipus Rex is a prime example.

    With the advent of Christianity came the idea of free will, which is the polar opposite to fate.

    I personally believe that we will things to happen and when they do we write them off as coincidence or if you like fate.
    oh i get it.
  4. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Joined
    16 Jun '04
    Moves
    63851
    06 Aug '05 17:01
    Fate is like destiny but where destiny tends to be grandiose ("it is my destiny to rule!"😉 fate is often negative ("It is my fate to sit here and listen to my father-in-law babble on and on about his garden"😉. They are both supposededly predestination. Personally, I don't think humans can ever truly believe in such stuff even if it were true, for we humans will always see true lack of free will ridiculous on any level other than purely intellectual. When we want something really bad, we say it is our destiny. If we feel trapped, we say we are fated to that doom.

    So what does fate mean to us? Nothing, for even if it did truly exist, we would ignore it in favor of our own fantasies.

    ... --- ...
  5. Joined
    07 Feb '03
    Moves
    1058
    06 Aug '05 17:05
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    Fate is like destiny but where destiny tends to be grandiose ("it is my destiny to rule!"😉 fate is often negative ("It is my fate to sit here and listen to my father-in-law babble on and on about his garden"😉. They are both supposededly predestination. Personally, I don't think humans can ever truly believe in such stuff even if it were true, for ...[text shortened]... for even if it did truly exist, we would ignore it in favor of our own fantasies.

    ... --- ...
    But if fate did exist, fatalists believe it to be unavoidable, check out how Oedipus tried to avoid his fate but found it impossible to do so.

    A modern equvilent of fate is determinism, ie everything is pre-determined.. ... I dont think so...we have choices, a limited amount, but we have them
  6. Joined
    16 Jul '05
    Moves
    167
    06 Aug '05 17:06
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    Fate is like destiny but where destiny tends to be grandiose ("it is my destiny to rule!"😉 fate is often negative ("It is my fate to sit here and listen to my father-in-law babble on and on about his garden"😉. They are both supposededly predestination. Personally, I don't think humans can ever truly believe in such stuff even if it were true, for ...[text shortened]... for even if it did truly exist, we would ignore it in favor of our own fantasies.

    ... --- ...
    if that is fate, then why is this in the spiritual forums? how is fate spiritual?
  7. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Joined
    16 Jun '04
    Moves
    63851
    06 Aug '05 17:11
    Originally posted by Serendipity
    But if fate did exist, fatalists believe it to be unavoidable, check out how Oedipus tried to avoid his fate but found it impossible to do so.

    A modern equvilent of fate is determinism, ie everything is pre-determined.. ... I dont think so...we have choices, a limited amount, but we have them
    Of course you think we have choices. That's what I'm saying: humans will always think we have choices. We can't help it; it's a kind of survival mechinism. True fatalism is rare and when it does exist it's suicidal. If we can't choose it get up in the morning, why exert ourselves to do it? If we can't choose what to eat, why not just let fate drop food into my mouth? If I am destined to live it will happen. If I am not, then I am fated to death. Even people who call themselves fatalists believe in limited choices, even if it is only choosing what to have for breakfast or which foot to use first when walking down the street.

    ... --- ...
  8. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Joined
    16 Jun '04
    Moves
    63851
    06 Aug '05 17:12
    Originally posted by FreaKinGenius
    if that is fate, then why is this in the spiritual forums? how is fate spiritual?
    Hey, I didn't start this thread.
  9. Joined
    16 Jul '05
    Moves
    167
    06 Aug '05 17:14
    lol wasnt me.🙄
  10. Joined
    05 Feb '04
    Moves
    73060
    06 Aug '05 18:38
    Originally posted by FreaKinGenius
    if that is fate, then why is this in the spiritual forums? how is fate spiritual?
    well, it sounds like we havent quite determined what fate is for sure because it means different things to different people. so your question--"if that is fate" is still open to discussion. Fate as a transendental concept would naturally be in the realm of the spritual, would it not?
Back to Top