1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 23:13
    Do you reject the afterlife?

I suppose if you are a true sceptic you would. But if you just hate religion then there is no necessity to repudiate an afterlife.
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 23:14
    Originally posted by Conrau K

I suppose if you are a true sceptic you would. But if you just hate religion then there is no necessity to repudiate an afterlife.
    Yes, absolutely. When you're dead, you're dead.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 23:48

Are you going to answer? Are you not an atheist as well?
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 00:12

I do not believe in an afterlife. Not because I "hate" religion, but rather because it lacks any plausibility whatsoever.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 01:52
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I do not believe in an afterlife. Not because I "hate" religion, but rather because it lacks any plausibility whatsoever.
    Same here.
  6. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 03:13

What is an afterlife? After + life = oxymoron
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 03:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    Are you going to answer? Are you not an atheist as well?
    I haven't made up my mind on the afterlife and if I am an atheist I'm not a committed one.

But just so you know, atheism does not imply a belief or lack of belief that there is or isn't an afterlife.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 03:19
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Just out of curiosity why does it lack plausbility?
  9. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 03:26
    Because he believes that he is right, and everyone else is wrong, so it is unplausible in his mind.

The truth is, the only people who could possibly know what happens after you die are dead people--and you can try asking them if you want, but they are not big on conversation.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 04:02
    Religion or afterlife?
  11. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 04:02
    Originally posted by Furor
    Because he believes that he is right, and everyone else is wrong, so it is unplausible in his mind.

The truth is, the only people who could possibly know what happens after you die are dead people--and you can try asking them if you want, but they are not big on conversation.
    That may be right but there are a whole series of issues that would need to be considered for an examination of any afterlife.

Firstly, something needs to continue after the death. What is that likely to be? A soul? Fine, but what is the nature of that soul? What is it? How does it work? What is it constructed from?

How is that things, whatever it is, continued after life? Is there a transference of some type into a new form and how might thta transfer take place?

What is the nature of the place where all of these things are stored or contained after death? In other words just what is the afterlife - heaven, hell, or whatever that might be - actually like? Where is it in relation to the rest of the universe? Are there boundaries to it? IUs it limited or limitless? Finite or infinite?
    What are the rules for entry to this afterlife? Is it only human beings? Or are animals allowed to? What about disabled humans - or mthe mentally challenged? And children of any age or is there some sort of developmental boundary you need to cross? What about embryos and foetuses? What would the afterlife be like for such things?

That's a five minute thought. I'm sure there's many other issues to tease out.

The point of all this?
    Plausibility may not be the best term, but the alternative to an afterlife is certainly the simpler explanation.
    I'm all for it.

And I think any atheist worth his salt must fall on that side of the debate. To answer some or all of these questions you must enter the world of the supernatural, and while strictly speaking of course atheism does not reject or accept the supernatural - it makes no sense to be an atheist and believe that supernatural events are possible.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 04:34
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Religion or afterlife?
    Does it even need to be said that religion is implausible?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 04:35
    Originally posted by amannion
    That may be right but there are a whole series of issues that would need to be considered for an examination of any afterlife.

Firstly, something needs to continue after the death. What is that likely to be? A soul? Fine, but what is the nature of that soul? What is it? How does it work? What is it constructed from?

How is that things, whatever it is ...[text shortened]... ural - it makes no sense to be an atheist and believe that supernatural events are possible.
    That was very good.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 04:41
    The presence of life has a correlation with chemical and electrical activities in the body. It doesn't seem likely that these events which are so intimately tied with life could stop, the body fall down dead, yet somehow the being lives on.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 10:141 edit

If something called an afterlife exists then a few things about it are almost cirtain.
    1. It is not a physical entity in this universe, therefore not real.
    2. The differences between the dead being and the being in the afterlife would be so dramatic as to make them two seperate beings. Your conciousness would not continue on but rather a new conciousness would be created.

It has been sugested in this forum that a sould would contain the sum of all memories from your whole life.

[edit]
    I dont believe in an afterlife.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree