A Serious Question:  The Babel Incident

A Serious Question: The Babel Incident

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
31 Oct 05
2 edits

Genesis 11

And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.

And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.

And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.

And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.

Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Four questions this week:

1. Is a Bible literalist committed to believing that before this incident, there was literally only one language spoken by all people?

2. Is a Bible literalist committed to believing that variety of language is a result of this event. That is, but for this event or some later divine intervention, we would all speak the same language?

3. Is a Bible literalist committed to accepting that communication and imagination are sufficient ingredients for mankind's achievements?

4. Is a Bible literalist committed to acknowledging that God intentionally confounds Man on occasion?

R
Track drifter ®

Hoopnholler, MN

Moves
31 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

-----------------------------------------------------------

1. Is a Bible literalist committed to believing that before this incident, there was literally only one language spoken by all people?

2. Is a Bible literalist committed to believing that variety of language is a result of this e ...[text shortened]... . Is a Bible literalist committed to acknowledging that God intentionally confounds Man on occasion?
No.

S

Moves
31 Oct 05

I would have thought that anyone claiming/admitting to be a Bible literalist would be forced to agree with points 1-4 by definition of their biblical literalism. Or have I missed something?

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
31 Oct 05

Genesis 11

[b]And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.

And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter. ...[text shortened]... a Bible literalist committed to acknowledging that God intentionally confounds Man on occasion?[/b]
Also is a Bible literalist committed to the interpretation that a tower of brick can be constructed in such a way as to span the distance from the earth to heaven?

This tale has come to my mind on several occasions when I was 30,000+ ft. above the earth.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
31 Oct 05

Clearly, God is either paranoid and a poor engineer, or the Bible is the least trustworthy source imaginable on matters of science, or the purpose of this story cannot become clear to the literalist.

a

Forgotten

Moves
01 Nov 05

yes yes no no

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
01 Nov 05

Originally posted by telerion

This tale has come to my mind on several occasions when I was 30,000+ ft. above the earth.
Did you get a good look at the firmament? Has it started to rust?

b

Moves
01 Nov 05

Genesis 11

[b]And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter. ...[text shortened]... a Bible literalist committed to acknowledging that God intentionally confounds Man on occasion?[/b]
1. Yes
2. Yes
For example, do not most of the countries of world, teach English as a second Language.
3. Yes
For example, do not all Art, Inventions, Sciencetific thought and etc. etc., come from mans Imangenation.
4.Yes
For example Religious thought.