1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 20:11
    Originally posted by Halitose
    My apologies.

I've reread (5), you get a resounding yes.
    Very good.

Do you agree with this:

6) If a sort of animal's lineage exhibits changes via a process that makes use of (2) through (4) and results in a new species, such changes depend on an intelligent design, and that new species is a product of intelligent design.
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 20:13
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Very good.

Do you agree with this:

6) If a sort of animal's lineage exhibits changes via a process that makes use of (2) through (4) and results in a new species, such changes depend on an intelligent design, and that new species is a product of intelligent design.
    Yes
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 20:16
    Yes
    Good.

Do you agree with this:

7) If a sort of animal's lineage exhibits changes via a process that makes use of (2) through (4) and results in man, such changes depend on an intelligent design, and man is a product of intelligent design.
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 20:171 edit
    Good.

Do you agree with this:

7) If a sort of animal's lineage exhibits changes via a process that makes use of (2) through (4) and results in man, such changes depend on an intelligent design, and man is a product of intelligent design.
    Yes, with reservations.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 20:194 edits
    Yes
    Describe your reservations. (7) follows logically from (6). Refer to the reference on implications if you need to.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 20:231 edit
    Good.

Do you agree with this:

If the God depicted in the OT were to be the driving force behind this, it would not be neccessary as he would already have created man and animals seperately.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 20:241 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    If the God depicted in the OT were to be the driving force behind this, it would not be neccessary as he would already has created man and animals seperately.
    Do you believe (7) to be true or false? Please don't muddy the waters with immaterial claims.
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 20:251 edit
    Describe your reservations. (7) follows logically from (6).
    Logically, yes. But I contend that process (2) through (4) doesn't allow for speciation beyond a kind, which I guess would be comparible to the biological classification of a suborder.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 20:288 edits
    Logically, yes. But I contend that process (2) through (4) doesn't allow for speciation beyond a kind, which I guess would be comparible to the biological classification of an order.
    You still do not understand how the truth of an implication is evaluated. If its antecedent is false - which you seem to think is the case - then the implication itself is true. Do you follow, and do you accept that (7) is true?

The only way you can hold that (7) is false is if you actually believe that man did result from some process that used (2) through (4), and that man's emergence does not entail intelligent design. I don't think you believe both of these things, and thus I think you must believe that (7) is true.

Additonally, (7) follows directly from (6). You can't rationally believe (6) and not (7).

Think it over. I'll be back in an hour. We're quite near the end. There should be only two or three steps left, and you need not fear the conclusion. I promise you this: it won't be anything at all like "Therefore, man evolved from a lower species." In fact, I expect you will be quite comfortable and pleased with it.

Dr. S

P.S. If you're really hung up on (7) but you still accept (6), I'll withdraw (7) from consideration. It's really not a necessary premise of my argument.
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 20:39
    You still do not understand how the truth of an implication is evaluated. If its antecedent is false - which you seem to think is the case - then the implication itself is true. Do you follow, and do you accept that (7) is true?

The only way you can hold that (7) is false is if you actually believe that man did result from some process th ...[text shortened]... ar the end. There should be only two or three steps left, and you need not fear the conclusion.
    Your logic is impeccable as always Dr. I will have to backtrack to (6).

My acceptance of (6) is that (6) would be limited to a biological suborder.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 20:413 edits
    Your logic is impeccable as always Dr. I will have to backtrack to (6).

My acceptance of (6) is that (6) would be limited to a biological suborder.
    Do you agree that this is an impossible occurance:
    "a sort of animal's lineage exhibits changes via a process that makes use of (2) through (4) and results in a new species"

If you do, then you find that the antecedent of (6) must be false, and thus you must find (6) itself to be true.

I'll be back shortly. Don't abandon this thread - I'm trying to give you a gift, but I will only give it on the condition that you understand it.
  12. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 20:501 edit
    Do you agree that this is an impossible occurance:
    "a sort of animal's lineage exhibits changes via a process that makes use of (2) through (4) and results in a new species"

If you do, then you find that the antecedent of (6) must be false, and thus you must find (6) itself to be true.

I'll be back shortly. Don't abandon this thread - I'm trying to give you a gift, but I will only give it on the condition that you understand it.
    (6) I'm fine with.
    (7) is the one I'm hung up on.
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 21:321 edit
    (6) I'm fine with.
    (7) is the one I'm hung up on.
    Forget (7) then.

Do you agree with this:

(8) The theory of evolution finds that there exists an animal whose
    lineage has exhibited changes via a process that makes use of (2)
    through (4), having resulted in a new species.
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 21:37
    Forget (7) then.

Do you agree with this:

(8) The theory of evolution finds that there exists an animal whose
    lineage has exhibited changes via a process that makes use of (2)
    through (4), having resulted in a new species.
    Yes.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    06 Oct '05 21:443 edits
    Yes.
    Very good. We're almost there.

Do you agree that from (6) and (8), this follows:

(9) The changes postulated in (8) depend on an intelligent design, and the postulated new species is a product of intelligent design.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree