1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 May '07 06:2013 edits
    Originally posted by Varqa
    But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
    11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
    11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and ...[text shortened]... we can do about it. So let's just go on sinning and simply believe that our sins are paid for.
    There is at least one major flaw in your analogy as it pertains to the issue at hand (which is whether Islamic law fails to respect human rights): there is no country in the world today that implements Levitical or Corinthian law. There is no predominantly Christian nation whose modern-day laws actually call for a woman to be shorn should she fail to cover herself.

Contrast this with Iran and other Islamic nations where Islamic law is the law of the land, in accordance with which women are lawfully beaten and adulterers are actually stoned to death in modern times.

As a matter of personal belief and religion, sure fundamental Islam is not necessarily any worse that fundamental Christianity. It is obviously wrong to shear or beat women, and which is worse isn't really a debate that interests me. But as a matter of practice, as beliefs are actually implemented as law, the Islamic world is far, far worse. Modern Christian nations at least have the sense to recognize that you can't as a matter of law call for the shearing of women, even if their citizens believe on some level that in God's eyes they ought to be shorn. In the Islamic world, however, they actually saw people's limbs off as criminal punishment, for God's sake, merely because the Koran calls for eye for an eye justice.
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 May '07 06:38
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I would ask members of this forum to henceforth follow my name with "(PBUH)" when using it in your posts.

For example, ahosney might say, "I have reconsidered the evidence, and I have found that Dr. S (PBUH) was right in claiming that Islamic law fails to respect a variety of human rights."
    Somebody reel him down from the roof!

"Come back Doctor Scribbles...come back down..."
  3. Earth
    Moves
    17 May '07 07:12
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    There is at least one major flaw in your analogy as it pertains to the issue at hand (which is whether Islamic law fails to respect human rights): there is no country in the world today that implements Levitical or Corinthian law. There is no predominantly Christian nation whose modern-day laws actually call for a woman to be shorn should she fail ...[text shortened]... inal punishment, for God's sake, merely because the Koran calls for eye for an eye justice.
    One must either believe full-heartedly or not at all.

You are saying that Muslims follow their holy book and the Christians pick and choose what they wish to believe and what they want to follow?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 May '07 07:43
    Originally posted by Varqa
    One must either believe full-heartedly or not at all.
    In your religion yes but not necessarily in the text of a book. The vast majority of Christians accept publicly that there are parts of the Bible that they do not take as absolute fact. In fact the old Testament is mostly ignored by many Christians.

You are saying that Muslims follow their holy book and the Christians pick and choose what they wish to believe and what they want to follow?
    A strong part of Muslim belief is the belief that the Qu'ran is not only 100% accurate but that it is a guide to life including all aspects of life not just what you do on Sundays. Many Christians seem quite content to only behave in a 'Christian manner' on Sundays. To me, most Christians appear to be hypocrites.
  5. Earth
    Moves
    18 May '07 03:08
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    In your religion yes but not necessarily in the text of a book. The vast majority of Christians accept publicly that there are parts of the Bible that they do not take as absolute fact. In fact the old Testament is mostly ignored by many Christians.

[b]You are saying that Muslims follow their holy book and the Christians pick and choose what they wish ...[text shortened]... ly behave in a 'Christian manner' on Sundays. To me, most Christians appear to be hypocrites.
    You must not be a Christian then.

I would not say that Christians are hypocrites, but Americans love convenience. They want to fix everything with a check or a pill. I think that is why Christianity is so popular here. Just go to church once in a while or at least send in the money and your sins are forgiven.

I am sorry, but that is NOT what the Bible says.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree