And therefore never send to know for whom
    the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

John Donne
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 04:48
    One of the all time great poems in the English language, and there is more spirituality in it than in the average 38 posts in these forums.

Hemingway titled a novel For Whom the Bell Tolls inspired by this poem, and I vaguely recall someone writing a book titled No Man is an Island. There are many other ways this poem has proven influential.
  3. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    29 Mar '05 05:27
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    One of the all time great poems in the English language, and there is more spirituality in it than in the average 38 posts in these forums.

Hemingway titled a novel For Whom the Bell Tolls inspired by this poem, and I vaguely recall someone writing a book titled No Man is an Island. There are many other ways this poem has proven influential.
    Thomas Merton wrote " No Man Is An Island"

No Man is An Island

FROM THE PUBLISHER
    No Man Is an Island encapsulates Merton's most profound teachings on love, hope, and the search for fulfillment and meaning. In prose that is at once electrifying and eloquent, Merton writes with penetrating insight on topics that contemporaries: friendship, personal vocation, temptation, humility, spiritual loneliness, courage, and life among others. Rich in wisdom, crackling with candid observations, No Man Is an Island is a classic that has sustained millions readers with its extraordinary understanding of humanity and the divine and with its practical applicability to our lives.
    Thomas Merton (1915-68), a world-renowned religious philosopher, wrote more than 60 books of poetry, meditation, philosophy, and social criticism. For nearly 27 years, he was a monk of the austere Trappist order, where he became a towering spiritual figure and revered mystic as well as an antiwar activist and witness to peace.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree