1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 00:14
    I know this seems silly, but if you will, please define the word 'illusion'.
  2. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 00:36
    This is where the visual senses are being deceived in some way so as to sense something visually that cannot be, or is not as it appears to be.

A card trick would be an illusion. Spacial distance and two dimension images can cause illusions. A ghost would be an illusion (I say "would be" because there is no evidence to the existence of ghosts, but I'm sure there are people that think they've seen a ghost and perhaps they have - but it's an illusion). There are many optical and graphic illusions.

Illusions cannot happen with the other senses. Illusions are tricks of the eye.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 00:46
    Originally posted by Badwater

Illusions cannot happen with the other senses. Illusions are tricks of the eye.
    There are a variety of auditory illusions.
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 06:182 edits
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    There are a variety of auditory illusions.
    There can be illusions with other senses, but the reason why I would disclude them is that the other senses are not as keen as vision - provided one has sufficient vision. Sure, the other senses can be fooled but that's easily done and if one is using all their senses, to the extent possible, then the optical illusion is the most convincing one and the one that the observer is most likely to trust, or be deceived by.

If I taste something that is what it's not then I tend to not be impressed. If I see something visual, though...if I see a ghost, I mean really see one, it's awfully hard to dissuade the mind from the alternative. Yes, technically, illusions can happen with other senses but visual illusions stand apart.
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 06:221 edit
    There can be illusions with other senses, but the reason why I would disclude them is that the other senses are not as keen as vision - provided one has sufficient vision. Sure, the other senses can be fooled but that's easily done and if one is using all their senses, to the extent possible, then the optical illusion is the most convincing one and the one e. Yes, technically, illusions can happen with other senses but visual illusions stand apart.
    Ignore this, I hit the wrong button, it's late, and I have an early morning.😕
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Oct '09 17:14
    There can be illusions with other senses, but the reason why I would disclude them is that the other senses are not as keen as vision - provided one has sufficient vision. Sure, the other senses can be fooled but that's easily done and if one is using all their senses, to the extent possible, then the optical illusion is the most convincing one and the one ...[text shortened]... e. Yes, technically, illusions can happen with other senses but visual illusions stand apart.
    I largely agree with your reasoning, however it is interesting to be able to define whether noises or 'voices' are coming from outside your head or inside it. Or neither.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree