1. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    05 May '06 20:38
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Most of the arguments you would use to sustain premise 2 could be applied to demolish premise 1. Think about it.
    You are attempting to frame this debate through a "perception is reality" argument. What I am trying (and apparently failing) to point out is that this argument only applies to the spiritual, and inherently variable aspect of the discussion.

God is many things to many people, and He is nothing to the atheists among us - Perception.
    1+1=2 regardless of who you ask - Truth.

-JC
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    05 May '06 21:41
    Originally posted by Churlant
    You are attempting to frame this debate through a "perception is reality" argument. What I am trying (and apparently failing) to point out is that this argument only applies to the spiritual, and inherently variable aspect of the discussion.

God is many things to many people, and He is nothing to the atheists among us - Perception.

-JC
    Ah... so you are arguing that the universal acceptance of a truth-claim validates its authenticity while a truth-claim that does not enjoy universal acceptance must therefore be false?

Have you tried discussing Quantum Mechanics with a Papua New Guinean tribe? 😀
  3. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    05 May '06 21:56
    Ah... so you are arguing that the universal acceptance of a truth-claim validates its authenticity while a truth-claim that does not enjoy universal acceptance must therefore be false?

Have you tried discussing Quantum Mechanics with a Papua New Guinean tribe? 😀
    Actually, I am arguing that truth does not need universal acceptance (nor will it receive anywhere near) to remain valid. In actuality, religious faith enjoys far wider acceptance than such trivial matters as "Quantum Mechanics"... such simplicity doesn't make it "truth".

-JC
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    05 May '06 23:45
    Actually, I am arguing that truth does not need universal acceptance (nor will it receive anywhere near) to remain valid. In actuality, religious faith enjoys far wider acceptance than such trivial matters as "Quantum Mechanics"... such simplicity doesn't make it "truth".

-JC
    So why do you think a truth-claim pertaining to God cannot be valid?
  5. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    06 May '06 12:29
    So why do you think a truth-claim pertaining to God cannot be valid?
    A truth-claim pertaining to God cannot be validated because there is nothing to validate. This is what faith is - belief that does not rely on logical or material evidence.

-JC
  6. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    07 May '06 23:10

-JC
    unless your using base 2
    then 1+1=10
  7. Meddling with things
    Moves
    07 May '06 23:29
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    unless your using base 2
    then 1+1=10
    There are 10 sorts of people...

those who understand bianary

and those who don't
  8. Meddling with things
    Moves
    07 May '06 23:29
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    There are 10 sorts of people...

those who understand binary

and those who don't
  9. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    07 May '06 23:45
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    a big BOOlean on your misspelling
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 May '06 08:31
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    unless your using base 2
    then 1+1=10
    Perspiration is everything, after all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree