1. Standard memberKellyJayonline
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 16:38
    To those who actually acknowledge what is inside the woman is a human life yet still believe abortion is good and just.
    To those who believe that even an embryo is a human life at one of human life’s earliest stage of development, yet feel it is still a good thing to experiment on it for the greater good, so that it dies a worth while death that may promote science in helping science come up with new ways to save others, I have to say this is no different than the human sacrifices of years ago when people were killed to please gods.

If you do not acknowledge what is inside the woman as a human life, you have a different set of parameters for different discussions, I’m sure you disagree with what I just said, but this more for those that do acknowledge human life even at its earliest stages.
    Kelly
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 19:142 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    To those who actually acknowledge what is inside the woman is a human life yet still believe abortion is good and just.
    To those who believe that even an embryo is a human life at one of human life’s earliest stage of development, yet feel it is still a good thing to experiment on it for the greater good, so that it dies a worth while death that may promot ...[text shortened]... said, but this more for those that do acknowledge human life even at its earliest stages.
    Kelly
    These children are sacrificed to the liberal idol called the "autonomous human person."

They sacrifice even their own lives and those of other adults to this idol when committing euthanasia and assisted suicide.
  3. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 19:58
    To those who believe that even an embryo is a human life at one of human life’s earliest stage of development, yet feel it is still a good thing to experiment on it for the greater good, so that it dies a worth while death that may promot ...[text shortened]... said, but this more for those that do acknowledge human life even at its earliest stages.
    Kelly
    I wouldn't say it's not human life. It is, however, not a person, as it does not capable of responding to stimuli until the third trimester.
    I wouldn't say it's like sacrificing to the gods, as the scientists do not coerce people into having abortions for their experiments, they make use of something which would otherwise go to waste.
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 20:42
    Kelly
    KJ, you know the common stance around here is that while these embryos are certainly alive and are human (and therefore are human life), it does not convey upon them the right not to be harmed. There has been extensive debate about the existence of "personhood" in such creatures and whether they should have the same protections as, for example, newborn infants. Because much of the debate hinges critically upon this quality, it is not useful to say that supporting abortion or embryonic stem cell research is like supporting human sacrifice. The advocates of the former actions contend that terminating the life of a fetus (or certainly of an embryo!) is not equivalent to terminating the life of a self-aware born human being.

Notice that your argument can be used to equate abortion/embryonic stem cell research with fertility therapy, killing in self-defense, killing in war, and terminating loved ones in permanent vegetative states. In all of these cases you are killing human life. Just because you acknowledge that an organism is alive and belongs to the species homo sapiens sapiens does not make killing it necessarily unjustifiable.

Edit: Now if you are speaking only to those that believe that embryos are self-aware agents capable of feeling pain and the desire to live, then I agree with you. Such embryos if they exist (and I doubt very much that they do) should not be sacrificed for the greater good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree