1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 21:11
    http://phys.org/news/2012-10-moderate-beliefs-rarely-prevail.html

They don't mention religion in the article but it seems the theory should cover religious radicals as well and other types.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 22:48
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://phys.org/news/2012-10-moderate-beliefs-rarely-prevail.html

They don't mention religion in the article but it seems the theory should cover religious radicals as well and other types.
    I wonder how the model works when there are both "A" zealots and "B" zealots in the model. Would the population of "AB" and "BA" moderates be stable, yet dynamic, with a flow in both directions, or might they not even increase, until the only A's and B's left were the A and B zealots? I wonder this because on this forum we have some participants who I believe would be classified as theistic and atheistic "zealots".

Also, the model does not envision an encounter that results in a direct A to B or B to A conversion. That's reasonable IMO. Is there evidence of anyone on this forum moving from A to AB, or B to BA; and then moving from AB to B or BA to A? In other words, have any regular participants become more moderate? But maybe we need to understand what a "moderate" position would be, and what are its observable attributes, on the theist - atheist axis.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Oct '12 22:53
    Originally posted by JS357
    I wonder how the model works when there are both "A" zealots and "B" zealots in the model. Would the population of "AB" and "BA" moderates be stable, yet dynamic, with a flow in both directions, or might they not even increase, until the only A's and B's left were the A and B zealots? I wonder this because on this forum we have some participants who I believe ...[text shortened]... n would be, and what are its observable attributes, on the theist - atheist axis.
    What is a moderate Theist or Atheist, people who believe in God about 50%
    of the time? 🙂
    Kelly
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 00:56
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    of the time? 🙂
    Kelly
    nah, that sounds more like a moderate christian.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 07:19
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    of the time? 🙂
    Kelly
    Here's a try: A moderate theist or atheist is a person who does not considerate it of utmost importance what his neighbors believe, as long as they keep their dog from barking all the time.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 07:34
    Here's a try: A moderate theist or atheist is a person who does not considerate it of utmost importance what his neighbors believe, as long as they keep their dog from barking all the time.
    Can you explain why any atheist moderate or otherwise should care what a Christian believes? Is something about my believing in God and Christ so important to an atheist that he must try to interfere with my belief?
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 07:411 edit
    A moderate theist or atheist is a person who does not consider it matters what his neighbors believe, as long as they don't keep trying to preach to him about their beliefs.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 07:53
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Can you explain why any atheist moderate or otherwise should care what a Christian believes? Is something about my believing in God and Christ so important to an atheist that he must try to interfere with my belief?
    Don't you want them to care about what you believe? Don't you want to interfere with their belief?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 08:17
    Don't you want them to care about what you believe? Don't you want to interfere with their belief?
    Sure, but I believe in God and that we all need a Savior to save our souls from the second death. I am trying to help whosoever will believe. The atheist has no such belief. So why should he care if I believe in fairy tales? He does not need to come on the spirituality forum to harass me about it. He can just ignore me.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 08:54
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Sure, but I believe in God and that we all need a Savior to save our souls from the second death. I am trying to help whosoever will believe. The atheist has no such belief. So why should he care if I believe in fairy tales? He does not need to come on the spirituality forum to harass me about it. He can just ignore me.
    I don't know why. Am I harassing you by replying to your posts? Tell me so, and I will stop replying to your posts. I generally leave you alone anyway, but I think you started this exchange. But then if I stop replying, I would ask that you not reply to my posts, too. Would you be willing to make this same deal with the people here who are harassing you? Or does your ideology require you to keep after them? You can say yes, after all, it seems to be true that it does require that.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 14:57
    I don't know why. Am I harassing you by replying to your posts? Tell me so, and I will stop replying to your posts. I generally leave you alone anyway, but I think you started this exchange. But then if I stop replying, I would ask that you not reply to my posts, too. Would you be willing to make this same deal with the people here who are harassing you? Or do ...[text shortened]... to keep after them? You can say yes, after all, it seems to be true that it does require that.
    Just replying to a post is not what I am referring to. It is attempting to dismiss my belief and faith as lies and fairy tales and degrading me and others like me as a moron for believing as I do. And on top of that of accusing me of immoral acts and harrassing me about such acts. These hateful statements only produce responses from me in stronger terms at the accuser.

If one believes in the hypothesis of abiogenesis and the theory of evolution, they can discuss it on the science forum and leave the Holy Bible out of it. If they wish to use those so-called scientific facts to assualt my belief system directly to me, they should expect hostile defensive tactics to be used on my side as well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree