1. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 00:51
    Originally posted by amannion
    Yes, I've never claimed that my atheism is any more special than the religious beliefs of others - it is a belief, I don't deny that. I can't prove there is no god any more than you can prove there is.
    As for resurrection, miracles and virgin birth? There is certainly no evidence for them, but that's not what you meant is it? I base my belief that they don ...[text shortened]... s Razor (there are certainly simpler explanations for these events than the supernatural.)
    as a scientist are you not aware that unusual events unfold under unusual circumstances?
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 00:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    as a scientist are you not aware that unusual events unfold under unusual circumstances?
    I'm not a scientist, but yes, I accept that unusual things happen.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 00:56
    I'm not a scientist, but yes, I accept that unusual things happen.
    things that would run contrary to 'natural', events?
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 00:59
    things that would run contrary to 'natural', events?
    No, since that would be 'supernatural' and I've already indicated that I don't believe in supernatural events. My worldview discounts the possibility, just as yours allows it.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 01:01
    No, since that would be 'supernatural' and I've already indicated that I don't believe in supernatural events. My worldview discounts the possibility, just as yours allows it.
    i know, i know i am just teasing 🙂
  6. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 01:06
    i know, i know i am just teasing 🙂
    Ah, I thought you were trying to trip me up ... very unsubtly.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 01:07
    Ah, I thought you were trying to trip me up ... very unsubtly.
    Lol, no your far too brainy for that nonsense 🙂
  8. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 01:13
    Lol, no your far too brainy for that nonsense 🙂
    Aw shucks ...
    Hardly - I'm stuck in my ways like the best and worst of them.
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 04:32
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Just saw the Mayor of NYC commenting on the bad weather that went thru there yesterday. During his comments he said the damage and at least 1 death was an "Act of God."
    Did God do this as he and many people believe? Comments?
    I would say God controls the weather because there are many times in the Bible that he uses weather. The flood was one time and he used it on paul and in the book of Jonah.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 05:37
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I would say God controls the weather because there are many times in the Bible that he uses weather. The flood was one time and he used it on paul and in the book of Jonah.
    Well that would be correct in some situations such as the flood. But it would not seem loving on his part if he actually used the weather on a regular bases to harm the earth or much worse to actually kill humans.
    There is no indication in the Bible that he does that on any scale that the earth gets in bad weather situations daily.
  11. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 05:52
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Well that would be correct in some situations such as the flood. But it would not seem loving on his part if he actually used the weather on a regular bases to harm the earth or much worse to actually kill humans.
    There is no indication in the Bible that he does that on any scale that the earth gets in bad weather situations daily.
    No, he just commands all of his human minions to rape and kill and plunder. Why bother with the weather?
  12. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 09:28
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Do you call sunshine and act of God, gentle rains, cool evenings, fields of growing
    crops, babies born healthy, having all things held together by the forces in place
    in the universe like gravity, and so on? It’s all the same thing, to call a storm bad
    act is passing judgment on something purely due to your likes and dislikes.
    Kelly
    You have used this particular bit of twisted logic before in other threads;

“...It’s all the same thing,...”

So, naturally occurring events that cause death and suffering are “the same thing” as naturally occurring events that do not cause death and suffering? Except they are not the “same thing” ; one causes suffering and the other doesn’t.

“...to call a storm bad act is passing judgment on something purely due to your likes and dislikes...”

So if a storm cause death and suffering then our judgement that it is a “bad” storm (and maybe also a bad “act” of God if we believe such superstition) is purely based on our likes and dislikes? -so its nothing to do with the death and suffering?
  13. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 10:32
    What the?!
    A blade of grass moves because of wind; wind occurs as a result of differences in the pressure of the air in an area; pressure differences and larges scale movement of air are a mixed result of the rotation of the Earth coupled with warming from the Sun.

You don't need a god and you don't need will.
    Because of the will of the Lord, in this universe we have wind, pressure systems, the earth rotates, and the sun shines......anything else I can help you with.

vishva
  14. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 10:36
    Originally posted by bbarr
    You don't think God works through avatars, gurus, etc.? If the truly spiritually awakened are identical with God, then God does personally interact with the world.
    Yes exactly,....... God does work through avatars and gurus, and they are agents of God, or pure vessles for God to channel.

vishva
  15. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 10:50
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    "The problem is that no one knows God in truth and therefore cannot love her properly and so the connection is not made."

I think your god and one I deal with are two different beings, so I agree with you
    that no one knows your god in truth so whatever she is up too is quite beyond
    not only my knowledge, but also isn't even something I care to know abo ...[text shortened]... y. You have your beliefs they can and will take you to
    where ever they will and can.
    Kelly
    Kelly for goodness sakes, your believing that Jesus is the Supreme God creator of heaven and earth, and that is false, so I know we are definately talking about two different beings for sure.

vishva

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree