1. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 15:57
    When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away. The eunuch never saw him again but went on his way rejoicing. (Acts of the Apostles 8:39 NLT)

After Phillip baptized the eunuch from Ethiopia we are told he is immediately snatched up by the Spirit of The Lord and taken away.

Do any fellow believers have any thoughts on:

1: why was Phillip taken immediately away and brought north to the town of Azotus ( I believe it was roughly 30 miles from where he and the eunuch were)

2: why was it important for this to be in scripture for us to see?

These two questions stuck with me last night after I had finished reading chapter 8.

Thanks
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 16:124 edits
    Originally posted by boonon
    When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away. The eunuch never saw him again but went on his way rejoicing. (Acts of the Apostles 8:39 NLT)

After Phillip baptized the eunuch from Ethiopia we are told he is immediately snatched up by the Spirit of The Lord and taken away.

...[text shortened]...
    These two questions stuck with me last night after I had finished reading chapter 8.

Thanks
    (Acts 8:39) When they had come up out of the water, Jehovah’s spirit quickly led Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him anymore, for he kept going on his way rejoicing - New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures

other translations read, carried away, snatched away, suddenly caught away etc the idea simply being that Philip was compelled by Gods spirit to go somewhere else.

why is it important? it demonstrates that God directs the preaching and teachings of Biblical truths by means of Holy spirit and that if a believer shows some interest God will make sure that he is found and directed towards Gods word. It also demonstrates the eunuchs willingness to be taught and learn and Philips evangelical spirit.

Book of Acts is one of the most exciting of all Bible books to read.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 16:22
    The KJV gives it as "And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing."

But the importance of the verse is not exactly the "catching away" of Philip. The entire point of the verse and the story is the rejoicing of the eunuch, having found what he had been searching for. It is about "the joy of Christ".
  4. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 20:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    (Acts 8:39) When they had come up out of the water, Jehovah’s spirit quickly led Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him anymore, for he kept going on his way rejoicing - New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures

other translations read, carried away, snatched away, suddenly caught away etc the idea simply being that Philip was compelled by ...[text shortened]... lips evangelical spirit.

Book of Acts is one of the most exciting of all Bible books to read.
    Thanks for the reply Robbie. I agree that the book of Acts is awesome. I agree with you about God directing us. We need to be listening for His voice and acting on Gods directions. I notice that Phillip didn't ask God 'why' he had to go, he just went. There is probably some good insight just into that act alone. I also agree it shows the willingness of the eunuch for instruction on things he did not know. He could not of been un educated by any means because of his position of authority. He was looking for and willing to take Phillips explanation of what he did not understand.

My thoughts were more on why did Phillip get taken away right after the baptism? I know you say led away, but I read it more like Ezekiel 8:3. My thoughts are that Phillip was supernaturally taken away. I'm wondering for what purpose? Like why so sudden? Was it to show the eunuch something, kind of emphasize the experience of the baptism or did God really need Phillip somewhere fast?
  5. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 20:37
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The KJV gives it as "And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing."

But the importance of the verse is not exactly the "catching away" of Philip. The entire point of the verse and the story is the rejoicing of the eunuch, having found what he had been searching for. It is about "the joy of Christ".
    Thanks Suzianne, I agree his rejoicing in learning of Jesus and accepting Him through baptism is not only important but 'awesome'. I have to admit though my main question is about the 'catching away'. I explained in my response to Robbie that I see it like in Ezekiel 8:3. Why right after they emerged from the water. One thought I have is it left no chance for the eunuch to thank Phillip or maybe even reward him. It would of been well within his means to do both. As I have been studying scripture much more close lately I am trying to not leave any stone unturned so to speak. My thoughts are that if God put these 'words and sequences or actions' into the Bible that it wasn't just to add more words to the page, they must be there for us to read and 'try' to understand for a certain reason. Thanks again for your reply. I am doing a 28 day devotional on the book of Acts but there is so much to take in and learn I have a feeling it will turn into 56 days 🙂
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 20:411 edit
    Thanks for the reply Robbie. I agree that the book of Acts is awesome. I agree with you about God directing us. We need to be listening for His voice and acting on Gods directions. I notice that Phillip didn't ask God 'why' he had to go, he just went. There is probably some good insight just into that act alone. I also agree it shows the willingness of the eu ...[text shortened]... , kind of emphasize the experience of the baptism or did God really need Phillip somewhere fast?
    Its quite interesting although I cannot say why he should to have left so suddenly nor do I think the Bible is explicit on giving a reason why. One could of course speculate 😀
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 21:391 edit

...[text shortened]...

Thanks
    Perhaps sunship can give you better answers than me. I am not sure I have the correct answers to these questions, but I will make a stab at them.

Remember the angel directed Phillip to a road going south from Jerusalem toward the Gaza desert so he could run and catch up to the Ethopian eunich, who was returning home while reading the scriptures in his slow moving chariot.

1. After the eunuch understood the gospel and was baptized, then the eunuch could carry the gospel messge back to Ethiopia and Phillip was no longer needed to go south. Therefore, to save time the Holy Spirit miraculously transported Phillip back north to were he was needed to continue teaching and baptizing in the name of Jesus.

2. I think the main idea is to show how the Holy Spirit worked through the apostles to help them do what Christ had last commanded them to do.
  8. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 21:45
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Perhaps sunship can give you better answers than me. I am not sure I have the correct answers to these questions, but I will make a stab at them.

Remember the angel directed Phillip to a road going south from Jerusalem toward the Gaza desert so he could run and catch up to the Ethopian eunich, who was returning home while reading the scriptures in his slo ...[text shortened]... ly Spirit worked through the apostles to help them do what Christ had last commanded them to do.
    Good insights RJ , thank you for your reply. I would agree with all you said. I'm not trying to over think anything, I'm just trying to make sure that I haven't over looked anything. 🙂

Thank you again.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 23:053 edits

...[text shortened]...

Thanks
    "In this brief account we are told that Philip left the Ethiopian suddenly after the baptism at the direction of the Holy Spirit. There is no clear evidence in the text that any other miracle was involved and such a miracle is not necessary to explain what happened. For example, Philip could have been shown that he had to leave the Ethiopian immediately and then travelled by the normal means of transport to Azotus. After all, that’s what happened when Paul was directed by the Holy Spirit to travel to Macedonia instead of to Asia and Bithynia (Acts 16:6-10). In Paul’s case, they “got ready at once to leave for Macedonia”. Philip’s sudden departure meant that the Ethiopian was unable to thank or reward Philip for his help. Instead of being occupied with the person God used to assist in his conversion, he was occupied with Christ as “he went on his way rejoicing”, which is much more important than Philip’s mode of travel." Written, June 2012.

http://georgesjournal.net/2012/06/29/was-philip-transported-miraculously-after-the-ethiopian-was-baptised/

"1: why was Phillip taken immediately away and brought north to the town of Azotus ( I believe it was roughly 30 miles from where he and the eunuch were)

[boonon, it would appear there was an immediate and urgent need in Azotus which the Holy Spirit made known to Phillip.]

2: why was it important for this to be in scripture for us to see?" -boonon

[Great question. To remind us that God's Omniscience was aware of the logistical details of Phillip' witnessing opportunities as well as ours; also to memorialize the Ethiopian's joy of salvation and preoccupation with the work and person of Christ.]

Edit: Barnes' Notes on Acts 8:39: "When Philip had baptized the eunuch, the Spirit of God showed him that it was not the will of God that he should accompany the eunuch to Meroe, but, on the contrary, that he should hasten away to Ashdod; as God had in that, and the neighboring places, work sufficient to employ him in." http://www.godvine.com/bible/acts/8-39
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 23:07
    Originally posted by RJHinds

Remember the angel directed Phillip to a road going south from Jerusalem toward the Gaza desert so he could run and catch up to the Ethopian eunich, who was returning home while reading the scriptures in his slo ...[text shortened]... ly Spirit worked through the apostles to help them do what Christ had last commanded them to do.
    Well said, RJ.
  11. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 00:27
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "In this brief account we are told that Philip left the Ethiopian suddenly after the baptism at the direction of the Holy Spirit. There is no clear evidence in the text that any other miracle was involved and such a miracle is not necessary to explain what happened. For example, Philip could have been shown that he had to leave the Ethiopian immediately ...[text shortened]... e neighboring places, work sufficient to employ him in." http://www.godvine.com/bible/acts/8-39
    Thank you GB. I appreciate your comments on this.

I am still of the thought that Phillip was super naturally transported after the baptism. In verse 26 the angel of the Lord speaks to Phillip saying ' Arise, and go toward the south...'.

Verse 39 is clearly worded different, 'the Spirit of the Lord caught away Phillip..' Now I suppose this could be apples to apples to some but I believe that scripture is worded in different, deliberate ways for a reason. Since starting the thread I have viewed a few different commentaries on this verse and they are as varied as everyone's thought are here as far as vs. 39 goes. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. 🙂

Thank you again for your reply.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 01:04
    Thank you GB. I appreciate your comments on this.

I am still of the thought that Phillip was super naturally transported after the baptism. In verse 26 the angel of the Lord speaks to Phillip saying ' Arise, and go toward the south...'.

Verse 39 is clearly worded different, 'the Spirit of the Lord caught away Phillip..' Now I suppose this could be appl ...[text shortened]... s far as vs. 39 goes. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. 🙂

Thank you again for your reply.
    You're welcome. If you'd like a relaxed unrated chess game sometime, please let me know.
  13. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 01:07
    I will do that, thank you.
  14. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 10:10

...[text shortened]...

Thanks
    I know what is ment be being snatched up in the spirit. There are not many here that have a belief in such things.

Why was Phillip taken, God needed him elsewhere, or it was needed for the eunuch's faith or both.

God wanted us to see this too! Are we not met by strangers in our lives that we never see again?
  15. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 10:47
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    I know what is ment be being snatched up in the spirit. There are not many here that have a belief in such things.

Why was Phillip taken, God needed him elsewhere, or it was needed for the eunuch's faith or both.

God wanted us to see this too! Are we not met by strangers in our lives that we never see again?
    Thank you Pudgenik,

I am of the same thinking as you on this verse.

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. (Hebrews 13:2 KJV)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree