Ad Astara -

Standard memberRemoved
Spirituality 09 Oct '19 18:32
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Oct '19 11:231 edit
    @divegeester

I always try to post with unswerving direct honesty, so test away.

Would you like to change the subject matter of this thread from the movie Ad Astra to your argument about hell ?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Oct '19 11:451 edit
    @Soothfast

If a gas giant were in the Goldilocks zone of a Type G or K star, say, there might still be possibilities for life if the gas giant has one or more large moons. Maybe?

I think the modern bedrock assumption is that abio genesis and evolution sprung up here on earth ... SO surely it must have done so on another planet as well.

That is the assumption I think driving the search for life on other planets.

But what if the underlying assumption is wrong?
  3. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    11 Oct '19 21:41
    @sonship said
    @Soothfast

If a gas giant were in the Goldilocks zone of a Type G or K star, say, there might still be possibilities for life if the gas giant has one or more large moons. Maybe?

I think the modern bedrock assumption is that abio genesis and evolution sprung up here on earth ... SO surely it must have done so on another planet as well.

That is the ...[text shortened]... ink driving the search for life on other planets.

But what if the underlying assumption is wrong?
    What if, what if, what if...

What if...?

In the absence of data, we must collect some.

Just the way science works.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 06:323 edits
    Two reviews of the film:

YouTube : Mark Kermode

YouTube : Science v Cinema

A third one:

Some spoilers about 5 mins into it....

YouTube
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 13:56
    @FMF

Good reviews. All three.
  6. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:081 edit
    @deepthought said
    but I do think it's likely we're rare. To the extent that we could be the only extant technological species in the galaxy.
    And if this is true for every Galaxy in the observable Universe there should be about 200-2000 billion technological species in the Universe. Not so rare anymore in my opinion.

"One of the most fundamental questions in astronomy is that of just how many galaxies the universe contains. The landmark Hubble Deep Field, taken in the mid-1990s, gave the first real insight into the universe's galaxy population. Subsequent sensitive observations such as Hubble's Ultra Deep Field revealed a myriad of faint galaxies. This led to an estimate that the observable universe contained about 200 billion galaxies.

The new research shows that this estimate is at least 10 times too low."

Source: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/hubble-reveals-observable-universe-contains-10-times-more-galaxies-than-previously-thought
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:131 edit
    @Kegge

"One of the most fundamental questions in astronomy is that of just how many galaxies the universe contains. The landmark Hubble Deep Field, taken in the mid-1990s, gave the first real insight into the universe's galaxy population. Subsequent sensitive observations such as Hubble's Ultra Deep Field revealed a myriad of faint galaxies. This led to an estimate that the observable universe contained about 200 billion galaxies.

The new research shows that this estimate is at least 10 times too low."

That's right. I have gazed at that picture for long periods of time in total wonderment.

But so far, our sample size of planets where life exists is 1.
    So far.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree