Adam and Eve of Islam

Adam and Eve of Islam

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
17 Oct 12

Lots of anti-Islamic posts talk about the degradation of women in Islam. I was interested to discover that the Quran blames both Adam and Eve for eating the forbidden fruit rather than placing the burden of original sin on women only as in the biblical version.

Thoughts?

C

Moves
17 Oct 12

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Lots of anti-Islamic posts talk about the degradation of women in Islam. I was interested to discover that the Quran blames both Adam and Eve for eating the forbidden fruit rather than placing the burden of original sin on women only as in the biblical version.

Thoughts?
The Islamic version is wrong, from a bad translation.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
17 Oct 12

Originally posted by CLL53
The Islamic version is wrong, from a bad translation.
A bad translation of what?

C

Moves
17 Oct 12

A bad translation of what?
The Quran, but translation was probably not the correct term, a bad "copy" is more appropriate. The issue not being translation from language to language but rather the accuracy of hand copies made (clerical errors, etc.)

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
17 Oct 12

The Quran, but translation was probably not the correct term, a bad "copy" is more appropriate. The issue not being translation from language to language but rather the accuracy of hand copies made (clerical errors, etc.)
So maybe the transcription error did arise or maybe not but is it still the case that the Qu'ran as it is contains this account in which Eve is not assigned the blame?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Oct 12

Unlike the bible the Qu'ran is still used in its original language.
No translation therefore no translation errors.

If "typos" had been made wouldn't we have a number of different Qu'rans?

rain

Moves
19 Oct 12
2 edits

Thoughts?
The bible doesn't blame Eve for the fall of man, it blames Adam. Over and over, you'll find the words "Adam's sin", or "from one man's sin (Adam's), death entered the world", as far as the "Original Sin" is concerned.

The Bible does say Eve was "Deceieved", but not Adam; this seems to indicate that the Bible believed Adam knew better; thus, Adam is the one held in the wrong.

Thus, the point in the original post of this thread doesn't really lend to the thought the Koran any more respectful to women, compared to the Bible. Not that I endorse the bible or it's bigoted views.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Oct 12

Originally posted by vivify
The bible doesn't blame Eve for the fall of man, it blames Adam. Over and over, you'll find the words "Adam's sin", or "from one man's sin (Adam's), death entered the world", as far as the "Original Sin" is concerned.

The Bible does say Eve was "Deceieved", but not Adam; this seems to indicate that the Bible believed Adam knew better; thus, Adam is the ...[text shortened]... omen, compared to the Bible. Not that I endorse the bible or it's bigoted views.
I don't recall any bigoted views promoted by the Holy Bible. What exactly are you talking about? Can you define what you mean by a bigoted view and were this bigoted view is endorsed in the Holy Bible?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Oct 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
I don't recall any bigoted views promoted by the Holy Bible. What exactly are you talking about? Can you define what you mean by a bigoted view and were this bigoted view is endorsed in the Holy Bible?
You don't recall, or more likely conveniently forget, the passage that goes, a man is worth 50 shekels, a woman 35 shekels? Seems pretty bigoted to me. It's right there in black and white in YOUR bible.
Eve was deceived, as in, she was inferior so didn't know any better, but Adam the great on the other hand was the superior one so he takes the rap.

Moves
20 Oct 12

Thoughts?
Actually God held them both accountable as individuals; Eve listened to the serpent over God's word and Adam listened to his wife over God's word.

In fact all through the Bible sin is referred to as entering the world through Adam, not Eve. Adam was accountable to God, Eve was given to him as a companion, it was Adam's responsibility.

Questions that cross my mind are:

- Where was Adam when Eve was being beguiled?

- If Adam had not eaten the "fruit" what would have happened to Eve?

- Is there a correlation between Adam eating of it and Christ's sacrifice?

- Why did God allow Satan entry to the garden, when there was flaming cherubim on most corners?

- God must have killed an animal to provide them with skins, is this also a parable?

Moves
20 Oct 12

Originally posted by divegeester
Actually God held them both accountable as individuals; Eve listened to the serpent over God's word and Adam listened to his wife over God's word.

In fact all through the Bible sin is referred to as entering the world through Adam, not Eve. Adam was accountable to God, Eve was given to him as a companion, it was Adam's responsibility.

Questions tha ...[text shortened]... ?

- God must have killed an animal to provide them with skins, is this also a parable?
and why did god have a tree of knowledge anyway?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Oct 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
You don't recall, or more likely conveniently forget, the passage that goes, a man is worth 50 shekels, a woman 35 shekels? Seems pretty bigoted to me. It's right there in black and white in YOUR bible.
Eve was deceived, as in, she was inferior so didn't know any better, but Adam the great on the other hand was the superior one so he takes the rap.
You misunderdtsnd everything in the Holy Bible. You need to read the whole Bible, then get a Believer's Bible Commentary and go over it again with that.
Then with a little prayer and reflections maybe you will see the light.