1. London
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 10:41
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    For reference: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/10/us/10pilgrim.html

The article describes how, generally, Christian churches profess that 'all are welcome' to worship at
    their houses, to experience the Word of God, to be 'saved,' or whatever. However, it is becoming
    apparent that all are not welcome in many churches, specifically sex offenders. ...[text shortened]... d have to
    admit him in your congregation and welcome him. So what say you?

Nemesio
    "Love the sinner, hate the sin."

This should be a fairly straightforward issue for a Christian. The offender in question has publicly owned up to his past guilt and is willing to cooperate with whatever reasonable restrictions the church wants to place on him to protect its young members. So, as far as the rest of the congregation are concerned, disgust at his past actions should not prevent them from including him in their fold.

Now, if some parents feel that those safeguards are inadequate or that the person concerned may relapse, they are perfectly within their rights to worship elsewhere where they feel safer. I do not consider this reason a lack of Christian charity or forgiveness.

The pastor here has an important responsibility to communicate to his congregation here -- both as to their Christian duty in accepting the repentant sinner and as to the practical safeguards in place. If there is a lay administrative body in the church, it should be involved in drawing up and reviewing those safeguards.

Equally important is how the pastor communicates with those congregants who genuinely feel their children may not be safe in the current environment. I think he should let them know that it's okay for them to put their children's safety first. Essentially, he should not be wrongly berating them for lack of Christian charity.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Apr '07 22:47
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    For reference: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/10/us/10pilgrim.html

The article describes how, generally, Christian churches profess that 'all are welcome' to worship at
    their houses, to experience the Word of God, to be 'saved,' or whatever. However, it is becoming
    apparent that all are not welcome in many churches, specifically sex offenders. ...[text shortened]... d have to
    admit him in your congregation and welcome him. So what say you?

Nemesio
    We need to be on guard. Some times the people we trust the most prove to be guilty of the worst sin. Everyone is capable of falling.

I liked vistesd post.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    14 Apr '07 22:46
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Equally important is how the pastor communicates with those congregants who genuinely feel their children may not be safe in the current environment. I think he should let them know that it's okay for them to put their children's safety first. Essentially, he should not be wrongly berating them for lack of Christian charity.
    In the context of worship and church fellowship, these kids ought not
    be in any danger given the precautions set out. Someone's leaving
    would not be out of rational concern but irrational fear, like when my
    son doesn't want to go down the slide on his butt for 'fear' of falling
    off the slide.

But let's say that the parents of children have a legitimate fear. What
    of the parishioners who leave 'out of principal,' the ones who say 'If
    a pedophile is in our midst, I refuse to stay,' the ones not looking out
    for their children but out of a sense of 'comfort' that they believe
    church should be?

What should the pastor make of these people (and, as you can read
    from the article, there are more than a few of them)?

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree