1. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 11:10
    why, in the 21st century, are homsexuals targetted by "right wing" christians as being "evil" and going to hell? why is it approached differently from even more pressung problems, such as alcoholism, or subtle problems, such as greed and gluttony?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 11:21
    Originally posted by genius
    why, in the 21st century, are homsexuals targetted by "right wing" christians as being "evil" and going to hell? why is it approached differently from even more pressung problems, such as alcoholism, or subtle problems, such as greed and gluttony?
    Alcohol is endemic in the church tradition, greed and gluttony are 'sins' and therefore part of the perpetual motion of the church's guilt/atonement marketing. Homosexuality on the other hand supposedly threatens the production of children, which as we all know is the best way to keep religion going. On top of that, if homosexuality was allowed priests might do each other instead of small boys and that would never do.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 11:21
    Because, as in every other century, many people feel disgusted or otherwise offended by the idea of homosexuality (especially men I think) whereas it is easy to sympathize with a drunk and possibly even imagine yourself in that situation.
    However, I think child molesters and murderers get similar treatment to homosexuals. And what about 'terrorists'?
  4. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 12:12
    Mankind is a sucker for intolerance.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 12:191 edit
    ....or subtle problems, such as greed and gluttony?
    I think you would find that gluttony is frowned upon much more by people who have never had a weight problem and drunkenness by those who never drink. Its a case of 'I would never do that' being worse than 'I've done that before' or 'that might have been me'.

I also think that an aversion to homosexuality is a deep rooted psychological thing that is a result of evolution making sure we reproduce.
  6. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 12:50
    There's been much research lately showing that homosexuality is not a choice, that it's biological. I'm mentioning this because it's the only 'scourge' here that doesn't actually hurt oneself or other people. Drunkeness, greed, and gluttony definitely are detrimental to oneself and others. What two adults do together by themselves is their business, I believe.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 12:551 edit
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    There's been much research lately showing that homosexuality is not a choice, that it's biological.
    I too think it is mostly biological. However I was not talking about homosexuality but homophobia which I believe is also, in part, biological. However I believe that a reasoning person can overcome it.

I'm mentioning this because it's the only 'scourge' here that doesn't actually hurt oneself or other people. Drunkeness, greed, and gluttony definitely are detrimental to oneself and others. What two adults do together by themselves is their business, I believe.
    But the Christians in question are not judging sins based on whether they hurt anyone but on whether their beliefs say they are sins and also to what degree their beliefs 'frown upon' them. The Bible I believe is quite outspoken against homosexuality and far less so about drunkenness and gluttony. God never wiped out any cities due to the gluttony of the residents.
  8. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 16:59
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    Mankind is a sucker for intolerance.
    Intolerance is not the issue. God is intolerant of All sin. I believe the real issue is that some fellow Christians can not see past someone's sin; homosexual, drunkard, Adulterous, etc. We must love everyone like ourselves. We must not condone what they do, but we must love them and show compassion, like God does.

(Jesus speaks to the Woman at the Well)
    John 4:1-42 (Not only was she an adulterous, but she was an outcast, Samaritan. Jews wouldn't speak to Samaritans. Even Jesus' closest followers didn't know why He was speaking with her. Some things never change.) also read John8:1-12

(Jesus heals/touches a man with Leprosy)
    Mark 1:40-42
    Lepers were outcast as well. They had a medical condition that caused lesions and sores on the body. This disease was very contagious. So, society would shun the lepers in fear of getting the disease themselves.(Sounds pretty similiar to AIDS, doesn't it?)

Romans 3:23-24
    "For all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God," "and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Jesus Christ"

2 Peter 3:9
    "...he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."

Just my two cents... God Bless

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree