1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 May '05 22:22
    Does anybody believe in all that Bible Code crap, or do you all acknowledge that it's nothing more than fun with numbers?
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    27 May '05 22:54
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Does anybody believe in all that Bible Code crap, or do you all acknowledge that it's nothing more than fun with numbers?
    When I worked at a bank, one of these wackos would come in. He would buy rolls and rolls of dimes. Then write very simple histograms of his results.
    "Wow! Look. There's a 1933 dime in here. This could not happen by mere chance!"

Anyway, one time I made the mistake of asking what he was up to. Come to find out he was writing some book about how Bush would not get elected in 2004. It was based on taking the alpha-numeric sum of "AMERICA," concatenating 13 with 50 (original colonies and current states), adding these numbers, and then something else. Anyway it ended up with a number corresponding to a president who had lost his bid for re-election in the past. The motivation for the book was to prove that God existed. Seems like something Darfius would cook up.

Well, needless to say, he got pretty upset with me when I asked him, "Why 1350 and not 5013?"
    "Because the 13 colonies came before the 50 states. Geez."

The man was a genius. I have to admit that. Too bad he was wrong.
  3. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    27 May '05 23:041 edit
    I bet you could take the works of Shakespeare and get similar results.

I heard Hebrew used letters to represent numbers. But that's true of Greek also.

Did anyone see the move Pi?
  4. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    27 May '05 23:11
    Originally posted by Coletti

I heard Hebrew used letters to represent numbers. But that's true of Greek also.

Yes. It was terrible; I am taught by working mathematicians and know a few of them quite well -- to portray practitioners of an entire field of study in that way was pandering to silly perceptions. The presentation of mathematics was silly too. The only things that saved the film were the character of Saul, the playing of Go and Clint Mansell's contributions to the soundtrack.
  5. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    27 May '05 23:16
    dit dit dit dah dah dah dit dit dit
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    27 May '05 23:59
    Originally posted by Coletti

Yeah, I saw it. I wish we could solve nonlinear dynamic systems with extreme sensitivities to initial conditions on one of those IBM computers. 🙂

I like the film, but Aronofsky's second major work, "Requiem for a Dream" was far better.
  7. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    28 May '05 03:15
    The guy who wrote "The Bible Code" Said that he would believe it is not true when he saw the assasination of JF Kenedy encoded in Moby Dick. This one guy found it, as well as "The Demise of Michael Drosnin" (the author of the Bible code).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree