1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 May '17 10:021 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps Christianity is indeed a way of accessing God. But perhaps Christianity telling itself it's the only way to access God is an error of presumption and overreach in its founding literature.
    IF God really did come down to earth as a man and die on a cross, I'll go out on a limb here and say that that man is the only way to God.

Otherwise, why do it?

Paul is adamant that if the resurrection did not happen, then their faith is in vain. That would mean Christian would not have hope for salvation otherwise. And it also makes since. Was death defeated? It's a yes or no question.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '17 10:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    IF God really did come down to earth as a man and die on a cross, I'll go out on a limb here and say that that man is the only way to God.

Otherwise, why do it?
    And the consequence of that belief for those who have not heard the gospel is...?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 May '17 10:05
    Originally posted by divegeester
    And the consequence of that belief for those who have not heard the gospel is...?
    I am no ones judge here. That is for God and him alone. What I will tell you is, any hope any of us have is in the resurrection of Jesus Christ. That includes those who had died before Jesus lived.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 10:07

Otherwise, why do it?
    Well, in the spirit of your-accept-everything-you-believe-as-being-true 'thought exercise', I could simply go out on a limb and say "Why not?"

Alternatively, in the spirit of the comment of mine that you were responding to, perhaps the notion that Jesus was actually God, as opposed to a holy man with insights into God to offer the society he lived in, is another error of presumption and overreach in Christianity's founding literature.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 10:14
    Paul is adamant that if the resurrection did not happen, then their faith is in vain. That would mean Christian would not have hope for salvation otherwise. And it also makes since. Was death defeated? It's a yes or no question.
    Well the Christian approach to God is that death was defeated. So maybe God is content for those people to approach and access Him by way of that theology. Maybe God has revealed other avenues of "salvation" or made other promises in other cultural contexts and at other times in history.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 May '17 12:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    Just to be clear: that DOES or DOES NOT, in your view, include Rajk999?
    Oh yeah .. maybe I should have asked first if I qualify 🙂
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 12:14
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Oh yeah .. maybe I should have asked first if I qualify 🙂
    Gatecrashing has a long and noble history!
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 May '17 12:15
    Specifically Romans 2:12?
    More like Romans 2:11-16.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 May '17 12:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    Gatecrashing has a long and noble history!
    For sure 😀... but sometimes it could be embarrassing.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 May '17 12:53
    I would say that Christians whose knowledge of the Bible is skimpy then they are likely to think that all other religions are doomed and we see a lot of that kind of sentiment around here.

A fuller knowledge of what the Bible says helps to moderate this extreme view. Such as:

1 God blessed the descendants of Ismael just like he did Issac from whose line came Jesus Christ. From Ismael came a whole host of nations.

2. These wise men who came to see Jesus must have been from other nations. So God was in communication with others [not just Jews] on the birth of his Son Jesus Christ. And it is certain that that line of communication did not stop.

3. The Bible says that the gospel was preached all over the world. It is likely that Jesus appeared to many other Apostles, just like he did appear to Paul and sent them all over the world. Paul was sent to the area around the Mediterranean Sea and what we have in the bible are Pauls teachings to this specific area.

4. There is a period of about 18 years that has no Bible record of what Jesus did. John did say that if books were written of all that Jesus said and did then the world would not be able to contain these books. Surely Jesus traveled and preached in many many other places and not just in Israel.

5. The Gospel preached by Jesus says very little about believing in HIM personally but in believing in his teachings and following His teachings and commandments. According to Christ this obedience to his commandments gives entry into the Kingdom of God.

6. Romans 2. Those without law will still be judged as their conscience is their guide.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 May '17 13:23
    Specifically Romans 2:12?
    Or, maybe, in his case, Romans 2:21.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 May '17 13:24
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    More like Romans 2:11-16.
    And what about Romans 2:17-24? Ever get that far?
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 May '17 00:36
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    There is probably a Hindu discussion forum out there where someone has just pondered about the millions of Christians who will die without having read the Vedas.
    No doubt there are some idiotic Hindus like that, but in general, that's not how (I think ) they view it.
    Jesus has been acknowledged as a Boddhisatva by some important Hindu guru.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 May '17 00:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    Especially after all the Christians here stopped reading them when Dasa disappeared.
    That guy showed the exact opposite of Hindu values as far as I'm concerned. He seemed to want to separate people rather than bring them together.
    Bringing people together without indoctrinating them is a wise thing to do at any level. (As long as their values are not based on violence)
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 May '17 00:42
    Yes I am interested in the opinions of non Christians, but specifically of Christians in respect of people dying without hearing the gospel and what happens to them.
    Yep, I'm interested in Christian views on this too. Good question to mull over for them

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree