1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Nov '14 22:56
    YouTube

Written by Bob Franke and this version pays homage to John McCutcheon who did the very best version but this one ranks up there with John's version too! If you have to listen to religious kind of songs, this is one of the best!
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Nov '14 11:58
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmDhSweDBZU

Written by Bob Franke and this version pays homage to John McCutcheon who did the very best version but this one ranks up there with John's version too! If you have to listen to religious kind of songs, this is one of the best!
    You really should listen to this song.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Nov '14 13:47
    You really should listen to this song.
    I did. Pretty good.

Why do you think we should "really listen to this song"?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Nov '14 14:181 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    I did. Pretty good.

Why do you think we should "really listen to this song"?
    It combines beautiful lyrics and music and you should appreciate the religious overtones.

There needs to be more songs like this if you want to win over an audience. I personally hate religious songs that go something like 'jesus is my everything' and the like.

BTW, that song was written for Bob's little girl who was frightened by a real storm and that song came out of that.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 11:53
    It combines beautiful lyrics and music and you should appreciate the religious overtones.

There needs to be more songs like this if you want to win over an audience. I personally hate religious songs that go something like 'jesus is my everything' and the like.

BTW, that song was written for Bob's little girl who was frightened by a real storm and that song came out of that.
    Try on this one if you please.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bEE5MvoT3oI
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 12:51
    Try on this one if you please.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bEE5MvoT3oI
    Nice song if you like overt religious themes, and I rather think you do๐Ÿ™‚ Good voice, a bit thin for my taste though.

By what I mean by thin voice, listen to this Bonnie Raitt song written by Richard Thompson ="Dimming of the day" totally non religious song, but it gives me goosebumps from the power of her voice and that song:

YouTube
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 13:02
    Nice song if you like overt religious themes, and I rather think you do๐Ÿ™‚ Good voice, a bit thin for my taste though.

By what I mean by thin voice, listen to this Bonnie Raitt song written by Richard Thompson ="Dimming of the day" totally non religious song, but it gives me goosebumps from the power of her voice and that song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o8M74ufF4Q
    I keep getting an "error occurred during validation".

Is the link correct?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 13:19
    I keep getting an "error occurred during validation".

Is the link correct?
    I clicked on it and it came right up. Don't know what that means. Maybe try on another computer? laptop, smartfone?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 23:02
    I clicked on it and it came right up. Don't know what that means. Maybe try on another computer? laptop, smartfone?
    My iPad. Worked this time. Not bad, but it's too sappy for me. But then that's just me.

Your taste in music is much broader and deeper than mine. I know because I read something you said in another forum about your collection. Impressive.

I picked up a guitar once with the intention of learning how to play it, but that was as an adult and I just didn't have the time to do it justice. I can still play those three chords though, but no music. ๐Ÿ™

It's hilarious, but my mom tried to get me to play the trumpet when I was around 12. She was into Herb Albert. Probably a good thing I didn't get a guitar. That was in the early 60's. If I had learned to play then, and was any good at it, I have no doubt it would have led to a life of hell and probably a drug overdose. As it was I barely escaped the 70's with my life. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 23:161 edit
    My iPad. Worked this time. Not bad, but it's too sappy for me. But then that's just me.

Your taste in music is much broader and deeper than mine. I know because I read something you said in another forum about your collection. Impressive.

I picked up a guitar once with the intention of learning how to play it, but that was as an adult and I just didn' ...[text shortened]... life of hell and probably a drug overdose. As it was I barely escaped the 70's with my life. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Didn't we all๐Ÿ™‚ I had these three wild years in Thailand๐Ÿ™‚ I remember taking acid once (something I did very seldom, thankfully) and being on the roof of the King Thai hotel in Bangkok, watching the sunrise starting at 8 PM๐Ÿ™‚

BTW, there is an earlier version of that song, sung by Richard and his then wife Linda, strictly acoustic, just her and him, it still plays well. I have heard that song described as the best love song a woman can sing!
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 23:26
    Didn't we all๐Ÿ™‚ I had these three wild years in Thailand๐Ÿ™‚ I remember taking acid once (something I did very seldom, thankfully) and being on the roof of the King Thai hotel in Bangkok, watching the sunrise starting at 8 PM๐Ÿ™‚
    Ya, me too. Not Thailand, but a dozen places in country north, south, east and west. From key west to Los Angeles to Milwaukee to New London. Fast cars and all the rest.

It was a blast, but too much time and money wasted. I wouldn't do it the same way again either. Too much love lost. Bitter sweet.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 23:28
    How do you like that? We got our own little thread going here and getting along just fine! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜‰
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Nov '14 00:271 edit
    How do you like that? We got our own little thread going here and getting along just fine! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜‰
    You are NOT RJ๐Ÿ™‚ One thing the 70's taught me about drugs: I met this guy, a nice guy really, I rented an RV from him for a family vacation, another story, but one day he let me have a line of coke.

Well, living in Venice beach, I started riding my bicycle on the bike path, like totally high and re-inventing the world๐Ÿ™‚

So a couple of weeks later, the same dude let me sniff another line from the same batch.

This time I was high ok but not as much as the first time.

So a couple of weeks after that, he let me have a third sniff of the same batch.

This time the high was a lot lower.

I realized from that experience why people getting high on coke would then just snort more and more to try to get back that first incredible high but clearly they never would and so they get hooked and start spending hundreds of dollars every week for the next attempt at that high, then progressing to theft to get the bucks, a total downwards spiral.

I saw all that even though I was barely 30 at the time and concluded there was no getting back to that original high and never tried it again.
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Nov '14 00:301 edit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmDhSweDBZU

Enjoyed it up to about 1.03 ... after that it became more and more meh
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Nov '14 04:241 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Enjoyed it up to about 1.03 ... after that it became more and more meh
    I mentioned John McCutcheon's version on a CD from quite a while ago, only one voice but with great instrumentation, he sang the definitive version. I only found him doing that song playing just an autoharp, nice but nothing like the studio version.
    Listen to this more recent song from him, quite nice: Room at the top of the stairs.
    YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree