1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 00:34
    Originally posted by amannion
    True, I was born in a nice place and don't want for anything, but I actually meant in a much deeper way - the magnificence of human life.
    I'm trying to find a response.

I'm all for the pursuit of excellence in living. Being all that we can be. I believe we can achieve magnificence.

But I start from a different premise. I believe we can be what we are created to be, and that is like God. I know that sounds weird to you. But it is based on Biblical truths.

This can get complicated.

This post is off the cuff. It needs refining. So please don't take exception too much.
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 00:401 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Axctually I believe there are 60 000 000 possible different postions on a chess board. So its not infinite🙂
    Well ok, there are a finite number of distinct positions, snapshots of any particular state if you will; the ways in which these snapshots can evolve into others however is still infinite in theory (for a trivial example, taking care not to induce a draw both sides could for all intents and purposes perform maneuvers which serve only to shuffle their main pieces back and forth, and maintain this procedure ad infinitum)
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 01:581 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Well ok, there are a finite number of distinct positions, snapshots of any particular state if you will; the ways in which these snapshots can evolve into others however is still infinite in theory (for a trivial example, taking care not to induce a draw both sides could for all intents and purposes perform maneuvers which serve only to shuffle their main pieces back and forth, and maintain this procedure ad infinitum)
    sure🙂
    For all intensive purposes there are infinate moves.
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 04:58
    Originally posted by josephw
    I'm trying to find a response.

I'm all for the pursuit of excellence in living. Being all that we can be. I believe we can achieve magnificence.

But I start from a different premise. I believe we can be what we are created to be, and that is like God. I know that sounds weird to you. But it is based on Biblical truths.

This can get complicated.

This post is off the cuff. It needs refining. So please don't take exception too much.
    No exception taken.
    But of course, you must surely accept that what are 'truths' to you are just words in a book to me.
    I don't believe we were created to be anything - we just are. We have to create our own purposes for our lives and for our existence - not have one imposed on us from some hirsute dud in the sky.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 18:47
    Originally posted by amannion
    No exception taken.
    But of course, you must surely accept that what are 'truths' to you are just words in a book to me.
    I don't believe we were created to be anything - we just are. We have to create our own purposes for our lives and for our existence - not have one imposed on us from some hirsute dud in the sky.
    Is the offer of eternal life an imposition?

Of course we build our own lives. But on what foundation of truth?

Humanism? Secularism? One can do so and live a good life. But that's not all that's at stake.

If it gives you peace of mind to believe there is no God, how much more peace of mind would you have if you knew you would live forever?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree