1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Aug '13 11:30
    Originally posted by Penguin
    I think you need to speak to you dealer: he's giving you the wrong drugs.

Once you are able to write a coherent sentence again, try responding to my point.

Just to remind you, in case your memory has also been addled, I suggested two further options beyond the two options in the OP, both of which should be possible in the hypothetical situation described by the OP.

--- Penguin.

--- Penguin.
    Thanks for our conversation. I do hope that one day we may meet,
    play some chess and enjoy a leisurely dinner with fine wine. Bob
  2. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '13 11:58
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Love to. If I am ever in the Boston area, I will get in touch. If you are ever in the south west of England, please do likewise.

In the meantime, do you have anything that makes my two options invalid? If not then I think you need to admit that your OP is not supportable. Maybe you need to rephrase it.

--- Penguin
  3. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '13 07:391 edit
    Love to. If I am ever in the Boston area, I will get in touch. If you are ever in the south west of England, please do likewise.

In the meantime, do you have anything that makes my two options invalid? If not then I think you need to admit that your OP is not supportable. Maybe you need to rephrase it.

--- Penguin
    I think I will give it another couple of days before I claim silence as an acceptance that the question in the OP has been successfully answered 'No'.

--- Penguin.
  4. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 21:213 edits
    I think I will give it another couple of days before I claim silence as an acceptance that the question in the OP has been successfully answered 'No'.

--- Penguin.
    I think I can claim this one...

Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject], it is reasonable to expect eternal separation,temporary separation or multiple periods of separation and relationship as the only viable alternatives.

Obviously, such a being, due to its power compared to us, would be perfectly capable.of restricting the alternatives it actually offers. But this in no way restricts the viable alternatives that could be offered in the original hypothetical situation.

Penguin.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 04:331 edit

[i]Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject], it is reasonable to expect eternal separation[b],temporary ...[text shortened]... viable alternatives that could be offered in the original hypothetical situation.

Penguin.
    "an ancient dilemma..."

"Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject], isn't it reasonable to expect eternal separation as the only viable alternative? Your comments." (OP)

Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject], it is reasonable to expect eternal separation,temporary separation or multiple periods of separation and relationship as the only viable alternatives.

Obviously, such a being, due to its power compared to us, would be perfectly capable.of restricting the alternatives it actually offers. But this in no way restricts the viable alternatives that could be offered in the original hypothetical situation." Penguin.

"it is reasonable to expect eternal separation, temporary separation or multiple periods of separation and relationship as the only viable alternatives.": Substitutes a declarative statement and introduces qualifiers to the original post's interrogative.
  6. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 16:09
    [b]"an ancient dilemma..."

"Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject], isn't it reasonable to expect eternal separation as t ...[text shortened]... clarative statement and introduces qualifiers to the original post's interrogative.
    yes, I rephrased the original question as a statement that included the other two possibilities. I can rephrase it as a question if you like (although it's quite possible that I have already done this)

"Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject], isn't it reasonable to expect eternal separation temporary separation or multiple periods of separation and relationship as the only viable alternatives?

There. Happy now?

--- Penguin
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 19:141 edit
    yes, I rephrased the original question as a statement that included the other two possibilities. I can rephrase it as a question if you like (although it's quite possible that I have already done this)

"Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the ionship[/i] as the only viable alternatives?

There. Happy now?

--- Penguin[/b]
    Hi, Penguin. Of course I'm happy; don't you, too, believe in bringing your own happiness with you wherever you go rather than depend on other people, pleasant circumstances or other forms of external stimulation which doesn't last?

" isn't it reasonable to expect eternal separation temporary separation or multiple periods of separation and relationship as the only viable alternatives?" (Penguin Revision)

"isn't it reasonable to expect eternal separation; temporary separation; or multiple periods of separation and relationship as the only viable alternatives?": the slight insertion of either commas or semi colons to postulate a series of possibilities actually improves the original post. Both "temporary" and "multiple periods of separation and active relationship" would, then, relate to the temporal interim of human life. After which, eternal separation from "an alive and powerful, eternal entity who [/which] has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject]" would by definition encompass/become that individual's immaterial self's eternal destiny. -Bob
  8. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 22:14
    Hi, Penguin. Of course I'm happy; don't you, too, believe in bringing your own happiness with you wherever you go rather than depend on other people, pleasant circumstances or other forms of external stimulation which doesn't last?

" isn't it reasonable to expect eternal separation temporary separation or multiple periods of separation and relationsh ...[text shortened]... tion encompass/become that individual's immaterial self's eternal destiny. -Bob
    Yes, apologies, my punctuation was not perfect and commas or semi-colons would have improved the legibility. I believe you have put them in the correct locations, many thanks.

However, my version of the hypothetical was no more tied to our 'human life' than your original. It applies just as much to the afterlife, if such a thing exists.

Glad to hear that you are happy.

--- Penguin
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '13 23:03
    Yes, apologies, my punctuation was not perfect and commas or semi-colons would have improved the legibility. I believe you have put them in the correct locations, many thanks.

However, my version of the hypothetical was no more tied to our 'human life' than your original. It applies just as much to the afterlife, if such a thing exists.

Glad to hear that you are happy.

--- Penguin

We still good?
  10. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 23:25

We still good?
    We most certainly are still good. I suspect you would thrash me at chess but if we are ever in the same place I would definitely meet up for a game and some friendly existential/theological argument.

---- Penguin
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 03:18
    We most certainly are still good. I suspect you would thrash me at chess but if we are ever in the same place I would definitely meet up for a game and some friendly existential/theological argument.

---- Penguin
    Let's make our global rendezvous happen in part with a friendly conversational game now. May I send an invite your way?
  12. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 10:03
    Let's make our global rendezvous happen in part with a friendly conversational game now. May I send an invite your way?
    Yeah, certainly. I must warn you though that I have probably played fewer than 30 games of chess in my 44 years. I am not going be a challenge!

--- Penguin
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 20:35
    Yeah, certainly. I must warn you though that I have probably played fewer than 30 games of chess in my 44 years. I am not going be a challenge!

--- Penguin
    How about Saturday, September 21, the Official Julian Calendar End of Summer
    as the auspicious date for the beginning of our Red Hot Pawn Chess Game(s)?
  14. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 21:44
    How about Saturday, September 21, the Official Julian Calendar End of Summer
    as the auspicious date for the beginning of our Red Hot Pawn Chess Game(s)?
    Are you sure you want to bother? I am well below your standard. I tried to challenge you but am not a high enough level. If you want a friendly game, just send an invite. I tend to move every few days.

Penguin
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 22:02
    Are you sure you want to bother? I am well below your standard. I tried to challenge you but am not a high enough level. If you want a friendly game, just send an invite. I tend to move every few days.

Penguin
    Chess per se is the least of my motivation; relaxed, unrated conversational chess is what's mattered to me since April 12, 2012, when I returned from a 16 month near partial paralysis/near death medical recovery and rehab sabbatical. Game on.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree