1. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    25 Jul '14 02:23
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]An Open Invitation to Answer One Question

Atheists, Agnostics, Theists, Believers in Christ: what is the single Biggest Lie that's ever been told in the spiritual realm?[/b]
    That there are 72 virgins waiting all hot and bothered for Muslims who slay non-Muslims.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jul '14 02:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is the OP asking for us to pick some or other character from the literature of one of the religions and comment on a big "lie" that they told?
    You decide.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jul '14 02:41
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    An Open Invitation to Answer One Question

Atheists, Agnostics, Theists, Believers in Christ: what is the single Biggest Lie that's ever been told in the spiritual realm?

Originally posted by Rajk999
    That someone just has to say with his mouth 'I believe in Christ', continue to do as he pleases, sin, live a selfish worldly life and then waltz into Gods Kingdom... LIE!

God will kick his good-for-nothing bony ass out of His Kingdom. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. .. TRUTH.

Originally posted by karoly aczel
    In "the spiritual realm"?

One view says there is no way of lying in the "spiritual realm"

Originally posted by sonhouse
    Don't you mean ABOUT the spiritual realm?

"... in [and/or about] the spiritual realm?"

Originally posted by HandyAndy
    The Book of Revelation

Originally posted by stellspalfie
    god is love

Originally posted by DeepThought
    Akhenaten's attempt to make Aten the one god over Egypt. That kind of religious rewrite's been attempted since but this is the first known (at least to me) instance in history (ca. 1350 BC).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhenaten

Originally posted by josephw
    "There is no God"

Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You hoping to make the top ten?

Originally posted by Pudgenik
    Many beileve that Satan is your friend. He is not!!!

Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Eat and you shall be like God.

Originally posted by RJHinds
    I will be like the most high God. - Lucifer, a.k.a. Satan the Devil

Ambition or lie?

Originally posted by FMF
    Is the OP asking for us to pick some or other character from the literature of one of the religions and comment on a big "lie" that they told?

You decide.

Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    That there are 72 virgins waiting all hot and bothered for Muslims who slay non-Muslims.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    25 Jul '14 03:06
    "That a deity who is in charge of this flawed world ought to be worshiped" is the answer to GB's question that former nun Barbara Smoker seems to give in this brief biographical sketch.

http://freethinker.co.uk/2014/07/24/my-path-from-rome/
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '14 03:091 edit
    You decide.
    I think the concept that immortality can somehow be turned into reality, through sheer thought or belief or hope or emotionalism or as a result of psychological bullying, is the biggest instance of wishful thinking (or perhaps we could say self-deception) that I can think of and it happens across several religions. But I would not exactly describe it as a "lie" because countless people are clearly sincere in their belief in immortality.

As for one character in a folk tale lying to another about some supposed spiritual or supernatural matter, I am not sure this matters much except to the people who happen to subscribe to the religious literature in question.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jul '14 06:10

Atheists, Agnostics, Theists, Believers in Christ: what is the single Biggest Lie that's ever been told in the spiritual realm?[/b]
    The claim by the Zhou Dynasty that they had the 'mandate of heaven'.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '14 06:15

You surely will not die.
  8. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    25 Jul '14 14:04

People who claim that they have knowledge of "a spiritual realm," a "realm" that they cannot even demonstrate is in existence.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jul '14 20:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    So many lies, so little time.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Jul '14 02:271 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby[/i]
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)- Replies: Summary 2.

Atheists, Agnostics, Theists, Believers in Christ: what is the single Biggest Lie that's ever been told in the spiritual realm?

Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    "That a deity who is in charge of this flawed world ought to be worshiped" is the answer to GB's question that former nun Barbara Smoker seems to give in this brief biographical sketch.

http://freethinker.co.uk/2014/07/24/my-path-from-rome/

Originally posted by FMF
    I think the concept that immortality can somehow be turned into reality, through sheer thought or belief or hope or emotionalism or as a result of psychological bullying, is the biggest instance of wishful thinking (or perhaps we could say self-deception) that I can think of and it happens across several religions. But I would not exactly describe it as a "lie" because countless people are clearly sincere in their belief in immortality.

As for one character in a folk tale lying to another about some supposed spiritual or supernatural matter, I am not sure this matters much except to the people who happen to subscribe to the religious literature in question.

Originally posted by twhitehead
    The claim by the Zhou Dynasty that they had the 'mandate of heaven'.

Originally posted by divegeester
    You surely will not die.

Originally posted by PatNovak
    People who claim that they have knowledge of "a spiritual realm," a "realm" that they cannot even demonstrate is in existence.

11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '14 02:37
    I think you are using the world "lie" in a way that undermines its useful meaning and application.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jul '14 01:534 edits

Genesis 3:1 "Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from [fn]any tree of the garden’?” 3:2 The woman said to the serpent, “From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat; 3:3 but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.’” 3:4 The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die! 3:5 [spiritual death] “For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” 3:6 When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate. 3:7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves [fn]loin coverings.

3:8 They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the [fn]cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 3:9 Then the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?” 3:10 He said, “I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid myself.” 3:11 And He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” 3:12 The man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate.” 3:13 Then the LORD God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” And the woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.” "Footnotes (3:1) Or, every (3:7) Or, girdles (3:8) Literally: wind, breeze" New American Standard Bible https://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Gen&c=3&t=NASB

Atheists, Agnostics, Theists and Believers in Christ the single Biggest Lie that's ever been told in the spiritual realm was told by Lucifer in the clever guise of the first woman's household pet in The Garden; that lie was that the Sovereign God of the Universe does not possess the divine attributes of righteousness and veracity by convincing the first woman that God lied.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jul '14 02:141 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You surely will not die.
    Thank you. Spiritual death [separation from God] was the consequence of Adam's decision to disobey God's one prohibition.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 22:02
    Thank you. Spiritual death [separation from God] was the consequence of Adam's decision to disobey God's one prohibition.
    Please remember that "Spiritual death" as you term it, is not eternal life in a burning hell.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 22:40

"... has God said?"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree