1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 22:461 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]An Open Invitation to Answer One Question

Atheists, Agnostics, Theists, Believers in Christ: what is the single Biggest Lie that's ever been told in the spiritual realm?[/b]
    that any instantiation of "G"od, hypothetically or otherwise, would be unable to lieReveal Hidden Content
    since there is no reason why a god absolutely cannot be lying if it said it cannot lie
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 23:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think you are using the world "lie" in a way that undermines its useful meaning and application.
    I was thinking about all the bogus bible stories like the world wide flood, like the 6 day creation story, like the virgin birth, like so many other tall tales.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Jul '14 23:50
    Originally posted by Agerg
    that any instantiation of "G"od, hypothetically or otherwise, would be unable to lie[hidden]since there is no reason why a god absolutely cannot be lying if it said it cannot lie[/hidden]
    If God is the creator and God created the Universe with his word, then it is not so much that God cannot lie but that the Universe would change to incorporate God's new word.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Jul '14 03:54
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    If God is the creator and God created the Universe with his word, then it is not so much that God cannot lie but that the Universe would change to incorporate God's new word.
    Like the new covenant?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '14 04:15
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I was thinking about all the bogus bible stories like the world wide flood, like the 6 day creation story, like the virgin birth, like so many other tall tales.
    I think almost all those who sincerely believe in these stories impart them in good faith. I think you are stretching the meaning of "lie" to cover stuff that is not 'with intent to deceive knowingly'. Calling them "tall tales" or mythological or apocryphal ~ or whatever ~ is one thing, but suggesting that those who subscribe to them are telling "lies" is you rather wandering into Dasa's rhetorical and vocabulary-mangling territory ~ which is not your intention, I am sure.
  6. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 14:091 edit

Atheists, Agnostics, Theists, Believers in Christ: what is the single Biggest Lie that's ever been told in the spiritual realm?[/b]
    The YEC's absurd view that the world is only 6,500 years old. People who spout this moronic gibberish know it's a lie, but they have lost the power of rational thought. In my view it's not only extremely stupid, but dangerous to warp young children's minds with this patent nonsense. This comes under the "spiritual realm" because it is hot-wired into the specious thinking of the YEC's inability to understand the Holy Bible.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 23:29
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    The YEC's absurd view that the world is only 6,500 years old. People who spout this moronic gibberish know it's a lie, but they have lost the power of rational thought. In my view it's not only extremely stupid, but dangerous to warp young children's minds with this patent nonsense. This comes under the "spiritual realm" because it is hot-wired into the specious thinking of the YEC's inability to understand the Holy Bible.
    I couldn't have said it better myself, and I have tried.
  8. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 15:47
    I couldn't have said it better myself, and I have tried.
    Thank you.
    🙂
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 16:09
    The YEC's absurd view that the world is only 6,500 years old. People who spout this moronic gibberish know it's a lie...
    I don't think this sweeping statement is true. I have met plenty of people for whom it is a sincere and firmly held belief.
  10. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 16:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't think this sweeping statement is true. I have met plenty of people for whom it is a sincere and firmly held belief.
    I must come clean - I have never come across a YEC (they are rare here in UK), so my statements are, as you say, "sweeping". I simply cannot conceive of holding a "sincere and firmly help belief" that flies against the revelations of science!
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 01:41
    I must come clean - I have never come across a YEC (they are rare here in UK), so my statements are, as you say, "sweeping". I simply cannot conceive of holding a "sincere and firmly help belief" that flies against the revelations of science!
    But yet, here they are. The moon was cooled down with water, the world wide flood was real, the world is 6000 years old. Ask RJHinds. He'll tell you all about it, in complete sincerity.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 01:49
    But yet, here they are. The moon was cooled down with water, the world wide flood was real, the world is 6000 years old. Ask RJHinds. He'll tell you all about it, in complete sincerity.
    They can't believe it "in complete sincerity" AND "know it's a lie" at the same time. I reckon there is misunderstanding here about what "sincerity" means when it comes to beliefs, and also a rather glaring misuse of the word "lie".
  13. Joined
    18 Nov '13
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 05:031 edit

God convincing Abraham that he wanted him to sacrifice his own son.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 13:36
    aOriginally posted by FMF
    They can't believe it "in complete sincerity" AND "know it's a lie" at the same time. I reckon there is misunderstanding here about what "sincerity" means when it comes to beliefs, and also a rather glaring misuse of the word "lie".
    I didn't use the word 'lie'. I have no doubt they sincerely believe their BS, just like any conspiracy theorist. YEC's fully believe the reason they don't have peer reviewed research papers in reputable science rags is this vast atheistic conspiracy with the evil agenda to destroy christianity.

I would join such a conspiracy if it exists, but I want more.

I want to rid the entire planet of the scurge of religion, ALL religions. I think it is holding back the true maturity of the human race.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree