1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 08:41
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It doesn't make me angry at all; does me not believing you make you angry?
    Not at all sir. With your previous befuddlement about 'altruism' it doesn't surprise me at all that you have a unique understanding of 'anger.'

So, just to clarify, it's not possible for someone to be genuinely altruistic or have a character with no evidence of anger?
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 08:43
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I think your disposition to be able to control your anger,( or is it true that your are almost entirley devoid of it? ), is a great help in your chosen profession. Do they throw some "hard" cases your way because of this?
    Yes. 🙂
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 09:24
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Not at all sir. With your previous befuddlement about 'altruism' it doesn't surprise me at all that you have a unique understanding of 'anger.'

So, just to clarify, it's not possible for someone to be genuinely altruistic or have a character with no evidence of anger?
    Why are you bringing altruism into this?

You didn't say that your character had no "evidence" of anger, what you claimed was that you "lack this emotion".

I claim that you do not.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 14:36
    Why are you bringing altruism into this?

You didn't say that your character had no "evidence" of anger, what you claimed was that you "lack this emotion".

I claim that you do not.
    Your claim is duly rejected sir. Of the two of us, I know myself best. - And yes, to be clear, I claim that I lack the emotion of anger (as a result of which there is no evidence of such an emotion in my Earthly existence).

I raised 'altruism' as it is curious you react strongly to the idea of somebody being both 'genuinely altruistic' and 'lacking the emotion of anger.' You would make for an interesting case study.

My counter claim is that you not wanting to believe in altruism or the possibility of living without anger says more about yourself than it does anybody else and an inner fear perhaps of putting your own character under the microscope.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 16:06
    It doesn't make me angry at all; does me not believing you make you angry?
    I'll be angry if you'll be angry.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 18:372 edits
    Your claim is duly rejected sir. Of the two of us, I know myself best. - And yes, to be clear, I claim that I lack the emotion of anger (as a result of which there is no evidence of such an emotion in my Earthly existence).

I raised 'altruism' as it is curious you react strongly to the idea of somebody being both 'genuinely altruistic' and 'lackin ...[text shortened]... does anybody else and an inner fear perhaps of putting your own character under the microscope.
    I'm not the one putting myself under the microscope, you have chosen to do so to yourself, and if you are uncomfortable discussing and being challenged on it, which you clearly seem to be, then I politely suggest that you don't start silly threads claiming you lack an emotion which every other person in the human race has, and if you are honest you do too. It is this that I'm challenging.

Edit: PS I have no idea why you are bringing altruism into this.
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 19:37
    I'm not the one putting myself under the microscope, you have chosen to do so to yourself, and if you are uncomfortable discussing and being challenged on it, which you clearly seem to be, then I politely suggest that you don't start silly threads claiming you lack an emotion which every other person in the human race has, and if you are honest you do to ...[text shortened]... s this that I'm challenging.

Edit: PS I have no idea why you are bringing altruism into this.
    You really don't see the altruism comparison?! (Where you had an understanding of altruism that was contrary not only to the definition of the word as understood by other people, but also contrary to the dictionary definition).

In the 'dictionary of Dive' altruism meant something entirely different. I'm curious if 'anger' also has a different definition in 'your' dictionary, which might explain your disbelief that lacking such an emotion is possible. - In mine, anger is 'a strong feeling that makes you want to hurt someone or be unpleasant because of something unfair or unkind that has happened.' Cambridge dictionary). Under the standard understanding of anger, I can confidently assert that i lack this emotion. I have also made clear that this is not necessarily a good thing and at times has caused me problems.(I also suspect I know the cause, though not something i would wish to divulge in a forum).

It is also extremely weird that an atheist has to convince a Christian that it is possible to act altruistically and live a life void of anger. Surely we have that back to front?!

(On a serious note, I'm genuinely not alone when it comes to being unable to experience anger. Admittedly it is not commonplace, but even a brief google search will flag up people who can't experience anger and who instead present alternative emotions such as depression or anxiety as a coping mechanism).
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 19:57
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I feel you on this.

Some people have a sincere passion for life, and while it can be a good thing, often it becomes a millstone when uncontrolled.

My control used to be physical exertion, and this has kept me fit and results in fewer medical problems. Martial arts has taken the place of this for me recently, while also changing my external demeanor.

Ultimately, we do what we need to do to find harmony.
    Thanks for replying to my post. I didn't think anyone else even read it.

You make an interesting point. I don't know how valid it is, but maybe anger drove me to a physical exertion that has kept me healthy all my life. Never been to the doctor except for cuts, bruises and scrapes.

Live life dangerously. 😉
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 20:05
    Originally posted by josephw
    Thanks for replying to my post. I didn't think anyone else even read it.

You make an interesting point. I don't know how valid it is, but maybe anger drove me to a physical exertion that has kept me healthy all my life. Never been to the doctor except for cuts, bruises and scrapes.

Live life d[b]anger
    ously. 😉[/b]
    Well, this is how I see it.

Living life abundantly means that it is lived to the fullest. We are human, we have no choice but to live live as humans. It does not mean that we cannot control our lives, it means that we live a full life. And we only have one life, so it serves no one to waste it in fear.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 20:171 edit
    You really don't see the altruism comparison?! (Where you had an understanding of altruism that was contrary not only to the definition of the word as understood by other people, but also contrary to the dictionary definition).

In the 'dictionary of Dive' altruism meant something entirely different. I'm curious if 'anger' also has a different de ...[text shortened]... d who instead present alternative emotions such as depression or anxiety as a coping mechanism).
    Your thread is about you claiming to be incapable of being angry; I don't understand why you keep blathering on about altruism.

I'm calling you on this claim about being incapable of being angry; I think you are either deluded, lying, trolling or trying to position yourself as some sort of peace-at-heart guru. When in fact you are just not easily roused.

I'm not sorry that you object to this opinion but I am surprised.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 20:191 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]Thanks for replying to my post. I didn't think anyone else even read it./b]
    I read it.

I've asked you some questions about your claims about your drug life which are avoiding, so I'm not bothering so much with the stuff you want me to respond to.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 20:32
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke... anger is 'a strong feeling that makes you want to hurt someone or be unpleasant because of something unfair or unkind that has happened.' Cambridge dictionary).
    That is not a good definition, imo. Angry people don't necessarily desire to be unpleasant.

a strong feeling of displeasure and usually of antagonism merriam/webster
    a feeling of tension and hostility, usually caused by anxiety aroused by a perceived threat to one's self, possessions, rights, or values.
    A strong emotion aroused by a sense of wrong, whether justified or not. the FreeDictionary

And so on. Anger is a feeling that you need to defend yourself, now. Controlling your anger is a good thing, but being unable to feel it ever at all is a weakness - a malfunction. It should have a name.

Suggestion for a name for the pathological inability to feel the basic emotion of anger, culled from StackExchange:

serenity
    Imperturbable
    Apathy
    Defeatism
    Resignation
    Passivity
    Complacency
    alexithymia
    non-irascible
    aorgesia
    numb
    Emotional detachment (inability to connect)
    emotional numbing
    unirascible
    Wrathless
    Unincensed
    Unspleened
    spleenless
    Angerless
    avirulent
    stomachless
    gall-less
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 21:01
    Your thread is about you claiming to be incapable of being angry; I don't understand why you keep blathering on about altruism.

I'm calling you on this claim about being incapable of being angry; I think you are either deluded, lying, trolling or trying to position yourself as some sort of peace-at-heart guru. When in fact you are just not easily roused.

I'm not sorry that you object to this opinion but I am surprised.
    Blimey, playing the deluded or lying card, hey? 🙄

But sure, I understand your reluctance to dig up the whole 'altruism not existing' thing that showed you up to be a bit of a plonker. (Twice you skulked away into the shadows with your tail between your legs).

I say that to you void of anger.
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 21:07
    Originally posted by apathist
    That is not a good definition, imo. Angry people don't necessarily desire to be unpleasant.

a strong feeling of displeasure and usually of antagonism merriam/webster
    a feeling of tension and hostility, usually caused by anxiety aroused by a perceived threat to one's self, possessions, rights, or values.
    A strong emotion aroused by a sense of wr ...[text shortened]... ble
    Wrathless
    Unincensed
    Unspleened
    spleenless
    Angerless
    avirulent
    stomachless
    gall-less
    Yes, the definition i gave wasn't exhaustive.

I like the term 'numb' in regards to the emotional block of experiencing anger. Personally I feel disengaged, like an outside observer looking in. (I may also be inclined to sulk and overthink things).

Not so keen on spleenless. 🙂
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 21:11
    Blimey, playing the deluded or lying card, hey? 🙄

But sure, I understand your reluctance to dig up the whole 'altruism not existing' thing that showed you up to be a bit of a plonker. (Twice you skulked away into the shadows with your tail between your legs).

I say that to you void of anger.
    Hey Mr Angry, you're the one claiming you are unique, not me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree