1. St. Peter's
    Joined
    06 Dec '10
    Moves
    11308
    26 Nov '14 20:48
    discredit Anselm's second proof from the Proslogion if you can:

    That God Cannot be Thought Not to Exist
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    26 Nov '14 20:53
    Originally posted by Doward
    discredit Anselm's second proof from the Proslogion if you can:

    That God Cannot be Thought Not to Exist
    Funny, I just THOUGHT the bible god doesn't exist. I guess that proves THAT statement wrong right there.
  3. St. Peter's
    Joined
    06 Dec '10
    Moves
    11308
    26 Nov '14 21:02
    fail!...next?
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    26 Nov '14 21:58
    Originally posted by Doward
    fail!...next?
    I agree that you fail ... next indeed!
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    26 Nov '14 22:41
    Originally posted by Doward
    discredit Anselm's second proof from the Proslogion if you can:

    That God Cannot be Thought Not to Exist
    It cannot be discredited and is cast-iron proof of the
    pinkest unicorn
    lightest fairy
    fattest father Christmas
    and
    the Perfection that is His Holiness The Flying Spaghetti Monster
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78567
    26 Nov '14 22:50
    Originally posted by Doward
    discredit Anselm's second proof from the Proslogion if you can:

    That God Cannot be Thought Not to Exist
    It would help if you repeated the argument. I looked it up on Wikipedia, but the page on Proslogion does not specify which the proof they've given is. The "proof" there is as follows:
    The argument (after Dr. Scott H. Moore's analysis)

    (1) One can imagine a being than which none greater can be conceived.
    (2) We know that existence in reality is greater than existence in the mind alone.
    (3) If the being we imagine exists only in our mind, then it is not a "being than which none greater can be conceived".
    (4) A being than which none greater can be conceived must also exist in reality.
    (5) Failure to exist in reality would be failure to be a being than which none greater can be conceived.
    (6) Thus a being than which none greater can be conceived must exist, and we call this being God.
    Is it this argument that you mean?

    If so then steps (4) and (5) are horrible.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    27 Nov '14 02:521 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    It would help if you repeated the argument. I looked it up on Wikipedia, but the page on Proslogion does not specify which the proof they've given is. The "proof" there is as follows:
    The argument (after Dr. Scott H. Moore's analysis)

    (1) One can imagine a being than which none greater can be conceived.
    (2) We know that existence ...[text shortened]... ing God.
    Is it this argument that you mean?

    If so then steps (4) and (5) are horrible.
    Indeed. Step for is a misstep. How is that supposed to follow? The answer is, it DOESN'T.
  8. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    320
    30 Nov '14 01:57
    Originally posted by Doward
    discredit Anselm's second proof from the Proslogion if you can:

    That God Cannot be Thought Not to Exist
    2 Timothy 2:23 says, "Further, reject foolish debates..."
    and Philippians 4:8 adds, "Finally, brothers, whatever things are true,......continue considering these things."
    Psalms 14:1 says, "The foolish one says in his heart: "There is no God."
    Hopefully, none are so foolish.
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    30 Nov '14 02:03
    Originally posted by roigam
    2 Timothy 2:23 says, "Further, reject foolish debates..."
    and Philippians 4:8 adds, "Finally, brothers, whatever things are true,......continue considering these things."
    Psalms 14:1 says, "The foolish one says in his heart: "There is no God."
    Hopefully, none are so foolish.
    These kinds of snippets of text can be used ~ perhaps ~ to urge or coerce conformity and compliance in a group or cult consisting of people who already hold Bible based beliefs, but they are of no relevance to people who do not subscribe to that particular literature. So your post is a variant of 'preaching to the choir'.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78567
    30 Nov '14 02:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    These kinds of snippets of text can be used ~ perhaps ~ to urge or coerce conformity and compliance in a group or cult consisting of people who already hold Bible based beliefs, but they are of no relevance to people who do not subscribe to that particular literature. So your post is a variant of 'preaching to the choir'.
    Since his reply was to Doward I rather assumed that that was to whom the advice was directed.
  11. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    30 Nov '14 02:20
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Since his reply was to Doward I rather assumed that that was to whom the advice was directed.
    I rather thought it was an ad hominem about being "foolish" rather than a genuine "reply" to the OP poster. But maybe you're right, maybe it's legitimate "advice". The question of what it actually is has been highlighted then. Good.
  12. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    30 Nov '14 02:45
    Originally posted by Doward
    discredit Anselm's second proof from the Proslogion if you can:

    That God Cannot be Thought Not to Exist
    Right. But it is hoped that God does not exist. I mean, it is really really hoped that God doesn't exist. For obvious reasons. Imagine how the one that denies the existence of God will feel when they are actually called to give account of themselves before God. I think it will be something like extreme shock followed closely by a sudden realization of impending doom.

    Hey, don't look at me, it wasn't my idea! 😛 It's in the Bible.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78567
    30 Nov '14 05:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    I rather thought it was an ad hominem about being "foolish" rather than a genuine "reply" to the OP poster. But maybe you're right, maybe it's legitimate "advice". The question of what it actually is has been highlighted then. Good.
    I haven't noticed roigam ever respond to any posts except ones made by Christians. He tends not to involve himself in disputes with non-believers.
  14. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    30 Nov '14 05:281 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I haven't noticed roigam ever respond to any posts except ones made by Christians. He tends not to involve himself in disputes with non-believers.
    I don't see what argument roigam was offering in the dispute. I just saw a lazy ad hominem-like-thing that sought to circumnavigate or perhaps stifle debate. 🙂

    edit: He tends not to involve himself in disputes with non-believers.

    Well, he has had some exchanges of views with me and I am a non-believer when it comes to his religious faith.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86395
    30 Nov '14 05:41
    Originally posted by josephw
    Hey, don't look at me, it wasn't my idea! 😛 It's in the Bible.
    But in reality the world of unbelievers are "looking" you josephw; they look at what you believe, why you believe it and what impact it has on your attitudes and behaviour. Adopting an unpleasant religious belief and then saying "don't look at me, it's in the bible" is not endearing nor edifying for anyone.
Back to Top