1. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 19:52
    Originally posted by Doward
    its a valid definition, prove it false
    How do you prove or disprove a definition? You don't. It's just a label. "I define the square root of -1 to be i."
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 20:58
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    How do you prove or disprove a definition? You don't. It's just a label. "I define the square root of -1 to be i."
    If the definition leads to contradiction then the definition is by definition invalid.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 20:59
    God is perfection.
    If God is perfection then how can there be imperfection is his Creation?
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 21:33
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    If the definition leads to contradiction then the definition is by definition invalid.
    Yes…well…

…well, yes. I'll buy that. I'll buy two.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 03:452 edits

That's a good question. But one thing seems clear from the Bible's linear progression on this. Imperfection will not be eternal. There is a timetable in which that which falls short of God's perfection is terminated.

While starting with Genesis chapter 3 we do notice something going wrong with God's "very good" creation, all of it is vanquished by the end of history seen in the last two chapters of Revelation the last book of the Bible.

It must have something to do with creations endowed with the ability to choose to have nothing to do with God. It has to be.
  6. St. Peter's
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 21:23
    what is imperfect in creation (and you must prove that it is imperfect)? and the definition did not include creator. if God is the first efficient cause of creation then all subsequent causes would be less perfect (2nd law of thermo dynamic), but we are not there yet, first one must discredit God as perfection.
  7. St. Peter's
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 21:261 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. St. Peter's
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 21:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes, its a valid definition. No, it isn't the definition of the God he believes in.
    And I never said I would prove it false (definitions are by definition, neither true nor false). I said I could possibly prove that an entity matching the given definition did not exist.
    how do you know what God I believe in? I believe in the God of perfection. Now proceed sir.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 22:25
    what is imperfect in creation (and you must prove that it is imperfect)? and the definition did not include creator. if God is the first efficient cause of creation then all subsequent causes would be less perfect (2nd law of thermo dynamic), but we are not there yet, first one must discredit God as perfection.
    I don't agree that the second law of thermodynamics applies to 'perfection'. It measures the level of disorder of a non-equilibrium system increases. The highest entropy state for a given volume of space is a black hole, which is perfection of sort. It also measures the amount of information in a system. If God is omniscient, anything else would fall short of perfection, then he has all information possible and so is in the highest possible state of Entropy.

I just thought I'd have a pop at your definition of God as it is the same as Plato's. Plato's God couldn't think about anything but himself as to so would be to have imperfect thoughts which would contradict his perfection. So that God was just engaged in total self-absorption. Worse 'he' brought about the universe (which in Plato's mind was imperfect) by accident, it couldn't help but come into existence as a side effect of the presence of this perfect entity. The perfect God of course was unable to notice as to be aware of imperfection would make him imperfect.

So I need you to explain what you mean by perfect so that a moderately interventionist, or at least caring God is possible - I assume you are not advocating Plato's construction.
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Dec '14 01:001 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Crikey ... I actually find the post I'm referring to here offensive, genuinely offensive 😞
  11. St. Peter's
    Moves
    13 Dec '14 01:17
    I don't agree that the second law of thermodynamics applies to 'perfection'. It measures the level of disorder of a non-equilibrium system increases. The highest entropy state for a given volume of space is a black hole, which is perfection of sort. It also measures the amount of information in a system. If God is omniscient, anything else would fall ...[text shortened]... nist, or at least caring God is possible - I assume you are not advocating Plato's construction.
    so for you to have a go at my definition you need me to alter my definition? That doesn't seem to be a very honest approach.
  12. St. Peter's
    Moves
    13 Dec '14 01:17
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Crikey ... I actually find the post I'm referring to here offensive, genuinely offensive 😞
    you'll get over it.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Dec '14 06:47
    how do you know what God I believe in? I believe in the God of perfection. Now proceed sir.
    I made a perfect cup of coffee this morning. I didn't realize till now that it was your God. I drank it, so your God no longer exists. QED.
  14. St. Peter's
    Moves
    13 Dec '14 18:12
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I made a perfect cup of coffee this morning. I didn't realize till now that it was your God. I drank it, so your God no longer exists. QED.
    or...you drank God and never realized it. The theologies of Meister Eckhart would affirm that God exists within your coffee, and within you, whether you recognize it or not.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Dec '14 19:061 edit
    or...you drank God and never realized it. The theologies of Meister Eckhart would affirm that God exists within your coffee, and within you, whether you recognize it or not.
    Still, its not a perfect cup of coffee any more. So God is dead.

If you disagree, then try and prove me wrong, but in doing so you will have to prove a negative.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree