1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 04:04
    The Anthropic Principle is the Law of Human Existence. It is well known that our existence in this universe depends on numerous cosmological constants and parameters whose numerical values must fall within a very narrow range of values. If even a single variable were off, even slightly, we would not exist. The extreme improbability that so many variables would align so auspiciously in our favor merely by chance has led some scientists and philosophers to propose instead that it was God who providentially engineered the universe to suit our specific needs. This is the Anthropic Principle: that the universe appears to have been fine-tuned for our existence.

Richard Dawkins explains the Anthropic Principle.
    YouTube

Anthropic Principle #1
    YouTube

Anthropic Principle #2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=c2PsTgqdiDI&NR=1

The improbable universe
    YouTube
  2. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 04:53
    ... imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact, it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the Sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be all right, because this World was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.

-douglas adams
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 06:06
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    ... imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact, it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the Sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gra ...[text shortened]... I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.

-douglas adams
    This sounds like the thoughts of an insane man. What nobel prize was this clown given for being a numbnuts?
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 10:31
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This sounds like the thoughts of an insane man. What nobel prize was this clown given for being a numbnuts?
    he's the only man who ever worked out the true meaning of life!
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 15:38
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    42!
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 16:08
    This is debatable.

Quote: The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, "The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately no one knows what the question is. Thus, to calculate the Ultimate Question, a special computer the size of a small planet and using organic components was created and named "Earth." unquote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(number)

IOW, the "ultimate question" might not be "What is the true meaning of life?"
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 16:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Pot/puddle/black?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 16:41
    Originally posted by JS357
    This is debatable.

Quote: The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, "The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately no one knows what the question is. Thus, to calculate the Ultimate Question, a special com ...[text shortened]... umber)

IOW, the "ultimate question" might not be "What is the true meaning of life?"
    You had to go and spoil our fun🙂
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 17:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You had to go and spoil our fun🙂
    I think it's more fun thinking that "42" will make complete sense as the answer to the Ultimate Question; the question that the Earth is here to calculate.
  10. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 17:232 edits
    46 and 2 ahead of me.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 17:47
    Originally posted by JS357
    I think it's more fun thinking that "42" will make complete sense as the answer to the Ultimate Question; the question that the Earth is here to calculate.
    This fun refers to the 'stringing him along' kind of fun....
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 04:16
    ha ha I bet. 🙄
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 04:19
    42!
    Another fairy tale for grownups, I bet.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 04:21
    This fun refers to the 'stringing him along' kind of fun....
    You knew it was a faity tale all along. You deceiver. Son of Satan.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree