1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '07 03:351 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    I'm curious, where do you get the idea that anything is "hidden"? 😉[/b]
    I think it wise to study the original language and text rather than simply read a translation. For example, in 1 Corinthians 13 in the KJV Paul talks of "charity". However, this is because the English language is woefully inadequate in terms of defining love and it is the term the translators really wanted to use but did not use it to avoid confusion about what love is. After all, how many times have we heard confusion about what love is? For example, the Greek language has five different words for love. Love may mean an erotic type of love "eros" or a God kind of love "agape". In fact, there are three other types of love in the Greek language to help clarify what "love" really is all about.
  2. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    05 May '07 04:321 edit
    I'm getting tired of this...

Take for example the two (yes, two) creation stories in Genesis. How can humans be created last (in one story) and earlier (in the other creation story) at the same time?

It's a paradox and hypocracy you have created...you say that there are no contradictions, and when I mention one, you excuse it immediately, claiming it is deceptive (or whatever reason), or, on other topics, you simply excuse it and say that I was "picking and choosing" verses. 😞

So, how do you interpret what is important? I sure don't know...but I know you need to find a way to...
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 May '07 05:04
    Does it? Where? I've never seen it as far as I can remember.

I believe the Jewish calendar, back then, only had 360 days a year.
    And he [Hiram] made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one rim to the other it was round all about, and...a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about....And it was a hand breadth thick....
    1 Kings, 7: 23, 26

Do the maths here and pi = 3.
    Which I can tell you is most assuredly incorrect.

As for calendar days, that's irrelevant really, since we can create any calendar we want. You can create a metric calendar if you like.
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 May '07 05:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    You say this because you do not believe there to be a God. However, if there is a God, could not such a God inspire men to write certain things?

If there is a God then such a God would interact with his creation in some way and would find a medium such as the Bible in which to communicate with his creation. The only other option is that God would choose ...[text shortened]... d exists, however, he may as well be dead in relation to his creation and may as well not exist.
    Artists use things for inspiration all the time.
    I could use the idea of a god to inspire me to write something - not the same thing as having the god do the writing.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 May '07 05:46
    Look at 2 Peter 1:21 If you dare.
    I'm sure you're aware that the four gospels weren't written until between approximately 70CE and 110CE. That's some 40 years after Jesus' death for the earliest one, and about 80 years for the last. I'm sure you're also aware that we don't have any of the originals, but only copies of copies that were made hundreds of years later. And finally, I'm sure you're also aware that of the many hundreds of bible manuscripts that we have, no two of them match each other exactly. They all contain scribal errors and/or outright manipulations of the texts.

If the bible was really written by god, I think he would have done a better job in getting the message out there.
  6. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 May '07 10:29
    I never said the earth was only 6000 years old.

There is no definitive proof that man evolved. Like you said, you think homo sapiens appeared 100,000 years ago. You just don't know!
    I know you never said that the Earth was 6,000 years old. I am answering the ORIGINAL question. Calm down, Man.

There is so much evidence for the scenario, one might just as well take it as truth. But, that is my opinion.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 May '07 12:26
    Originally posted by znsho
    I know you never said that the Earth was 6,000 years old. I am answering the ORIGINAL question. Calm down, Man.

There is so much evidence for the scenario, one might just as well take it as truth. But, that is my opinion.
    Evidence doesn't prove anything, and what makes you think I'm not calm?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '07 12:38
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I'm getting tired of this...

Take for example the [b]two
    (yes, two) creation stories in Genesis. How can humans be created last (in one story) and earlier (in the other creation story) at the same time?

It's a paradox and hypocracy you have created...you say that there are no contradictions, and when I mention one, you excuse it immediately, cl ...[text shortened]... u interpret what is important? I sure don't know...but I know you need to find a way to...[/b]
    Perhaps that is how you read the stories but it is not how I read the stories. Can you expand on how the stories are contradictory?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '07 12:40
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I'm sure you're aware that the four gospels weren't written until between approximately 70CE and 110CE. That's some 40 years after Jesus' death for the earliest one, and about 80 years for the last. I'm sure you're also aware that we don't have any of the originals, but only copies of copies that were made hundreds of years later. And finally, I'm sure you' ...[text shortened]... tten by god, I think he would have done a better job in getting the message out there.
    Please back up your claims with facts instead of simply throwing them out there as fact.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 May '07 12:40
    I think it wise to study the original language and text rather than simply read a translation. For example, in 1 Corinthians 13 in the KJV Paul talks of "charity". However, this is because the English language is woefully inadequate in terms of defining love and it is the term the translators really wanted to use but did not use it to avoid confusion about ...[text shortened]... her types of love in the Greek language to help clarify what "love" really is all about.
    Yes whodey, I've got all the books. And I've been doing this for 25 years. All the words in the world cannot adequately describe what love is.
    All this talk about original languages and translations, interpretations and misinterpretations is subterfuge. The meaning of a truth is spiritually discerned and is acquired by diligent study and application and takes a lifetime to achieve. The letter is dead but the spirit is life.
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    05 May '07 12:431 edit
    Why do you keep insisting that there are contradictions in the bible?

There only appear to be contradictions to you because you are unable to reconcile the differences, and because somebody sold you a bill of goods.
    You haven't heard the whole story yet young man. 😉
    How did Jesus identify Judas Iscariot as his triator? Did he give him the a sop (Jn.13.26) or did he said that the one will put his hand with him in the food will be the triator (All the other gospels).

How did Judas Iscariot Died?

Who bought the Field, Judas Iscariot , or the Jews Priests?

When did he die actually , before or after Jesus?
    ---------------------------

I hope you can find an answer to these 4 questions about Judas Iscariot alone. There are another questions about him, but lets start with these.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '07 12:45
    Originally posted by amannion
    Artists use things for inspiration all the time.
    I could use the idea of a god to inspire me to write something - not the same thing as having the god do the writing.
    All good points, however, I am not sure you know much about how God has communicated his word to us. For example, God took Moses up on a mountain and talked face to face with him. In fact, it was said that the origianl ten commandments were written with the finger of God in stone. Also, God came down in the flesh via Christ and he talked directly to us. Christ said that if you have seen the Son you have seen the Father after his disciples asked him to show them the Father. Also God talked directly to men of faith throughout the Bible and gave them visions to prophesy etc. It has more to do with actual verbal communication than simply writing on a personal whim.
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    05 May '07 13:04
    Yes whodey, I've got all the books. And I've been doing this for 25 years. All the words in the world cannot adequately describe what love is.
    All this talk about original languages and translations, interpretations and misinterpretations is subterfuge. The meaning of a truth is spiritually discerned and is acquired by diligent study and application and takes a lifetime to achieve. The letter is dead but the spirit is life.
    Just look at what you are saying. On the one hand you say all the talk about original languages, translations, interpretations, etc is "subtrafuge" and then you say the meaning of truth takes diligent study over a lifetime. Exactly what have you got against people who study the texts in a critical way? These people certainly aren't lazy and are not content to sit around and watch the latest cult nonsense off of the TBN network.

Right now I'm reading a book entitled "The Misunderstood Jew". It is written by a Jewish woman who teaches at a well-respected Christian university. She also happens to work with a lot with interfaith dialogue. I enjoy reading and learning about new stuff that challenges me.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 May '07 13:49
    Originally posted by amannion
    And he [Hiram] made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one rim to the other it was round all about, and...a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about....And it was a hand breadth thick....
    1 Kings, 7: 23, 26

Do the maths here and pi = 3.
    Which I can tell you is most assuredly incorrect.

As for calendar days, that's irrelevant really, since we can create any calendar we want. You can create a metric calendar if you like.
    It's the 'hand breadth thick' that's throwing off your math amannion.
    The diameter is measured from the outside of the brim and the circumference is the inside of the brim. The brim then is a little over 4 inches.
    Do the math and let me know if this is correct.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 May '07 14:05
    Please back up your claims with facts instead of simply throwing them out there as fact.
    Why don't you get your head out of your nether regions and do some research on your own for a change?

Wikipedia lists Mark as being the oldest of the gospels, written in the late 60s or early 70s CE
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Mark#Date

Most scholars agree that the gospel of John was written between 90 and 100 CE.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_John#Date

The Codex Sinaiticus and the Codex Vitacinus are considered to be the two oldest surviving complete biblical manuscripts that we have. They were written in the 4th century.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Sinaiticus
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Vaticanus
    There are many differences between them. The Codex Sinaiticus, for example, contains the Epistle of Barnabas, and portions of The Shepherd of Hermas, both of which are no longer considered to be canonical.

We can add to that the fact that it wasn't finally decided which books to definitively include in the bible until the Council of Nicaea, in 325.

This stuff is all common knowledge for everyone except ardent christians, who, surprisingly, seem to know the least about the history of the bible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree