1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 May '07 01:32
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Well maybe you were since you are so sure of the date...
    I'm only sure because the bible says so.
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 May '07 01:35
    Originally posted by josephw
    This contemporary jargon. EVSOA What does it mean?
    its not funny anymore
  3. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 May '07 02:00
    The earth may well be billions and billions of years old, but I believe man has only been here for about 6000 years.
    I think the general scientific concensus is that the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. Homo (can't remember which one) first evolved about a million years ago. I think Homo sapiens appeared about 100,000 years ago.

There is quite a lot of evidence for the above scenario. It fllows that the Earth is not 6,000 years old.
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 May '07 02:26
    I'm only sure because the bible says so.
    The bible also says pi = 3. Are you sure of this?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '07 02:341 edit
    Ok. As I'm sure you are aware. Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Maybe billions of years ago. Or longer.
    Verse 2 And the earth was (became) without form, and void;...sometime prior to the six day creation period 6000 years ago.
    So what happened between verses 1 and 2?
    It's the "gap" theory of which I'm sure you know about ...[text shortened]... erwise you're going to want me to explain it. It's interesting and answers some problems.
    Something to consider. Genesis 2:4 says, "These are the GENERATIONS of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in THE DAY that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens." So what are the generations? It appears to me that, on the one hand we see time in terms of how it relates to man and then THE DAY as time relates to God. I am not sure you are familiar with the theory of relativity but time is merely relative to the observer. Also, the terms morning and evening to denote the passing of a day can be interpreted in the Hebrew as being "choas" and "order". Also something to consider is if God is refering to a literal human day it is problematic considering the sun was made on the 3rd day. So if the sun was made on the 3rd day, what of day 1 and 2? A literal day is one rotation of the earth on its axis as it revolves around the sun, no? I think much is hidden in the original Hebrew writings than the translators were able to uncover.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 May '07 02:35
    Originally posted by rwingett
    God didn't write the bible. Men did.
    Look at 2 Peter 1:21 If you dare.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 May '07 02:43
    Originally posted by znsho
    I think the general scientific concensus is that the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. Homo (can't remember which one) first evolved about a million years ago. I think Homo sapiens appeared about 100,000 years ago.

There is quite a lot of evidence for the above scenario. It fllows that the Earth is not 6,000 years old.
    I never said the earth was only 6000 years old.

There is no definitive proof that man evolved. Like you said, you think homo sapiens appeared 100,000 years ago. You just don't know!
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 May '07 02:46
    Originally posted by amannion
    The bible also says pi = 3. Are you sure of this?
    Does it? Where? I've never seen it as far as I can remember.

I believe the Jewish calendar, back then, only had 360 days a year.
  9. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    05 May '07 02:48
    Amen.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '07 02:532 edits
    You say this because you do not believe there to be a God. However, if there is a God, could not such a God inspire men to write certain things?

If there is a God then such a God would interact with his creation in some way and would find a medium such as the Bible in which to communicate with his creation. The only other option is that God would choose not interact with his creation in any way. If such a God exists, however, he may as well be dead in relation to his creation and may as well not exist.
  11. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    05 May '07 02:591 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    You say this because you do not believe there to be a God. However, if there is a God, could not such a God inspire men to write certain things?

If there is a God then such a God would interact with his creation in some way and would find a medium such as the Bible in which to communicate with his creation. The only other option is that God would choose ...[text shortened]... d exists, however, he may as well be dead in relation to his creation and may as well not exist.
    Sure, some of it might be "inspired," but how do you know which is and which isn't?

Also, we've been over this before, but why would God "inspire" different people to write contradicting statements/beliefs?
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 May '07 03:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    Something to consider. Genesis 2:4 says, "These are the GENERATIONS of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in THE DAY that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens." So what are the generations? It appears to me that, on the one hand we see time in terms of how it relates to man and then THE DAY as time relates to God. I am not sure yo ...[text shortened]... much is hidden in the original Hebrew writings than the translators were able to uncover.
    I'm going to have to let this pass for now, but I just made a quick study of that verse, and the meaning which you are giving it is debatable.

The earth can rotate on its' axis without the sun being present.

I'm curious, where do you get the idea that anything is "hidden"? 😉
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 May '07 03:19
    Amen.
    You have a ways to go! 😉
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 May '07 03:25
    Sure, some of it might be "inspired," but how do you know which is and which isn't?

Also, we've been over this before, but why would God "inspire" different people to write contradicting statements/beliefs?
    Why do you keep insisting that there are contradictions in the bible?

There only appear to be contradictions to you because you are unable to reconcile the differences, and because somebody sold you a bill of goods.
    You haven't heard the whole story yet young man. 😉
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '07 03:261 edit

He would not inspire contradictory writings, thats just it. Either God exists and one is correct and the other is not or he does not exist or does not care about all of the various messages out there and its all a bunch of poppycock (excuse the langauge).

My God tells me through his word that we have an adversary who is Satan. Naturally, God is more powerful that this adversary and, in fact, he has already been defeated on more than one level. He was defeated on a heavenly medium as Michael cast him out of heaven when he sinned and on a human medium as Christ overcame death, hell, and the grave for mankind. You might say he is whipping boy of sorts. So how does one that is "outgunned" fight back you might ask. Really he fights the only way he can and that is through DECEPTION. This is why we have all of these various contradictory teachings in the world today.

For me it seems as though everyone wants a piece of the Bible and it is, in and of itself, and indication that this is truly God's word. Look at all of the various religions that have sprung from the Bible. You have Islam, JW's, Mormons etc who all say the Bible is all well and good as being the inspired word of God but.........it is corrupted so here is a new book we have written to correct such corruptions. You see one does not need to confront the truth directly, especially because a direct confrontation with a superior force is suicidal. Therefore, one need only twist and decieve instead. For example, who can claim Christ was evil or that his message was not pure? Nobody. How then can you fight him? It seems to me that deception is really the only option.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree