1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 05:39
    What do you all think of these books ?
    The book of Enoch for example. Jude quotes it.
    Interesting to say the least. What is everyones take on the Nephlim ? Were these angels that had sex with human women? Or sons of Seth?

Manny
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 12:121 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    Interesting to say the least. What is everyones take on the Nephlim ? Were these angels that had sex with human women? Or sons of Seth?

Manny
    I've read Enoch and have to say it was very interesting. In fact, Enoch seems to make references to the coming of Christ. Another interesting tid bit is that Lucifer fell on day #2 of creation if I recall. Also Noah's ark took a few new twists. All in all I recommend people reading it.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 13:04

Manny
    Enoch is considered canonical in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 13:40

Manny
    Jude who? Jude didn't write any books in the Bible. Jude was written by Paul.

The 66 books of the Bible is the word of God. Anything else is pure speculation.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 13:49
    Originally posted by josephw

The 66 books of the Bible is the word of God. Anything else is pure speculation.
    The 'revealed' or 'inspired' word of God. God didn't actually write the Bible.
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 02:58

“Jude, a bond-servant of Jesus Christ, and a brother of James,” Jude 1

How can you say Paul wrote in when the author states Himself as who He is?
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 02:59
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Enoch is considered canonical in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.
    Indeed I noticed that.

Manny
  8. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 03:05

You are mistaken. The book of Jude was not written by Paul.
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 03:12
    Indeed I referenced Jude because He references Enoch. Now some think that maybe Paul wrote the book of Hebrews but it's not 100%. The Author obviously new the Law and ordinances of the OT and was able to contrast them with the new covenant.

Manny
  10. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 03:19
    Indeed I referenced Jude because He references Enoch. Now some think that maybe Paul wrote the book of Hebrews but it's not 100%. The Author obviously new the Law and ordinances of the OT and was able to contrast them with the new covenant.

Manny
    I find the gospel of Thomas very interesting, as well. It puts a different spin on things.One can see some eastern over tones in the writers view of Christ and the message.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 03:271 edit

Manny
    Most scholars agree that Hebrews was not written by Paul. There have been doubts about its authorship since antiquity.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_letters#Authenticity_of_the_epistles
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 03:31
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I find the gospel of Thomas very interesting, as well. It puts a different spin on things.One can see some eastern over tones in the writers view of Christ and the message.
    My friend who is a Pastor says there is a Church of Thomas in India that survives to this day. Should google it at minimum to to see. I know a lot of main line Christians have issues with these extra books. I honestly would like to look at them more.

Manny
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 03:38
    My friend who is a Pastor says there is a Church of Thomas in India that survives to this day. Should google it at minimum to to see. I know a lot of main line Christians have issues with these extra books. I honestly would like to look at them more.

Manny
    Bart Ehrman has a book on just that: Lost Scriptures: Books that Did Not Make It into the New Testament. One review says:

"A companion to Lost Christianities, this volume provides substantial selections from over three dozen of the Gospels, Acts, Epistles, Apocalypses and revelatory treatises not included in the New Testament canon, but which reveal the diverse and competing forms of early Christianity. Ehrman's introductions helpfully situate the documents in their presumed original settings. An invaluable collection of texts for both students of early Christianity and general readers."

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Scriptures-Books-that-Testament/dp/0195182502/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267500873&sr=1-8
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 03:49
    Other good books on it are,

Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas
    by Elaine Pagels

The Gnostic Gospels
    by Elaine Pagels

http://www.amazon.com/Gnostic-Gospels-Elaine-Pagels/dp/0679724532
  15. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    02 Mar '10 03:59
    Thanks.

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree