1. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    7680
    10 Sep '12 15:58
    I regret the thread heading about the idolisation of the Bible.
    "is" was far too strong. "Can be" would have been better.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148463
    10 Sep '12 16:22
    Originally posted by Taoman
    I regret the thread heading about the idolisation of the Bible.
    "is" was far too strong. "Can be" would have been better.
    Nice, well said.
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    10 Sep '12 17:04
    Originally posted by Taoman
    I regret the thread heading about the idolisation of the Bible.
    "is" was far too strong. "Can be" would have been better.
    You go too far, if you're going to comprimise perhaps try "is often"
  4. Joined
    10 Jun '11
    Moves
    3829
    10 Sep '12 17:21
    try to eliminate "is" fully from your vocabulary. it may require changing your mind's structure. i have not succeeded yet.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    10 Sep '12 20:22
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    try to eliminate "is" fully from your vocabulary. it may require changing your mind's structure. i have not succeeded yet.
    Yes. Convincing others that "this" is "that" -- especially that "this" is "really" "that" -- is a control technique. Have I convinced you of this? 😉
  6. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    10 Sep '12 20:27
    Originally posted by Agerg
    You go too far, if you're going to comprimise perhaps try "is often"
    when are you going to explain Mandelbrot fractals to me?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    10 Sep '12 21:46
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    try to eliminate "is" fully from your vocabulary. it may require changing your mind's structure. i have not succeeded yet.
    I agree that you have not succeeded in changing your mind's structure, yet.
    Perhaps a got start would be to repent of your sins.
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    10 Sep '12 21:582 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    when are you going to explain Mandelbrot fractals to me?
    Not until I have at least enough knowledge to explain them to you in laymans terms ... and I'm very busy at the moment ;]
  9. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    7680
    10 Sep '12 22:10
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    try to eliminate "is" fully from your vocabulary. it may require changing your mind's structure. i have not succeeded yet.
    Most wise. I am aware of "is" , but mindfulness remains a skill to be pursued.-
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    10 Sep '12 22:21
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Most wise. I am aware of "is" , but mindfulness remains a skill to be pursued.-
    Is it really so wise? Now is not the time to give up on a word that is so useful. 🙂
  11. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    7680
    10 Sep '12 22:25
    Originally posted by Agerg
    You go too far, if you're going to comprimise perhaps try "is often"
    I'll leave the measuring. I'll leave it with, 'not the "is" ', for now. The rest still stands as an issue between me and some Christian fellow travellers. Book idolatry happens and when it does, it becomes a spiritual obstacle, in my strong opinion.

    The zen of strong opinion. When you are having a strong opinion, have a strong opinion. When having a cup of tea, have a cup of tea. Full on, direct, be it. But keep smiling often.
  12. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    7680
    10 Sep '12 22:46
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Is it really so wise? Now is not the time to give up on a word that is so useful. 🙂
    You are right too. I guess I meant to be aware of too much is-ing, but in doing so I was is-ing! lol! What a dance! Can't really get rid of "is", can we?

    Anyway, it's a time for recognizing an error.
  13. Joined
    10 Jun '11
    Moves
    3829
    11 Sep '12 01:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I agree that you have not succeeded in changing your mind's structure, yet.
    Perhaps a got start would be to repent of your sins.
    i am without sin.
  14. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    11 Sep '12 01:58
    Originally posted by Taoman
    I regret the thread heading about the idolisation of the Bible.
    "is" was far too strong. "Can be" would have been better.
    Oh hell no, we want blood. 😕
  15. Joined
    10 Jun '11
    Moves
    3829
    11 Sep '12 02:02
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Is it really so wise? Now is not the time to give up on a word that is so useful. 🙂
    it has the appearance of being wise, perhaps one may consider giving up on an absolute term that has limited usefulness in conveying relativity.
Back to Top