1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 12:594 edits
    The garment reaching to the feet is the preistly robe (Exodus 28:33-35). This robe signifies the fullnesss of Christ's divine attributes and human virtues. The description can be compared to the vision of God on the throne that Isaiah the prophet saw in (Isaiah 6:1,3) .

The priests in the Old Testament were girded at the loins for their ministry (Exo. 28:4). Christ is also girded at the loins in the vision in Dan. 10:5. There He is girded at the loins with fine gold. The fine gold signifies the divine nature of God.

Here He is girded at the breasts. The breast signify love. To be girded at the loins is to be stengthened for the work, whereas to be girded about the breasts signifies care in love.

He no longer is girded at the loins for His work has been accomplished on Calvary in His redemptive death. Now He is girded at the heart of love for His loving care for the churches. What Christ is doing now is caring for the churches in love.

The golden girdle signifies divine strength.

The whilte hair of His head signifies great age (Job 15:10). Christ is of great age for He is the eternal God Himself - the Word was with God and was God in John 1:1. The white hair signifies the ancientnesss of Christ. In the Song of Songs His hair is black (S.S. 5:11). There the black hair stands for Christ's unfading strength. Here the white hair symbolizes His ancientness.

The hair is discribed as white wool. The hair being like white wool means what He is comes out of the nature of life. The hair descirbed as snow suggests that as snow comes from the sky, the Man is from Heaven. He is ancient because He is God eternal incarnate. He is also the Man from Heaven. So the hair is seen as white wool and white snow from heaven.

White wool issues from the nature of life, and white snow comes from the sky, from heaven. Hence, white wool in Revelation 1 and in Dan. 7:9 signifies that the ancientnesss of Christ is out of His nature, and not out of His becoming old, while white snow signigies that His ancientness is heavenly, not earthly.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 11:48
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The garment reaching to the feet is the preistly robe [b](Exodus 28:33-35). This robe signifies the fullnesss of Christ's divine attributes and human virtues. The description can be compared to the vision of God on the throne that Isaiah the prophet saw in (Isaiah 6:1,3) .

The priests in the Old Testament were girded at the loins for their mi ...[text shortened]... of His becoming old, while white snow signigies that His ancientness is heavenly, not earthly.[/b]
    I have heard some say the wool hair indicates He has kinky hair like the Africans.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 13:421 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I have heard some say the wool hair indicates He has kinky hair like the Africans.
    I have heard that also. It is inconsequential to me. My priorities with that description of Christ in Revelation 1 simply lie with other matters. I would tend to probably ignore such an exegesis in the same way I would ignore artistic pictures of Jesus portraying Him to look like a white European.

They are both very light weight flights of cultural imaginative fancy which distract me from the weightier aspects of the Bible's revelation about Christ.

If I saw a children's picture Bible written by Koreans or Chinese I would expect the character Jesus to appear Oriental. I understand and I move on to the more significant matters of the incarnation of God as a man.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree