1. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 15:34
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    All of them, just as they were all there in Adam.
    Kelly
    Seems to me you've got at most three ethnicities/races on the boat.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 15:55
    Originally posted by C Hess
    The problem with this line of argument is that you are building a moral system where anti-racism is dependent on the literal truth of the Bible. Which strikes me as problematic for those of us who don't believe in its literal truth.

As it happens it is believed there was a bottle neck in human history around 70,000 years ago when the world population dropped to a few thousand people, coinciding with a super-volcano eruption in Indonesia (Toba lake). This comes under the heading of "just a theory" but does have the merit that the resultant population was plausibly genetically viable. Populations of less than 100 aren't.
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 18:17
    In the Hebrew Scriptures, there are several covenants. The “Noahide” is one; another is the Abrahamic covenant; etc., etc.. Jews generally think of the giving of the Torah at Sinai to be the one to which klal Yisrael trace the specifically Jewish covenantal (“religious” ) heritage. The cultural/ethnic (whatever) heritage is traced to Yakov (Jacob/Israel) - and the reference in the blessings in the Jewish prayer book(s) is ben/bat Yisrael: son/daughter of Israel.

In terms of Semitic ethnicity, I will defer to the geneticists.

NOTE: “Jew” though, originally referred to those who lived in Judea, the Southern Kingdom.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jul '14 23:432 edits
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Why? There are eight people. Husbands and wives do not have to be of the same race/ethnicities.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree