1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 20:022 edits
    Originally posted by mikelom
    There are theists who claim to have faith in a God and don't, because they aren't quite sure - as it was a follow on from parenting -, and they mock people who don't.

However, I wasn't going down that route.

It has been claimed by many a theist in this forum that atheists cannot possibly be faithful to good living standards and compassion, as we have n qualities of faith in each other, whether we carry a God and belief of such or not!

-m.
    We all have faith. The only question is, faith in what?

Faith is relational. For example, you place faith in loved ones or in inantimate objects that have worked well for you in the past.

So what you have faith in depends largely on what you relate to on a daily basis. For this reason, simply believing that a God exists does not mean you are actively exercising faith in that God. Simply put, believing God exists does not mean you place your faith in that God.

Having said that, does one have to place your faith in God to do "good" things? I suppose it depends on what you deem "good". One word of caution, an old saying comes to mind which is "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". What we may deem good, God may not and vice versa.

From a perspective of one of faith, I place my faith in a God that I beleive to be benevolent and all knowing. This means that although God may tell me to do something I don't see as "good" or I may avoid doing something I think is "good" but know that God does not want me doing it, I must defer to the God I believe knows better than I and trust that in the end good will triumph.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 07:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    We all have faith. The only question is, faith in what?

Faith is relational. For example, you place faith in loved ones or in inantimate objects that have worked well for you in the past.

So what you have faith in depends largely on what you relate to on a daily basis. For this reason, simply believing that a God exists does not mean you are actively ...[text shortened]... to the God I believe knows better than I and trust that in the end good will triumph.
    Do you have an example from your life where God told you to do something you didn't see as good, and you did it, that you would like to talk about?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree