1. Standard memberspiritmangr8ness
    Doh!!! Or--Are--I
    Springfield, USA
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 00:52
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Not by over 60 million years they didn't. Dinosaurs went extinct 65 million years ago at the K-T (Cretatious - Tertiary) boundary, when a meteorite hit the Yucatan Penninsula. The Irridium (an element common in meteorites, but not on earth) layer deposited by the impact can be found, at that particular time worldwide. Dinosaurs one side, no dinosaurs ...[text shortened]... probably noctural, insectovores. The fossil to which you refer has been long known as a fake.
    "Determining the age of rocks or fossils that are millions of years old is not easy; carbon dating only has a reasonable resolution when used with organic material that is less than about 50,000 years old, so it is useless with the 65 million year old K-T material. Other methods of age determination are often less accurate or less useful in certain situations. So we don't know exactly when the dinosaurs went extinct, and matching events precisely to give a picture of what was happening at a specific moment in the Mesozoic is not easy."
  2. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 00:53
    I agree that god is the biggest fairy story to have ever made a transition to people thinking it is real, but this is by no means proof of anything. All that the bible not mentioning dinosaurs means is that the bible didn't mention dinosaurs.
    so god created the dinosaurs and saw that it was good did he,rubbish
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 01:26
    Originally posted by spiritmangr8ness
    "Determining the age of rocks or fossils that are millions of years old is not easy; carbon dating only has a reasonable resolution when used with organic material that is less than about 50,000 years old, so it is useless with the 65 million year old K-T material. Other methods of age determination are often less accurate or less useful in certain ...[text shortened]... ly to give a picture of what was happening at a specific moment in the Mesozoic is not easy."
    Don't even start me on this one.

You don't use carbon dating to date something that old. Something like potassium - argon method, or the argon-argon method are useful though - and accurate to within 2%.
  4. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 04:04

You don't use carbon dating to date something that old. Something like potassium - argon method, or the argon-argon method are useful though - and accurate to within 2%.
    And regardless, you don't need pinpoint accuracy to see that dinosaurs and humans never coexisted. Even if you allow a positivly HUGE margin of error, there is still no overlap.
  5. Standard memberspiritmangr8ness
    Doh!!! Or--Are--I
    Springfield, USA
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 10:38

Was it not you Scott who argued against paleontology as being unreliabe when discussing the Coso Artifact?
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 19:54
    Originally posted by spiritmangr8ness
    Was it not you Scott who argued against paleontology as being unreliabe when discussing the Coso Artifact?
    The Coso artifact was a fake though. The Coso artifact was a 1920's Ford sparkplug, read the page on the URL below. I'm all for proper paleontology.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/coso.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree