1. Joined
    08 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 May '08 18:45
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Words constructed in the negative do tend to get a “negative” reaction. Take the word dis-illusioned—as if being illusioned were the more “positive” state of mind! And yet people talk all the time about the negative effect of being “disillusioned”, as if that’s a bad thing!

Realism and naturalism are already taken to refer to specific philosophic ...[text shortened]... nothing subtracted. I’m a thathatist! (And that, I am sure, there is no check-box for.)
    Looks like it will have to be "Determinism" for me, inevitably.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 May '08 07:42
    Originally posted by leedsagain
    Atheism is a religious stance, I admit.
    However I posted the original just to stir the pot a bit.
    ha! you're the first atheist to admit that most atheists are as religious in their beliefs as the fanatics in the traditional religions. 😀

although for corectness i must admit that most atheists are not like that just like not all religious people insist god created the world in 7 days(or 6) and took a nap afterwards.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 May '08 10:56
    Originally posted by leedsagain
    Looks like it will have to be "Determinism" for me, inevitably.
    Are you doomed to narrow-minded complacency?
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    02 May '08 12:39
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    ha! you're the first atheist to admit that most atheists are as religious in their beliefs as the fanatics in the traditional religions. 😀
    How does his post say that? He said that he saw atheism as a religious stance, but he didn't say that most atheists are as religious in their beliefs as the fanatics in traditional religions.

I think you're reading more into his post than what was actually said.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 May '08 14:40
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    How does his post say that? He said that he saw atheism as a religious stance, but he didn't say that most atheists are as religious in their beliefs as the fanatics in traditional religions.

since he says that for some atheism is a religious stance the degree doesn't matter that much
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    02 May '08 16:38
    since he says that for some atheism is a religious stance the degree doesn't matter that much
    The degree does matter.

He also said nothing about how many atheists hold that view, although you suggested he did.
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 May '08 04:581 edit

8. Joined
    08 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 May '08 09:50
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Are you doomed to narrow-minded complacency?
    One can beleive in determinism whilst at the same time enjoying the illusory world of free will.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 May '08 07:52
    The degree does matter.

He also said nothing about how many atheists hold that view, although you suggested he did.
    huh? where did i say that?

and i don't think it has any point arguing about semantics with me. i said most. i said many. that doesn't imply a precise quantity, are you gonna argue that? would you perhaps be more comfortable with "slightly more or less than most"?
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    05 May '08 18:02
    huh? where did i say that?

and i don't think it has any point arguing about semantics with me. i said most. i said many. that doesn't imply a precise quantity, are you gonna argue that? would you perhaps be more comfortable with "slightly more or less than most"?
    You said most! Read your post above which says:

ha! you're the first atheist to admit that most atheists are as religious in their beliefs as the fanatics in the traditional religions.

I added the bold to make sure you saw the term you actually used. Otherwise, that's copied and pasted from your post - verify it for yourself.

The term "most" specifically means more than 1/2 and frankly, he didn't even mention anything about how many atheists hold the view - you just extrapolated from that into most atheists believing that.
  11. Joined
    08 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '08 19:57

although for corectness i must admit that most atheists are not like that just like not all religious people insist god created the world in 7 days(or 6) and took a nap afterwards.
    Psychopawn is quite right. I said atheism is a religious stance, ie. it is a comment or opinion or attitude about / on religion. I did not say it was a religion. Your delight is miss-placed and you need to re-think if any atheists believe they are religious. Not many or most.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree